The VikingSpace Webcomic Project

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

The VikingSpace Webcomic Project

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Just to be completely clear, this project is not directly or indirectly related with CAS, Errant Story, or anything Poe is doing. I don't normally use this forum to further my own individual agendas... but this once, I'm making an exception.

As some of you may know, I have a website (http://www.vikingspace.com) that I'm not really using. My own webcomic ("Jim The Viking") has been more-or-less abandoned for several years now, and I'm currently dedicating most of my creative time to helping Poe out here or the series of novels I'm working on. Instead of just letting the space go to waste, I've decided that I'm going to give back to the community by founding what is essentially a "webcomic commune".

Having been a struggling webcomic artist once upon a time myself, I know how difficult it can be trying to get your unique comic vision and/or view out there without getting lost in the rat race (aka Keenspace or whatever it's called now) or having to fork up money you don't have on a chance that you might make it back in ad revenue. I was lucky enough to have a friend who offered me a place to "squat" on his website until I was sure if I wanted to take the plunge and pay for a site myself... so I figure that's the least I could do back.

Here's the rundown on more-or-less what I'm offering:
  • Ad-free unlimited space and bandwidth
    A _____.vikingspace.com redirect to your page
    Up to 3 _____@vikingspace.com email addresses
    A floaty link on the main Vikingspace.com front page
    Your own forum in the Comics section of my forums
    A blog (once the blog section is up and running)
    Limited html and php help (I can set up a basic website off any number of templates, including a WALRUS php script to display your webcomics... or you can design your own)
    Almost no restrictions to content
    ... oh, and it's free.
I'll have a Terms-of-Service up later, but basically it's going to consist of a fancily written "Don't abuse my hospitality or I'll kick your ass."

So, would any of you be interested?
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Re: The VikingSpace Webcomic Project

Post by zanntos »

Maybe eventually, right now i'd end up mostly using it for a sketch dump as i'm mostly just doodling in my free time when not playing my video games or studying my Japanese (via actual study or geeking out on anime and manga :p )