Anime that sucks but we love anyway

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Re: Anime that sucks but we love anyway

Post by zanntos »

Viking-Sensei wrote:
Labrat wrote:I'm telling you. This forum could sit down for three consecutive nights and write up a season's worth of script and basic storyboard. And it would be brilliant.
I'd be game. What, figure on 26 episodes for a normal anime series... I think this could be a fun writing challenge. We pick a series that ended prematurely, and we extend it... not like writing out crappy fanfic, more like structuring the plot and blocking out the episodes and arcs so that the series *COULD* continue without it's source manga.
That would be a truely epic challenge, particularly if it still needs to stay fairly loyal to the source material. Take something like Battle Programmer Shirase and add another 26 episodes, how many excuses can you come up with for him to be caught in an innocent, but looks wrong out of context, situation every time he gets a new task. But you have to do it because it was a consistent theme in the original. And it gets worse with other series that are longer or have a decent amount manga that the series comes from, unless you willfully just fork off what you are doing from the original source material.

Hard balance between making it able to stand on its own verses still being the series.
NoldorForce
New Poster

Post by NoldorForce »

Labrat wrote:I like Bleach. It has some awesome moments. But then it has those nightmarish moments where you sit back and realize that you have been watching a reverse-gender Magical Girl series for a couple of seasons and didn't even know it.
There are a number of series that straddle the line between Magical Girl and Superpower Shonen. Ostensibly the division is in how much melodrama occurs, or how feminine/masculine characters act.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Whoop. Posted something pertaining to an anime which most certainly doesn't suck.
Moved it over thisaway.
gambit3le
Forum Regular

Post by gambit3le »

One Anime I watched that sucked was
"Samurai Deeper KYO"... (Don't waste your time. It sucks.)

One Anime I watched that sucked but had redeeming moments was:
"The Vision of Escaflowne"... (this show tried so hard to not suck that it ended up sucking... a bit)
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

gambit3le wrote:One Anime I watched that sucked but had redeeming moments was:
"The Vision of Escaflowne"... (this show tried so hard to not suck that it ended up sucking... a bit)
The movie version had a few interesting visuals in regards to the titular mecha. The lovecraftian organic look was glorious, particularly when it pulled part of its own body out as a sword. And having the thing visibly suck the pilot's blood to use as fuel was just pure awesome.

The rest ranged between mediocre and suck.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

There's an awesome humor-based fandub of it called Nescaflone, where it's all about coffee... the giant mecha are called "roasters", our main character is renamed "Juan Valdez"... it goes on from there, but it's hilarious.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
wonderandawe
New Poster

Post by wonderandawe »

I have a love of Matantei Loki Ragnarok, though it has the annoying anime girl in it. Hate the annoying anime girl stereo type.

I also liked Mi Hime. It was annoying until it got serious. Then it was awesome.

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1193 ... oki__.html
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

wonderandawe wrote:I have a love of Matantei Loki Ragnarok, though it has the annoying anime girl in it. Hate the annoying anime girl stereo type.

I also liked Mi Hime. It was annoying until it got serious. Then it was awesome.

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1193 ... oki__.html
Mai HiMe actually was pretty good. Although it was really, really confusing towards the middle.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Labrat wrote:
gambit3le wrote:One Anime I watched that sucked but had redeeming moments was:
The movie version had a few interesting visuals in regards to the titular mecha. The lovecraftian organic look was glorious, particularly when it pulled part of its own body out as a sword. And having the thing visibly suck the pilot's blood to use as fuel was just pure awesome.

The rest ranged between mediocre and suck.
Agreed. I gave up on the series after a half-dozen episodes because I couldn't stand the whining anymore. Emoting, emoting, emoting, scene after scene, too forced and cliched to be believable. The good visuals didn't make up for the irritation.

I know a lot of people didn't like Twelve Kingdoms because Youko cried so much, but, since I actually believed in the story, I figure she had a helluva lot of good reasons to cry. Great series, overall, and I wish they'd try it again with more resources and more stories.
DaManRando
Forum Trainee

Post by DaManRando »

Kiddy Grade... Annoying plot twists and the last couple episodes pretty much every character spends the entire time pulling new powers out of their asses.