That Burn Notice thread...

Because it only took Viking-Sensei three years (and the approaching end of Errant Story) to come up with a better name for "General Discussions"

Have you seen this show?

Yes, I never miss it!
30%
Not yet, but I will.
10%
Nope.
60%

Total votes: 10

Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

That Burn Notice thread...

Post by Imp-Chan »

'Cause, you know... I really <3 this show. I find that I'm looking forward to new episodes in much the same way that I used to look forward to new episodes of Buffy.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Re: That Burn Notice thread...

Post by Viking-Sensei »

The only reason I've not watched this yet is that the main guy on this show was in an incredibly good adaptation of a Brittish crime drama a few years ago called "Touching Evil", of which I was once a fan.

The show garnered a fair bit of fame because it was critically acclaimed and scored high on the ratings for their target demographic... but USA network shelved it halfway through it's run, hiding it at the midnight timeslot, and then cancelled it despite the fact that it had sustained it's momentum and ratings despite the horrid timeslot. No official explaination was ever given for it's cancellation, however some unofficially leaked memos indicated that it was the new president of operations at USA who "didn't like that sort of show" and orderd it axed.

That person? Bonnie Hammer.

I guess it just brings back too many memories.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
erewhon
Forum Regular

Post by erewhon »

If you like Robson Green, checkout his records :lol: :lol:
BandMan2K
Errant Scholar

Post by BandMan2K »

Imp-Chan wrote:'Cause, you know... I really <3 this show. I find that I'm looking forward to new episodes in much the same way that I used to look forward to new episodes of Buffy.

^-^'
This is why I was so happy when I saw that mention of "can I eat the remaining fake plastic explosives?" line in the page header for the comic. I tried to get my friend into watching it since he loves Bruce Campbell but he's not getting into it. What was interesting is that my friend mentioned something The Chin-ed One said about Network TV: basically stating that after doing Briscoe County Jr. & Jack of All Trades that he was pretty much done with the rigors of weekly television. The fact he came back means he either liked the story & character a lot or he was hurting for money. However I would've figured he was making some good money off those Old Spice commercials.
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Excellent, show. My wife and I both like "smart" shows with "smart" characters, so we watch it every week. James Bond meets McGyver Meets Miami Vice. Sharon Gless and Bruce Campbell enjoying themselves hugely in supporting roles. I don't believe Gabriell Anwar for a minute as an IRA terrorist, but she's pretty and has more personality than a lot of TV series love interests.

Liked the spot where he used the stud-finder to locate the week spot in the wall next the armored door, marked it with tape, then shot the guy in the leg through the siding and wallboard when he came to the door.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

I'm becoming quite the fan of USA... not just because of Burn Notice, though that's my favorite. I also like Psych, Monk (going downhill this season as it's clearly "what wacky hijinks can Monk get into without getting any better"), and the 4400. House also plays there, even if it's on that other network the rest of the time.

But, Burn Notice is hands down the best of the lot.

^-^'
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Dead Zone's pretty good too, but you have to have had watched it for a few years in order to really have an appreciation for it.

Monk has really, really gone downhill since Sharona left. I like the new one, but she's not 'ball-buster-y' enough to keep Monk in line, and the storylines don't really seem to be going anywhere. I mean, when was the last time he found a new piece of evidence about what happened to his wife? Wasn't that (and getting over the trauma) a major point of the show? Now, it's become window dressing.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead

Post by Imp-Chan »

See, I hated Sharona, and I liked Natalie... except now she's just like Sharona, but prettier.

When she first started working for Monk, I had actual hope for his character precisely because Natalie wasn't putting up with the same bullshit that Sharona had been (until she quit). He acted like a child, so she treated him like one, and he started getting better... right up until that episode with the dead wife coming back, and then it was like her whole character and strength went pffffssssst... like a leaky balloon. And you're right, the trauma of his wife had been major and important, and now it's just window dressing, with no explanation for the downgraded importance. It's not like he just got over it one day... that's been bothering me, too.

I have enjoyed the recent development of Stottlemeyer, though. Disher is still a lovably obnoxious tool, but Stottlemeyer's starting to have an independent character in the series, and that's a vast improvement considering how much screentime he gets.

^-^'
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Meanwhile . . . what kind of a world is it where a smart show like The Dresden Files gets canceled and a dopey one like Eureka gets renewed?
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord

Post by Viking-Sensei »

I happen to like Eureka, thank you very much... but yeah, Dresden getting the can came as a surprise. At least the Dresden fans still have the ongoing book series the show was lifted from, if they really need a Chicago Wizarding fix.