Errant Story Mafia - Game Over! Scum wins!

Home of Viking's Infamous "Three Things" Challenge and some other games likely to make the baby Lord Naughtius cry.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: Errant Story Mafia - Game on!

Post by DarkIntruder »

Alas, I am almost completely out of arguements for my innocence.

I can only state that Sareth was the second person to vote for Zannatos, right after Vavrek. Viking had pointed his finger of suspicion at Sareth, right before he was killed. Also, he makes the defense that he's the doctor, and as such, was innocent.

However, we don't know. There's also the unlikelyhood of having a cop, a doctor, and two matching character "couples" in a 7 person game, when everything was random.

Sareth's main arguement seemed to be that Vavrek was trying hard to lynch him. But as far as I know, Vavrek only posted twice about Sareth. Once to state that he bore close watching, and once here:
Vavrek wrote:I have told you before, there is no grand conspiracy between the elves and I. Were something to be arranged, it would not have been so public, so far from "behind closed doors" as yesterday's lynching of an innocent citizen. Viking-Sarine* and I merely both witnessed evidence and made evident our own bias when we spoke of our suspicion of you.

I did not dare fear that my bias would get such a reaffirming piece of evidence. Which is the greater fear? Knowing that out there, somewhere, are a pair of men intent on killing off this entire town... or that one finger-pointing elf is dead and the local errant half-elf stands in the middle of town, repeatedly saying "I didn't do it!", after having killed hundreds, thousands, in the destruction of Emerylon? When we last met, you scared me out of my wits, asking simply where to find the elves. And now, it seems, you have found one...

*A viking version of Sarine, by the way, is just a fascinating concept.

In any case, not once did Vavrek ever point a finger of suspicion at Sareth, or vote for him. It could be that he just wanted to throw a little suspicion on Sareth in an attempt to prove that they weren't allies.

Also, what would be a better defense then lying about being the doctor? There would be no way to lynch him, since he would be such an important character. The perfect defense.

I say Sareth is lying about being the doctor. It's unlikely that we would have that many important roles and matching couples in such a small game, plus by lying about being the doctor, he's made the best choice to prevent himself from being lynched.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Edit By Way Of Post:

Also, as Bloodhenge stated, not killing someone increased the decreased the chances of the remaining mafia being randomly lynched from 1/3 to 1/4, but still keeping the ability to end the game on the next night.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

DarkIntruder wrote:Edit By Way Of Post:

Also, as Bloodhenge stated, not killing someone decreased the chances of the remaining mafia being randomly lynched from 1/3 to 1/4, but still keeping the ability to end the game on the next night.

Fixed.
BloodHenge
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by BloodHenge »

Well, I've just been convinced-- with my own words no less.

Unvote: DarkIntruder
Vote: Sareth
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I do believe that was enough to Lynch me. And it was some compelling arguing.

I await the final reveal!

Good game all!
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

Day 3 final vote count:

Sareth: 3 (Imp-Chan, DarkIntruder, Bloodhenge)
DarkIntruder: 1 (Sareth)

And with that, Sareth is lynched! In a not-completely canon way, even Ian is no match for a lynch mob. Where are your god powers now, huh?

Ian, doctor, is lynched. Scum wins!
Shteven
Forum Regular

Post by Shteven »

Roles:

Town
Viking-Sensei: sarine - Cop
Zanntos: John - Townie
Imp-Chan: Riley - Townie
Sareth: Ian - Doctor
BloodHenge: Leah - Townie

Mafia - Gewehr wraiths
DarkIntruder: Anne - Goon
Vavrek: Gabriel - Goon (submits kills)

Role PM's:

*Town*

Viking-Sensei
You are Sarine Elle, an elven ranger whose search for errants and involvement in the Errant War has led to a softer approach to dealing with the errant problem. You prefer careful planning and reasoning to reckless action, and so each night you are able to research another player and discover whether or not they are on your side. Submit your choice in a PM to me on each night. The game will start during the day, so you'll have to survive in order to use this.

You are the cop. You win with the town, when all threats to its existence are eliminated.
Please confirm this PM in the new "Errant Story Mafia - Game on!" thread in the games forum.
Zanntos
You are Jon Amraphel, a human assassin who joined with Meji Hinadori's quest for Real Ultimate Power(TM). Although, lately you've been working more closely with Sarine Elle. Having been relieved from active duty with the wraiths, you'll have to work with only your vote. After all, why do good work when you aren't being paid for it?

You are a townie. You win with the town, when all threats to its existence are eliminated. Please confirm this PM in the new "Errant Story Mafia - Game on!" thread in the games forum.
Imp-Chan
You are Riley, a half-elf with a background in circus acts involving knives. But perhaps it's best you don't ask about that. In any case, you're certainly not the violent type; you're more interested in a quite peaceful life, and spending time with Leah.

You are a townie. You win with the town, when all threats to its existence are eliminated.
BloodHenge
You are Leah, a half-elf from Santuariel, and the girlfriend of Riley. You were born an errant, with difficulty breathing and poor vision. Recently Ian rather violently cured you of these problems, although your vision still isn't perfect. You just wish he had asked you first, but what's done is done, and you've forgiven him.

You are a townie. You win with the town, when all threats to its existence are eliminated.
Sareth
You are Ian Samael, a half elf in search of healing power to aid his sister Evelyn. Having come across and absorbed the powers of goddess, your healing ability is literally unmatched by any known enity in the world. Unfortunately, outright resurrections of the long dead are still beyond your reach - and that's been somewhat trying on your sanity. With a little luck, you might be able to hold it together long enough to see the threats to your friends eliminated. During each night you can select a player to protect from harm. If anyone attempts to kill them, you will completely heal any damage they take.

