Doctor Who...

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Doctor Who...

Post by Imp-Chan »

Jim and my friend John (who does not post here so far as I know) have now introduced me to this marvel. It was one of the highlights of the trip to Dragon*Con. The current Doctor is adorable, especially in all his arrogant pain-in-the-arse Time Lordy goodness.

So... quick, someone tell me where I can find ALL of it! Yes, I mean the books and radio too. Poe is asleep right now and can't stop me from my usual new fandom obsessing for as long as he's sick, anyways. *cackles evilly and goes off to see if her trusty DVR has recorded any more of it since last she checked*

^-^'

Edit: Saw another episode with The Family of the Blood. The Doctor is so not cute when he snivels. Just so we're clear.
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Re: Doctor Who...

Post by Viking-Sensei »

I'm glad to see that you took to it as well as you did. Since you've always been generally time-travel-a-phobic, I didn't think you'd like it nearly as much as you apparently did.

For a large volume of classic Who-dom, I strongly recommend stage6.divx.com. They have an unreasonably large collection of Doctor Who episodes, both classic and current... just search.

If you're looking into the classic Doctor Who... and this is going to start a debate, I know it is... but I strongly recommend starting with the fourth doctor, Tom Baker. He was the curly hair/teeth/scarf doctor that's usually the 'iconic' Doctor. There's some very good stuff from 1, 2, and 3... however the series really hits it's stride somewhere mid-fourth Doctor. The Key To Time saga is one hell of a huge story arc, but the White Guardian/Black Guardian aspect is really cool. Also, I <3 Romana, so I may be somewhat prejudiced.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

I am currently trying to picture Impy’s reaction to the crap they pulled on the poor Doctor in the last two episodes.
Spoiler: show
First he goes geriatric to the point where he made the previous pope in his last year of life look stunningly hot by comparison. Then, interestingly enough, he goes freeze-dried and mutates into the bastard child of Gollum from LotR and the freaky house-elf from the Harry Potter movies. I mean, he may be British... but son of a bitch.
What the hell does a sight like that do to a dedicated fangirl? It boggles the mind.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Okay, so the Doctor in those episodes was admittedly less than cuddly-looking...

But honestly, this particular fangirling of mine is not about that to begin with. Sure, it helps that Tennant's cute and all, but the photos or even paused frames from anywhere in the series aren't THAT great, so clearly the attraction isn't just the looks. Once the show is running and you can see him talk and move and practically even THINK as the Doctor... well, the tenth Doctor is irresistibly charismatic, to the point where it doesn't matter if he's occasionally turned into creepy little cricket men or not. As a newly formed and now very dedicated tenth Doctor fangirl, it's safe to say I'd go adventuring with him in a millisecond... (and I wouldn't hesitate one moment about getting up to some hanky panky in the Tardis, either). Not being a certain boy-next-door time agent, I only get to live once, right?

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Ditto on both the adventure and the hanky panky. Somehow the goons in charge of cast selection managed to steal the only good looking people in all of England. Man, women, Jack. All freakishly hot and smooth of wit, movement and tongue. And not only hot. These people actually have personality.

It warms my heart that for the first time ever the Doctor's companions are actually competent and fully fleshed out human beings. Previously, they were shallow plot conveniences who existed solely to run away from monsters. And the whole show actually has some overarcing purpose beyond episodic, monster of the week pap. I was practically suckled on Doctor Who and only now is it actually getting good.

The last two Doctors have finally stepped up to being gods cast in human form. A rare and delicious treat.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Labrat wrote:It warms my heart that for the first time ever the Doctor's companions are actually competent and fully fleshed out human beings. Previously, they were shallow plot conveniences who existed solely to run away from monsters.
I'd have to argue that neither Romana nor Leela were cut from the standard run-away-from-monsters cloth. Granted, they both (all three, technically, since there were two Romanas) had certain... ahem... assets... that made viable for the late seventies, neither of them did a great deal of running away and were only kidnapped and held hostage upon occasion. Nothing like Jo Grant, Sarah, Nyssa... I could go on.

Come to think of it, Liz Shaw didn't do the standard hostage terror companion well either... but then again, she only lasted a season and wasn't involved in the Doctor's adventures half the time, so she probably doesn't count.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Point.

I'm still not sure I would consider said companions to be 'fully fleshed out'... but I am willing to admit that there was far less running than usual. The cast was kept at least halfway two-dimensional and gimmicky until the new season. Most characters, even the Doctor himself, could have the whole of their being written on the back of a used napkin without leaving anything out.

But that was by no means unusual for the era.
normalphil
Heretical Monk

Post by normalphil »

Viking-Sensei wrote:
Labrat wrote:It warms my heart that for the first time ever the Doctor's companions are actually competent and fully fleshed out human beings. Previously, they were shallow plot conveniences who existed solely to run away from monsters.
I'd have to argue that neither Romana nor Leela were cut from the standard run-away-from-monsters cloth. Granted, they both (all three, technically, since there were two Romanas) had certain... ahem... assets... that made viable for the late seventies, neither of them did a great deal of running away and were only kidnapped and held hostage upon occasion. Nothing like Jo Grant, Sarah, Nyssa... I could go on.

Come to think of it, Liz Shaw didn't do the standard hostage terror companion well either... but then again, she only lasted a season and wasn't involved in the Doctor's adventures half the time, so she probably doesn't count.
In the dim mists of memory I seem to recall a jacobite maniac with a claymore in there somewhere. He was cool.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Saw this, thought it was very cute.

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/080206/cx_ ... BHA38HVIV4

And true.