So You Think You Can Dance

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

So You Think You Can Dance

Post by Imp-Chan »

I love dance, so I was all excited to watch the start of this season of "So You Think You Can Dance." I watch every dancing show I can find, but had somehow missed that one up until now. So I started watching pretty certain that I would be watching for the whole season.

Except then, a ballroom couple that auditioned was all men, one gay and one straight. They weren't the greatest dancers, and didn't get onto the show, and I was fine with that part because I love dance and only want to watch the best dancers. What I don't want to watch, and was pretty much sickened by, was the outright mockery of the couple for their presumed sexuality. Nigel's behavior in response to the male ballroom couple was in just such appallingly bad taste, both for the assumptions he made and for the condemnation that he displayed. Beyond that, the other judges let the assessment of the dancers be colored by their hangups about the masculine partnership, with only the choreographer making a valid dancing-related point, and the show was edited to mock the dancer's inevitable dismissal with the use of a song about needing a woman. I was left so disgusted by Nigel's smug dismissal of the idea of males as a valid couple, in dancing or otherwise, that I could not even bring myself to finish the episode.

The blatant bigotry has really ruined the show for me, and that breaks my heart, because as I've mentioned at least twice here, I truly love dance. I adore these dance competitions because they address not only that love but also my inability to witness anything without thinking up in-depth critique. Fox's decision to air this intolerance implies a condonation of the attitude which I see as very unfortunate, even if not entirely unexpected. So I will not be watching the show, and it makes me sad, because both the audience and those dancers deserve better than what they're getting.

Did anyone else watch this? Thoughts?

-_-'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: So You Think You Can Dance

Post by Sareth »

I'm not into those shows. Which is a pity because it means telling Fox they've lost a viewer over it won't carry much weight. Really, what you just related is simply appalling to me.

I really think you should let Fox know what you think. You alone won't make a difference. You and a few hundred thousand individuals like you, on the other hand, can. Especially if you point out that if they offend enough people through this sort of behavior, then they will lose watchers, which means fewer people watching the ADVERTISING that PAYS their salaries.

If they want to offer that sort of attitude anyway, that's their right, but that doesn't mean we have to just ignore it.

Disgusting.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I did send a complaint letter already.

The man is entitled to his opinions, but I want nothing to do with them.

-_-'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

What 'So You Think You Can Dance' should have been like.
Saw it and had to break out the necromancy.
Sareth wrote:I'm actually going to rule that this is definitely a case of coitus interuptus prematurus gawdammiticus.