So that's where the "kilt craze" came from...

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

So that's where the "kilt craze" came from...

Post by DarkIntruder »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbXQSQPEpbI

I have yet to see a worse perversion of Scottish heritage. Yes, I've seen some pretty bad ones at RenFaires and Highland games, (the man dressed as a Captain Jack/Braveheart abomination doing cartwheels comes to mind), but this takes the cake.

Seriously, I wasn't around for most of the 80's, so was it just temporary cultural insanity, or what?

"and thus, Scottish nationalism was born...." :D
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Re: So that's where the "kilt craze" came from...

Post by Viking-Sensei »

I always sort of wanted a kilt.

I mean, it's not fair - women have so many options for below the waist garments - dresses, skirts, capri pants, hip-huggers, stretchy pants, and all sorts of other variations... what do men get? Pants and shorts. Creepy guy aside, I still defend the concept of kilts.

Also, the drummer girl about half way through was kind of cute.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Oh, I have nothing against kilts. Personally, I will probably own one at some point in the future. You have to have the legs for it though. Long live the MUG!(male unbifurcated garment)

It's the fact that people (those with Scottish or Irish heritage) believe that just throwing on a modern kilt and getting smashed is celebrating the culture, and or portraying a historically accurate image, despite the fact that the kilt only came into being around the end of the 16th century, and it was just a large plaid piece of fabric wrapped around the body.

The video is typical of the 80's, though you still see the same attitude today. Go to any renaissance faire, and count the number of "genericelts" in kilts. I guarantee you that they will probably outnumber any other culture there...

Viking-Sensei wrote:Also, the drummer girl about half way through was kind of cute.
Yeah, but I think her cuteness was overshadowed by the horror of the kilted breakdancing.

I mean, it's not fair - women have so many options for below the waist garments - dresses, skirts, capri pants, hip-huggers, stretchy pants, and all sorts of other variations... what do men get? Pants and shorts. Creepy guy aside, I still defend the concept of kilts.

Actually, there is another option. Chausses!!!!

http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart ... p=96&c=137
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

Chausses, i had no idea what those were before that link and now another small piece of my soul has died.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Viking-Sensei wrote:I mean, it's not fair - women have so many options for below the waist garments - dresses, skirts, capri pants, hip-huggers, stretchy pants, and all sorts of other variations... what do men get? Pants and shorts.
Personally, I like it that way. I have enough choices to make in a day as it is.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

zanntos wrote:Chausses, i had no idea what those were before that link and now another small piece of my soul has died.

Wait, it gets better!

Hose!!!(or tights, if you prefer.) Now with integral codpiece!!

http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart ... p=99&c=138

This is either better then the chausses, or much worse, depending on your point of view.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I have found a sure fire cure for those times when I miss the 80s. A pity that video counts as a violation of the Geneva Convention...

Also: http://www.utilikilts.com/

Store I saw in Seattle. (Gives a certain forum member a significant look). Kilts for everyday living! I want one of their black Leather kilts. It'd be a whole new goth look...
Vavrek
Errant Scholar

Post by Vavrek »

*Returns Sareth's Significant Look with one of his own*

I actually know a guy who wears those. Works for Microsoft, doing... something... I can never tell what it is that people who work for Microsoft actually do.

As for the video... Impressive find, DarkIntruder. I enjoyed the long flying phallus scene. I mean sword. Flying sword. ¬_¬
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I've been plotting to buy Poe a utilikilt for about two years now. I had to promise him I'd get him one with cargo pockets before he'd agree to wear it, though. Something about needing a place to keep art supplies at all times...

As my friends learned when we all dressed up for the Rocky, Poe does indeed have the legs for a skirt. Personally, I think it's a very nice look on him. I may be culturally biased, though... menfolks among the liberal quakers I grew up with were never shy about wearing skirts when the weather called for it, so I don't really think of kilts as kilts so much as I think of them as being appropriate and flattering summer-wear for men.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

I would wear one if I could justify spending that much on a piece of clothing.

As for the cargo pockets, those are okay, but you really have to go authentic, and get a sporran.

Also, without one hanging down in front, a good stiff breeze will lift the front flap of the kilt. I'll leave up to you to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

On another note, for those brave of heart, I've found a longer, better quality version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOad0FU9 ... re=related

There's more as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw91zI9O ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ab9e838 ... re=related

You can thank me later. I haven't seen them all the way through. I kept reaching for the eye bleach.