Wiki plans

Rules, announcements, suggestions, elections, and all the other fun things that make our forums tick.
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin
Twitter @: kaitou_

Wiki plans

Post by kaitou »

Or, Wicked Wiki Plotting...

Due to the bot infestation, I went through and nuked all of the accounts that looked like bot accounts, most of which were 6 random character IDs and some that were 10 digits all with the same email address. Apologies to anyone who's account may have been accidentally deleted (I don't think I did, but accidents do happen). This should reduce the amount of spam that shows up on the wiki for now.

In any case, I'm planning on doing a minor upgrade to the wikis Sunday morning (ET).
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin

Re: Wiki plans

Post by kaitou »

Upgrade is done. PM if you find any problems.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Well, at least to 1.6. This is good. Regarding Mediawiki, incremental upgrades are good. I just got nailed making a 1.8.2 to 1.12.0 jump and had to drop and rebuild the entire database (backups are oh so good!). What I did after that was:

1.8.2 -> 1.11.0 (iff I had to do it over again I would take this jump no further than 1.10.0)
1.11.0 -> 1.12.0

There were some major wiki database schema changes at 1.11.0 and a huge amount of derivative changes at 1.12.0
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin

Post by kaitou »

Nice to know. I brought it as far as I could given the base software requirements. Hopefully, after the *BIG UPGRADE*, it will still run and I can upgrade the wiki to something even newer, eventually bringing it up to the latest. I figure I'll have my hands full with any breakages in the web-site, store and forums after the upgradel; so, it's nice to get the wiki in better shape, first.

I noted that the EN wiki is already at 1.6.8; so, I didn't bother (well, yet).

Current planned date for the "BU" is the weekend of July 5 (and, hopefully, just the morning of July 5, but just to play it safe...). Stay tuned for further updates.
kaitou
Almighty Systems Admin

Post by kaitou »

Now that things have mostly settled down since the big upgrade, I think it's time to look into upgrading the wikis.

I'd propose upgrading one partway (as Slamlander indicated, they made several major changes since our last version), then the other the next day, then the next upgrade on one the day following, etc., until both are up to date. This would give us a day to find any major problems with each minor upgrade and two days for each before going to the next stage.

Proposed schedule:
July 14,15 - upgrade to 1.8.5 (one on the 14th, the other on the 15th)
- dropped php4 and mysql3 support at 1.7, no major changes in 1.8.
July 16,17 - upgrade to 1.10.5 - full support for mysql5 at 1.9, schema changes in 1.10.
July 21,22 - upgrade to 1.11.2 - more schema updates.
July 23,24 - upgarde to 1.12.0 - yet more schema changes.

Upgrades will be done in the morning starting around 9 AM EDT (6 AM PDT).

As soon as I hear back from the Wiki mods, I'll confirm the schedule.