too busy dieing right now to to finish it up in time.

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Re: too busy dieing right now to to finish it up in time.

Post by zanntos »

Viking-Sensei wrote: Also... while this discussion is awesome and I don't want to do anything to stop it, I'm thinking we ought to migrate it to Current Events and Debate at some point. Any strong objections?
It is a bit off-topic for the main Errant Story Threads, i'd have no objection to moving it to Current Events and Debate. Since that seems to be mostly what we're doing at this point.

Heh, i can sympathize with Poe on the dentist thing, i HAVE dental and i haven't gone in several years, though more out of sheer apathy than dread. My teeth aren't bothering me so why go to a guy who gets PAID to tell you that there are a hundred things wrong that he wants to "fix."
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Slamlander wrote: That's the problem, they are self-employed. That makes it even harder than usual. They are evil, greedy, self-employed buggers that don't deserve ANY help because they have millions, of hidden illicit tax gains, stashed in hidden Swiss accounts anyway! Yes, the left-wingers are that bad! Yes, I've been too long a target of that thinking (Berkley, CA, F-O).

Ah, the old conservative opinion that if your self employed and not making oodles of money, then you must be either stupid or have started a "wrong" business. Either way, it means they won't help you, because it's your own fault your not making enough money. ;)

Gotta love 'em.
Last edited by DarkIntruder on January 11th, 2008, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neko7
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Neko7 »

Imp-Chan wrote:If you folks want to brainstorm ways of us getting insured, go for it. Here are our ideal-life requirements:

1) Whatever insurance you wind up hypothetically getting us has to cover us (with actual, useful coverage, not pretend coverage) for less than what all our meds and regular doctor's visits cost now (that's about $3000 a year at the moment). Or at least it has to cover us for something approximating the same amount, not counting copays.

2) It would be really cool if it covered Poe's doctor visits to get his prescriptions, or my doctor's visits for my prescriptions, or even just either of our existing prescriptions. Since these pre-existing conditions are known to be costing us thousands of dollars a year out of pocket, not covering them doesn't do us a whole hell of a lot of good.

3) Dental coverage would be excellent. Poe hasn't seen a dentist in years and years, because he hasn't been covered and has a tiny little phobia about them (claims he'll need to be unconscious to go, but I'm willing to arrange that).

^-^'
(Immigrate to canada, deport yourself to england, apply for french citizenship. ...anyone else?)
Shadowydreamer
New Poster

Post by Shadowydreamer »

Well.. I'd marry Imp-chan and make her do my cooking, but I wouldn't know what to do with Poe.. so they'd have to find a new way into Canada. :)

..and btw, I think its very silly that self-employed play by different rules.. income is income not matter how much, or little, there is.

-Shady.
(Not actually gay, but isn't flirt-picky. :)
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Well, it's a little more complicated then that. At any rate, I found a guide for Americans thinking of immigrating to Canada, and requirements for self employed people wishing to do so.

Guide:

Requirements:

I realize that in no way is this a reasonable course of action, and would only be employed in the most extreme of cases. But it does show you your options.
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

Shadowydreamer wrote: think its very silly that self-employed play by different rules.. income is income not matter how much, or little, there is.
Yes, it's silly but it's also business. Government and bigger size companies can negotiate group deals, that's the problem with being self employed is you don't get group rates you're a single person and it's less "stable" to the provider. They want to work in big units and big "deals" with companies, so working on an individual level is a pain to them and as such they want to raise the cost to make it worth their time.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Painful as it is to admit it, I have long suspected that a goodly portion of the REASON I'm self-employed is because this is the one job that I know I can hold, where my boss understands my disorder and won't fire me for spending three days too depressed to move once in a while. She'll still bitch at me for it, but I won't lose my job or take up all my vacation time just trying to put myself back together, and that's a major difference from virtually any other form of employment.

Being bipolar is something that I can and do cope with, but the nature of the beast is that it has ups and downs, and those can get crippling. A "real" job isn't built in such a way that I can necessarily keep it when my disorder does become crippling... it's a fact that I've not once held a "real" job for longer than about nine months, and part of the reason for that is because I truly cannot cope with a set schedule long term. No matter how determined I am or how hard I try, I just... can't do it. I'm not a big one for believing in can't, so it is unbelievably hard for me to say there's anything I can't do, but there it is. I have to wonder if anyone would even hire me, if they knew going in that every so often I would be incapable of going to work. It certainly doesn't sound like the ideal first choice for an employee, does it?

