April Fools Day pranks

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

April Fools Day pranks

Post by Viking-Sensei »

I'm a big fan of April Fools, as some of you might have noticed. One of the things I love to see is what wacky stuff people throw up on the internet as part of the festivities... so I invite, nay, beseech you all to post links to things which have done gone wacky.

For example, how about the newly announced Bard Class for WoW. Apparently, it's the class that goes up to 11.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: April Fools Day pranks

Post by Sareth »

Fans of MegaTokyo may have noticed Fred's plan for Global Domination... (It's in his rant below the comic)

http://www.megatokyo.com/
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Darths & Droids claimed to have gotten a C&D order from Lucas Films, necessitating a switch from screencaps to homemade pictures. (You can still see yesterday's comic if you mouse over the current one.)

There's also a healthy list in the VG Cats news post (my favorite being the live action Legend of Zelda movie trailer at IGN).
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Of course, the worst part about the Zelda thing is that it really would do well, if they'd actually do it. In fact, I'd say for the amount of effort they put into that trailer, they really ought to just go ahead and do it.

It reminds me... they had a big special about Gilligan's Island on tv 3 or 4 years back where they'd hired a cast of actors to play both the original actors and their respective on-screen characters... and they completely rebuilt the entire GI set, complete with giant on-sound-stage lagoon... and at the end of filming the special, somebody said "You know, we've already got the set built and a cast hired... we do have the entire fourth season of unshot scripts (GI was canceled days before season 4 was supposed to start filming) and all the rights... we could actually do this." But in the end, they did not, which I think is a terrible waste.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

There were a few I saw, but most have been changed back now.

Dr. Hastings of course still has his April Fool's comic up: Dr McNinja

Oh, and here's a wonderful April Fool's prank on the main page of an Armourer's website:

http://www.ageofarmour.com/index.html
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

By the way, do any of you want your avatars restored? I think I "enhanced" four or five of you. I saved the original avatars on my computer in case you didn't have a copy of them, but at the same time I didn't want to deprive you of the modified one without warning, so was hesitant to roll back my changes.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Eh, you can leave mine up. I have the original saved, so after a few days I may change it back.

Though, would it have hurt you to improve upon my shitty colouring job? ;)
zanntos
Errant Scholar

Post by zanntos »

Mine's fine, i'll probably re-up my original at some point but i like my avatar mod, I thought it was marvelously creative.
Vavrek
Errant Scholar

Post by Vavrek »

You know the weird thing? I didn't do any posting on the first. So this morning was the first time I saw my new avatar. It's still a mild shock every time I see it, but don't worry about restoring it. I've got the original (full sized) image stored on my computer, in addition to however many resized avatar versions... I'll set it back to normal when/if I feel like it.

But hey, thanks, it was a mighty surprise to go "What the hell?!" and remember somebody commenting something about avatars yesterday.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

I'm planning to ditch the avatar after this round of ES Mafia ends anyway.

Oh, and as long as I'm here, another prank: Baka-Tsuki, a site dedicated to translating Japanese novels into English (particularly the Haruhi series), also claimed to have received a Cease & Desist order. Sadly, all their pages redirected to the prank page, with no link to the actual content...