Concerts and gigs that don't suck.

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Concerts and gigs that don't suck.

Post by DarkIntruder »

As the title says, let's hear any good concerts or shows you've been to lately. Or the best gigs you've been to, ever. Either way.

I'll go first. (Really, why do you think I started this?)

Last night I went to see Flogging Molly in Toronto. I seem to recall Poe listening to them at one point, but I could be mistaken. It's been a while since they've toured up here, since the lead singer had green card problems, and the anticipation had been building.

Let me just preface this by saying that I've been to some wild shows, but this one takes the cake. A medium sized club, packed like sardines (think 500 people or more), most under 25 and most of them completely smashed, all of them moshing their hearts out and crushing us poor souls at the front.

I got kicked in the head, had my coat ripped in half (I stupidly forwent the coat check to get standing room right at the front barrier), and almost had my neck broken by one of the 30+ crowd surfers sailing over the security barrier. I also may have knocked the lights out of a drunken frat boy who was slam dancing with his fist whirling, but I can't remember.

Also, the drunken girl (who was probably underage) that I was smushed up against took a fancy to me. It was vaguely disturbing (I'm 20), as she was quite affectionate. However, I can't deny that I reciprocated her affections at least partially. I mean, we were smashed up against each other, and certain body parts seem to have a will of their own. ;)

However, I can also state that it was probably one of the best shows I have ever had the privilege of attending. Flogging Molly is one of the few bands who's onstage energy matches the crowds energy. Dave King the lead singer, despite being 47 years old, completely fucking blew me away with his stage presence. If you ever have a chance to see this band live, then do so. Otherwise you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Anyways, enough about me. Anyone else have any crazy concert antics to share?
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Re: Concerts and gigs that don't suck.

Post by Labrat »

I am the Blue Man Group's private man-bitch.
Though, admittedly, I would show up to every single Oompa-loompa concert were they offered. I have problems.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

When you hear about one of these groups or venues staging "An Elf Princess In Farrel," get back to me.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Way back when, I went to see a "H.O.R.D.E. Fest" venue... this is like 98, keep in mind... and it was awesome. Alana Davis (whom I still like despite her falling into relative obscurity), Smashing Pumpkins, Barenaked Ladies, and Blues Traveler. Of all the bands playing, BNL was by far the best... they put on an awesome show, major crowd participation, just lots of fun. They even played several of Fastball's songs (Fastball was scheduled to attend, but something came up), albeit in their own unique style.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

I high-fived David Copperfield once.

I also accused Jeff Foxworthy of having sex with a cactus.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Jeff Foxworthy sexually molested my cactus. Nine months later, it had kittens.
*sniff*