Experiments in Poeification

This board is image enabled, so here's the place to share your purdy pictures. Art, pictures, and the revived 'That Color Thread' all live here.
Weirdonian
Team Captain

Experiments in Poeification

Post by Weirdonian »

Hey there everyone, just thought I'd share the results of a little experiment. After some bit of study, I managed to emulate Poe's distinctive drawing style and have drawn a Poe-itized version of myself. And here it is...

Course it also has a great deal of my own style in it, can't get away from that fully, but then I wouldn't really want to anyway. I decided to do this for two reasons. First, because it was an artistic challenge. And second, I wanted a special avatar for use here on the ES Forums. It was also terrific practice in drawing comic/anime-style, which is something I've been working hard to improve lately.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this in case anyone wondered about my new avatar. :mrgreen:
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Re: Experiments in Poeification

Post by Imp-Chan »

SQUEE!

That, uhm, in some respects is better than Poe's work.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Russ's got "the gift" alright, although you still look vaguely lizardish. Or maybe, technically, your munioid crations look a bit like you.

Seriously, I've got to drag you forcibly figure out hout wo get you out here for a high-impact weekend of hanging out sometime.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Weirdonian
Team Captain

Post by Weirdonian »

Wow, thanks Impy! :mrgreen:

lol, yes indeed Jim, the Munojad do look a bit like me, though I suspect it's partialy subconsious. They say artists, especially portrait painters/drawers have to work at not putting too much of themselves in their work, lest everything turn out looking like the artist. It's weird though, I've found it very difficult to draw myself as a Munojad, in fact I've yet to come up with a satisfactory design yet, though in general I think the Mutonian race of Munojad in general come close.

I guess the readers out there are probably wondering what Jim and I are talking about. Well, here's a taste...

Four of those psionic space lizards of mine, each at different ages. These drawings are mostly in the raw, that is I haven't done much to them besides shrink them and then cut and paste them together. The elder male in the back is Vaino, the middle-aged male to the left is Ilvarinod, the well-endowed young female to the right is Azmara and the boy in front is Ilia.

Well, I might just as well make the official announcement now: I'm working on a comic that features these guys and many more like them. It's a science fiction story, mostly a drama but with a helping of humor as well. As to when it will debut, I can't say for certain, but I am working on it. It will be called Thunderbird, named after the merchant marine starship that's central to the story.

And Jim, I have a feeling we'll meet sometime next year. We'll chat about it on IM or on the Vikingspace Forums, but we should begin planning something for 2008.