Anime that Doesn't Suck

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Re: Anime that Doesn't Suck

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Yeah, I know. If, by some chance, our world would be invaded by a horde of aliens piloting giant robots... about 10 minutes into the chaos, I'd be scaling the nearest robot with a crowbar, looking for the hatch to the cockpit. And I don't care how old I am... I'll ramp my power wheelchair up the leg and scale that bad boy with a cane if I have to. Besides, I'm fairly certain I could pilot a robot with a broken hip.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

That's one of the things I liked about Megas XLR. Coop was a man who was glad to have a giant robot.

As for anime, I watched the Gunsmith Cats OVAs earlier this week. It has (in my opinion) intensely likable characters, a fast-paced story with plenty of gunplay, and impressive attention to detail. It may not be the most cerebral anime out there, but it was fun.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

BloodHenge wrote:That's one of the things I liked about Megas XLR. Coop was a man who was glad to have a giant robot.

As for anime, I watched the Gunsmith Cats OVAs earlier this week. It has (in my opinion) intensely likable characters, a fast-paced story with plenty of gunplay, and impressive attention to detail. It may not be the most cerebral anime out there, but it was fun.
(Gunsmith Cats OVAs are good, but they are still 15 time less good than Gunsmith Cats the mangas)
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Neko7 wrote:
BloodHenge wrote:That's one of the things I liked about Megas XLR. Coop was a man who was glad to have a giant robot.

(Gunsmith Cats OVAs are good, but they are still 15 time less good than Gunsmith Cats the mangas)
Naturally. They're also fifteen times easier to get my hands on.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

I miss Megas XLR. If it'd been on Adult Swim, it'd still be on the air. I suppose I should be glad it made it to a second season, but I can't help it... they always cancel all the cartoons I like. How can crap like "My Gym Partner is a Monkey" or "Camp Lazlo" live whilest Megas is cancelled? Why, god, why? It was like Invader ZIM all over again.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

Viking-Sensei wrote:

I miss Megas XLR. If it'd been on Adult Swim, it'd still be on the air. I suppose I should be glad it made it to a second season, but I can't help it... they always cancel all the cartoons I like. How can crap like "My Gym Partner is a Monkey" or "Camp Lazlo" live whilest Megas is cancelled? Why, god, why? It was like Invader ZIM all over again.
Agreed, Megas and Zim /tear.
I've got around to watching Cowboy Bebop and am enjoyed it well enough, I need to finish Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star for my funny fix.
If you need a Anime dose of B Movie horror i advise Monster Princess (aka Princess Resurrection), so cheezy and yet so good, It strikes the Princess Bride level of so bad it's good for me.

EDIT: OH, i just realized i think i've left out Battle Programmer Shirase, computer geek hilarity just for the sheer volume of computer geek stereotype in it.
Shirase: "Oh no some hacker is breaking in and i'm i can't get to the office in time... got a cell phone?" (some thwarting later) Hacker: "Impossible what kind of godmachine is this guy who's beating me using?!?!" Great series if you're somewhat computer literate just because it runs with the stereotypes so well.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I <3 Shirase.

Long before I met Poe, I wanted a Shirase-sensei of my very own. Brilliant pervy socially awkward characters are awesome.

And then I married one! Bonus!

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Stick & String
Forum Regular

Post by Stick & String »

I like the "Ghost in the Shell" franchise.
The 2 feature length movies are good quality as far as the storyline, and image quality. Have to say I am still a fan of good cop shows.
Just sat down and watched the stand alone complex. I understand this series was run on the toon network (notice the lack of any rough language and the fact the major was dressed like a pole dancer most of the time), so I am assuming they produced it just for that reason, mainstream US audiences.
I love the quality of films from Miyazaki Hayao (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and most films now reffered to as from 'Studio Ghibli', thanks to distribution deal with Disney). His film "Howl's Moving Castle" has made its way into being a regular on the pay cable channels, as has "Akira".
One series that fomerly was in that status was "Bubble Gum Crisis". Not sure what happened, but that has seemed to dissapear from the video stores as well as from pay cable.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Stick & String wrote:His film "Howl's Moving Castle" has made its way into being a regular on the pay cable channels
Despite the fact that it butchered the book...
Ezelek
New Poster

Post by Ezelek »

Not a single on of you has mentioned Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann. This is very disappointing, if you do not know the glory of drills, sunglasses, and burning spirit, then you have not yet begun to live.