Torchwood

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Torchwood

Post by Imp-Chan »

Since we appear to all like Doctor Who, I wanted to ask who is also watching Torchwood?

I find that I like this show almost as much as Doctor Who, but in a very different way. While my enjoyment of Doctor Who is largely related to the frolicking nature of it, I like Torchwood for the darkness. The Doctor always seems to have a right answer somewhere in there. Torchwood doesn't.

Also, I like Captain Jack better than Companion Jack any day.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Re: Torchwood

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Torchwood reminds me very much of Doctor Who meets The Lexx, another underrated scifi show that was prominent for it's overtly dark and sexxy themes, as well as it's bad cheesiness. Captain Jack is awesomeness incarnate; he's the best elements of Captain Kirk, Captain Sparrow, Captain Kangaroo, and Captain Crunch all rolled into one Super-Captain... finally a worthy spin-off anchor who neither emulates nor rides the coat tails of the Doctor. Granted, Cap'n Jack would *like* to ride the coat tails of the Doctor...
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

I do indeed wish to bear Captain Jack's manbabies.
He is essentially the man I want to be. In all things.

Alas, Torchwood is currently denied to me. America needs to invade Britain and steal the BBC.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

It's... it's on BBC America, that's how I'm watching it. Also, on the BBC on Demand thingy.

^-^'
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

I am cursed by inbred, retard-o-vision midwest cable. All the powers of the elemental plane of corn can't seem to get me more than the standard package. I'm screwed until the Scifi Channel or somesuch nefarious entity buys up a chunk of broadcasting rights. *twitch*

And how is it that your avatar is eternally appropriate for whatever you say? Its eerie.
normalphil
Heretical Monk

Post by normalphil »

Labrat wrote:I am cursed by inbred, retard-o-vision midwest cable. All the powers of the elemental plane of corn can't seem to get me more than the standard package. I'm screwed until the Scifi Channel or somesuch nefarious entity buys up a chunk of broadcasting rights. *twitch*
I'm a bit sure that there's a torrent of solutions to that problem.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

*twitch* I should probably mention that I have very strong feelings about the subject of downloading or other forms of piracy, even if, as Jim pointed out to me earlier, it's only stealing from the British. (Actually, my feelings are more about downloading without also buying if we get right down to it, but I personally can't afford to buy stuff, so I don't get to download either).

Anyways, I'm in the midwest, in Cincinnati to be precise. We have that weird digital cable package, because at the time we signed up it was somehow cheaper than regular cable. Then, we just sortof kept it after that. TV is like my one little luxury (see: addiction), because I have 20 years of pop-cultural illiteracy to make up for. Plus, we're out of town working so often that I fell in love with my DVR. I tend to save up shows and then watch them while working on the bookmarks or something, and I only found out about having the BBC America channel because Jim told me at Dragon*Con.

^-^'
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Well, as much as I feel that stealing from foreign powers is the godgiven duty of every coldblooded American, downloading isn't really an option for me. Behold the craptastic wonder of the 56k modem and its equally sadistic collegue, NetZero Dialup. Oh, as if being able to download files only slightly slower than the movement of continental plates wasn't enough, the whole shebang explodes in a bloody spatter after three hours of horrible suffering.

Why do I stay with this infernal concoction of electronics and mortal anguish? I theorize that its because I am stupid. All the time I have spent trolling the internet via this ungodly brain-vice has caused me enough brain damage that I no longer think clearly. Its a vicious cycle, I tell you. Its a vast engine of torture worthy of Hell itself, probably set up somewhere between the pit of flesh-eating lampreys and a Starbucks.
normalphil
Heretical Monk

Post by normalphil »

Labrat wrote:Well, as much as I feel that stealing from foreign powers is the godgiven duty of every coldblooded American, downloading isn't really an option for me.
Ever since the first US showing of Gilbert & Sullivan plays , which some nameless American heroes painstakingly transcribed while witnessing the London showings and returning to civilization with their ill-gotten gains. Hurrah!