too busy dieing right now to to finish it up in time.

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

too busy dieing right now to to finish it up in time.

Post by Slamlander »

Does he have the dreaded Manflu?
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Re: too busy dieing right now to to finish it up in time.

Post by Imp-Chan »

Well... every time he coughs, he really does sound like he's dying. And I appear to be catching either something new, or whatever he's got.

Goody.

-_-'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Slamlander
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Imp-Chan wrote:Well... every time he coughs, he really does sound like he's dying. And I appear to be catching either something new, or whatever he's got.

Goody.

-_-'

Not good. Go see a doctor about probable pneumonia.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

We have no health insurance, and nowhere near enough income to spend it on luxuries like health care. A doctor is not an option. We haven't even been able to take Poe to a doctor to get his regular meds that he still needs for the damage done when he had cancer as a kid. The only reason I'm still medicated is because my doctor only charges $50 a session, and sees me approximately every four months to make sure that, yup, my bipolar disorder has not magically gone away yet and the drugs aren't killing me and are working still. I imagine that if we didn't KNOW I become dangerous unmedicated, she wouldn't be so nice about still treating me.

We did try to get health insurance, but since I'm bipolar and Poe's had cancer, we're essentially uninsurable. If one or the other of us went out and got a job with a large company so that we could join group health insurance, that might get us covered, but that's pretty much the only way short of socialized health care that we'll be able to see a doctor instead of just waiting to get over it. (I suppose I could technically apply for disability, and that might help, but I don't think being a danger to myself and others if not properly medicated is commonly perceived as being quite on the same level as not being able to walk or see. Frankly, as long as I CAN mostly take care of myself, I'm reluctant to take financial aid away from those who need it more.)

-_-'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that Impy. I had no idea things were that bad. Living in Canada, we don't have these problems, (insurance problems, not the medical ones. We have lots of those.) so it really pisses me off when I hear about people who can't afford basic health care. Our government can afford it, why can't others! (Granted, we pay quite a bit in taxes, but you don't feel it as acutely.)

On the bright side, you could always move to Canada!

Hope the two of you get better soon. Take care of Poe, 'cause I don't want to have Errant Story fucked up like Brian Herbert did with his dad's legacy.

Thinking of you.
Slamlander

Post by Slamlander »

Actually, it's getting worse. Being uninsurable also goes a long way towards making you unemployable, by same large corps. However, given your respective histories, have you looked into Medicare?

I am sorry to hear about that. But it sounds like Poe has, at least, a bad case of bronchitis, on top of his viral infection.

Are any of the candidates talking about Health Insurance issues?
Emigrating to Canada may be an option. :shock:
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

DarkIntruder wrote:Living in Canada, we don't have these problems, (insurance problems, not the medical ones. We have lots of those.) so it really pisses me off when I hear about people who can't afford basic health care. Our government can afford it, why can't others!
What's your military budget?
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

About 9.8 billion, vs 623 billion for the U.S.

However, I fail to see what that has to do with anything. Having the money to afford something necessary(from a social perspective) and instead spending a vast amount more on something unecessary does not qualify as an excuse in my book. Our government also make much less, both in tax revenue, and via industry, seeing as we're a smaller country. (In population, anyways. Land area wise, we're actually bigger.)
Slamlander

Post by Slamlander »

Larger but mostly frozen ;)

Eliminate the 700BUSD expense and the polecates still wouldn't spend it on healthcare. They'd turn it into tax cuts. Healthcare is not a National Issue.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

The US (as a country, not just government) spends about 3% of GDP on the military (maybe bigger these days) and 15% on health care. Other First World countries spend 1-3% on defense and 10% on health care. They also have longer life expectancies, and somewhat smaller GDP per capita (though that gets tricky). The idea that other countries can afford universal health care only because we're defending them is bunk.

And yes, most of the Democratic candidates have been talking about (nearly) universal health care, though mostly through Frankenstein "require everyone to be insured and subsidize those who can't afford it and disallow companies from rejecting people" plans rather than just extending Medicare to all. Though I think one includes the latter as a backup.