You are the doctor. You win with the town, when all threats to its existence are eliminated.
***Mafia***

DarkIntruder
You are Anne, a human assassin and member in good standing with the Gewehr Wraiths. You've been tasked with quite a bit of work recently - you've got a hit list with five names on it. But you have some support, in the form of (player name) who is Gabriel, also a Gewehr wraith. Together, you must eliminate all who oppose you.

You are a member of the Mafia. You may talk to (player name) freely at night. The two of you should come to an agreement over who to kill. (player name) is in charge of sending me a PM with the choice. You win when you outnumber the remaining town players, or nothing can prevent the same. Please confirm this PM in the new "Errant Story Mafia - Game on!" thread in the games forum.
Vavrek
You are Gabriel, a leading member of the Gewehr wraiths. You have recently assigned Anne a task to eliminate several people who pose a threat to the wraiths. While she'll probably handle most of the dirty work, should it become necassary, you're more than capable of taking matters into your own hands. Each night you will submit a kill to me, selecting who you want to kill. Come morning, the only evidence the town will find is a corpse.

You are a member of the Mafia. You may talk to (player name) freely at night. The two of you should come to an agreement over who to kill. You are in charge of sending me a PM with the choice. You win when you outnumber the remaining town players, or nothing can prevent the same. Please confirm this PM in the new "Errant Story Mafia - Game on!" thread in the games forum.
Night actions:

Night One

Viking-Sensei investigates Vavrek. Recieves guilty result.
Vavrek targets Viking-Sensei. Viking is killed before being able to reveal his investigation.
Sareth protects Bloodhenge. No effect.

Night two:
DarkIntruder targets Bloodhenge.
Sareth protects Bloodhenge.
No kill results.

Night 3 is automatic. With 2 townies remaining and one mafia, the mafia kills one, and therefore day 4 would be one townie, one mafia. The townie cannot reach a majority to lynch the scum, so the two townies are considered "end gamed" and automatically killed. If a townie had been lynched day 3 there would have been a day 4 if Sareth had another successful protection.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: Errant Story Mafia - Game Over! Scum wins!

Post by DarkIntruder »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Great game everyone! I'm sorry that I had to manipulate everyone so. I fully expected to be lynched on the last day, and was also sure that everyone KNEW who I was, regardless of the outcome.

Again, an excellent job from everyone! (Especially Bloodhenge.:twisted: )
Last edited by DarkIntruder on April 9th, 2008, 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shteven
Forum Regular

Re: Errant Story Mafia - Game Over! Scum wins!

Post by Shteven »

The thread's open for discussion of any sort, from players dead, alive, and non-players. Unless you're a real life garden gnome, in which case, get back on my lawn! Bloody gnome.

Any comments on my modding? Was there something you would have liked to see me do differently? This is the first mafia game I've modded, so feedback is appreciated. Is there interest in playing again, or no?

The game went a bit faster than I expected, which is perfectly fine. Did cause me to second guess my deadline on day 3, though. Which in a game as close as this one was, could have changed things.

P.S. Town's beaten by a one-handed woman! hahahaha! Reminds me of all those ghost stories when I was younger that the bad guy was inevitably "The one-armed man" for some reason I don't recall. That guy was bloody everywhere.
Vavrek
Errant Scholar

Post by Vavrek »

Shteven wrote:Viking-Sensei investigates Vavrek. Recieves guilty result.
Vavrek targets Viking-Sensei. Viking is killed before being able to reveal his investigation.
Wow. I didn't realize how close I came.

EVERYBODY! Give a big hand to DarkIntruder! (This isn't a pun about being Anne!) He deserves it, he won the game for the mafia.

I'll explain: That first night, my idea was to kill off BloodHenge. Lone voice of reason in the game, right? Emphasis on lone, since there'd been no finger pointing, no attachments whatsoever, between BloodHenge and any other player, except the implication of the role connection to Impy. I figured, that way, it's one townie out, and there's no way to point blame. My idea was to use Viking's Finger of Suspicion of Sareth to try and build support from that side and get Sareth lynched.

However, in discussing the kill with DarkIntruder, I eventually decided to take down Viking himself, because of the idea DI suggested of blaming Viking's death on that FOS. You all know how the next day played out. I kept thinking I'd made a mistake, that I could've taken out the rational one (BloodHenge) and the only person with a calm, "Let's look at the facts" tone of voice would be my agent (DarkIntruder). And then, you know, I die.

For the record, DarkIntruder tried to apologize to my gravestone after I was lynched. I said, I was glad it had happened like that, because now nobody could tell who the other mafioso was, and now all my motives were out in the open. Since I was dead and my role was revealed, I started talking with Sareth (a friend from another community) about the game, being sure to keep all of my info compartmentalized. He and I both suspected he'd be the next to die, since I'd campaigned against him so heavily.

But lo! It did not happen. And now, in retrospect, I can see how suspicious it might be. This way, the person I was campaigning against survived, leading to the premise that he and I had coordinated to reduce suspicion. Had Sareth died, then DarkIntruder would be left as the only other person to have supported Sareth's death, even vaguely.

But no! It was not so. It was not even so that DarkIntruder got off an unrelated kill. But this day was a masterful amount of manipulation, scheming, and convincing, which led to the death of our so-called "Doctor", and a mafia win for the town.

...now, if only that Doctor *could* do resurrections... and had any reason to resurrect me... and was alive... hmmph.

All hail DarkIntruder, Mayor of this Town!