That being the case, it does seem singularly unfair that the system is set up to withhold help precisely because I found a way to take care of myself instead of just giving up and relying on the system to take care of me, but that's life. Though it hurts my pride terribly to face it, being bipolar does mean I have a disability, and it took me until this year to admit that... I'm still not sure I fully understand it, though.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Imp-Chan wrote:Painful as it is to admit it, I have long suspected that a goodly portion of the REASON I'm self-employed is because this is the one job that I know I can hold, where my boss understands my disorder and won't fire me for spending three days too depressed to move once in a while. She'll still bitch at me for it, but I won't lose my job or take up all my vacation time just trying to put myself back together, and that's a major difference from virtually any other form of employment.

Being bipolar is something that I can and do cope with, but the nature of the beast is that it has ups and downs, and those can get crippling. A "real" job isn't built in such a way that I can necessarily keep it when my disorder does become crippling... it's a fact that I've not once held a "real" job for longer than about nine months, and part of the reason for that is because I truly cannot cope with a set schedule long term. No matter how determined I am or how hard I try, I just... can't do it. I'm not a big one for believing in can't, so it is unbelievably hard for me to say there's anything I can't do, but there it is. I have to wonder if anyone would even hire me, if they knew going in that every so often I would be incapable of going to work. It certainly doesn't sound like the ideal first choice for an employee, does it?

That being the case, it does seem singularly unfair that the system is set up to withhold help precisely because I found a way to take care of myself instead of just giving up and relying on the system to take care of me, but that's life. Though it hurts my pride terribly to face it, being bipolar does mean I have a disability, and it took me until this year to admit that... I'm still not sure I fully understand it, though.'
My sister had the same problem as a diabetic. She would be sick enough to be put in an emergency room several times a year and lose days of work every time. She was a thoroughly competent secretary and restaraunt manager, but could not keep a job with that kind of down rate and with that kind of "pre-existing" condition. For all of that, she didn't qualify as "disabled" and could not get help with her bills from the government or anyone else. She and her husband moved to Gillette, Wyoming and worked five part-time jobs between them, while she found a office manager job in a small business that paid few benefits but was run by very tolerant and kindly owners.
Sheik Yerbouti
Forum Trainee

Post by Sheik Yerbouti »

One thing they've been advertising all over the place in New York is the Freelancer's Union: http://www.freelancersunion.org/

Some of the better programs are only in the New York area, unfortunately, but they have some sort of health plans they offer through Golden Rule in Ohio. The plans have a cost estimator here: https://www.goldenrulehealth.com/custom ... isplay=FLU. I tried doing a little bit of research, but I really have no idea what exactly you need, so I didn't get to far. Also, they don't seem to be the kind of plan you probably want (see below). The Ohio State Insurance Department has a listing of insurance providers here: http://www.ohioinsurance.gov/Company/sc ... County.asp. In some places, there's at least one provider that will have to write you, although they may not have to cover you for pre-existing conditions (that you've been treated for/advised on in the last six months) for up to one year. Now, I don't know about Ohio, but in NY they have some programs with artificially low rates if your income is under a certain level. The Ohio insurance dept. (see earlier link) would have info on that.

Random other, less practical advice: You'll probably get the best rates if you go into a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) rather than some other kind of plan--they're the least expensive way for the most coverage. You'll have to use their providers, doctors, hospitals, etc. and they might have some silly rules, but given what you've said about your current situation that doesn't seem to be too much of an issue. HMOs usually offer better prescription coverage, too. They're better than a high-deductible health plan (those don't pay you until you incur a certain minimum expense--often around $5,000 from what I've seen) or a health savings account (you have to put money in to get it out). Also, it seems like you might want mental health insurance (an HMO should provide mental health benefits); generally that would include drugs and the like. Interestingly, there's an act that says insurance companies have to pay as much for mental health as physical health (i.e. have the same benefit cutoffs and things), although it's conceivable that only applies to corporate plans. By the by, it's not inconceivable you might qualify for something like medicaid--I don't know your situation at all, but it can't hurt to at least check: http://www.cms.hhs.gov/. Also, for reference, the Social Security disability/SSI info is here: http://www.ssa.gov/d&s1.htm.

The Freelancer's Union also offers group-rate (i.e. cheaper, like a company plan) disability, dental(!), and life insurance in all 50 states, so you might find that beneficial. In any case, joining the Union would offer some national discounts and other benefits, so Poe might want to anyway--I can't imagine he wouldn't meet the requirements.

Also, don't feel bad about getting disability. The fact is, there are a lot of things that are simply out of our control. It's not like it's your fault, and so there's no need to be ashamed of it. Just do what's best for your situation.

Anyway, hope that was helpful, and hope you both get better and stay that way.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:One thing they've been advertising all over the place in New York is the Freelancer's Union: http://www.freelancersunion.org/

Anyway, hope that was helpful, and hope you both get better and stay that way.
On an entirely unrelated note, I just worked out your username. Very funny. Perhaps, with all this talk of HMOs and evil corperations and the average person being trod upon by the industrial machine, we've forgotten the real truth. Laughter is the best medicine.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?