Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters (part 2)

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Port Lorrel- Puppet Masters (part 2)

Post by Jack Rothwell »

The street beyond the foot of the tower had woken up pretty quickly with the ruckus of screams and spells over the last several minutes, not to mention the late Aleron's ideas about rearranging the spires on the roof to a disintegrated splatter on the ground surrounding the tower. Heads poked out of windows, doors opened and people came blundering onto the street to see what all the commotion was about. The kobold was awakened to the situation after a moment of quiet reflection by the loud cracks of loose masonry striking the road and showering the trio with grainy dust. The distant sounds of some approaching lawmen signalled it was probably time to clear the area. Tamina held a hand out to Drusia and let herself be pulled back to her feet.

"Should get going." She said, internally cursing how exhausted her use of mana had rendered her. She needed a hot meal and a long sleep before she'd be good for anything faster than a brisk trot away from the area.

The human, elf and kobold began picking their way over a broken spire, heading in the direction of the nearest backalley which would provide an evasion. Tamina stopped a moment as she climbed over a short wall of rubble, her eyes widening as realization caught up to her tired brain.

"Oh wait! Where's Angrist and the elf-man? Where's Khoo?"

OOC And, with that post, I let go of the steering wheel and clamber into the backseat of this plot to take a nap. Thanks for your great work everyone :D /OOC
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: And thank you also for a fun adventure! Before I move Udo anymore I'm waiting for Browncoat's response on this -- whether to say Angrist and Jargalan both get away alive, or else that we'll resolve their fight another way.]
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"S' over." She managed. "It's finally over."

"Indeed," I say, standing next to her.

I'm a little worried about Angrist. I didn't plan on leaving him alone with Jargalan. Not to mention Eli and Tim. I hope Tim can handle him... and that Eli really is still in there. I'll need to follow up on that when I have a chance.

Also, we should probably destroy all the Ralkin artifacts. Too dangerous to do otherwise.

-- Drusia
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Angrist's attack disabled Jargalan's left leg, and thanks to his recently-recharged Ensgerum-type speed, he easily ducked the peregin's snake-like swordblow. Should've remembered to put up that reactive shield... -- is what Jargalan didn't have time to think. He would never admit, even to himself, that his judgment was impaired after the night's ordeal.

As his leg collapsed beneath him, he filled the area with a blast of roasting fire, hoping to catch the silent stranger with something he couldn't outrun. The thought of asking for mercy, or giving any, didn't occur to him for a moment. Instead he would expend his last efforts, and his last moments, in a final effort to kill!

[OOC: Angrist won the coin toss - thanks to Jack for doing it. So - write the most spectactular finishing move you can!]
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Meanwhile, on the top floor of the Tower of Paarsan, just one flight down from the battle-shattered roof, Tim came to beside Eli. He threw down the Ralkin crystal he was gripping as if it were a scorpion. This crystal and his faith had fueled his once-only-ever experiment in conjoined minds -- a feat he had not understood even as he'd managed it -- but now the corrupting power must go.

Snatching up his bloodstained knife, he tried to smash the crystal with the handle. The other knife, the "eye of the needle," would be next; and then it would be time to leave. Words would be superfluous now.

What Tim and Eli had done had been appallingly dangerous on more levels than either understood. But this time, this one time, it had worked.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

The half-elf came around slowly, groggily, as the Priest located the Needle of the Eye, but with the artifact both in pieces and buried under a heap of rubble several floors below them the old shiv had lost in it's fiery inner glow. Whatever enchantment had been in the weapon had stemmed from it's base and was gone. It wasn't a great surprise; the Needle had been a component of the altar after all.

Presently Eli sat-up, giving a wince which was nothing more than reflex at the pain he was expecting in his back. Nothing came. He scanned the mural room around him with a mixture of relief at danger past and trepidation at the possible danger on the horizon.

"I'll be damned." He said tonelessly. "You are an honest man."

OOC Who's going after Angrist and who's going back into the tower? Don't forget there's lawmen on the way so a quick exit from the scene is preferable. The altar is totaled so Eli and Tim are the only reasons to go back in there... perhaps a meeting halfway down might be the way to speed things up?/OOC
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"Within my limits," said Tim. "From the look and sound of things the fight's over. Probably a good idea to get out of here. I'll scout ahead to make sure that elf's not in waiting. Let's go." He was feeling a lot more than he was saying.

[OOC: Angrist and Jargalan are at the base of the tower, not on the roof anymore. As soon as Browncoat writes the "finishing move" for that fight, Tim will be heading downstairs to scout ahead for Eli, and Khoo will be coming out of the stables to join the others. Udo is sticking with Drusia and Tamina at least until everyone gets out of town.]
Browncoat
Errant Scholar

Post by Browncoat »

[OOC: Sorry all, this weekend has been absolute crazy. There's even some carry over into tomorrow. I can't promise an update before Tuesday morning (for my time zone). Barely have time right now for this]
They kicked me out of the asylum. I miss the jello.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"AhhhhhhhCHOO!!" Khoo 'said' as he joined the others. Then, sheepishly: "Sorry, allergic to horses ... we in the sky city don't see 'em much ..." He gave one last sniffle. "So now what?"

[OOC: Sorry I've been so quiet so long, but since neither vacation nor influenza succeeded in killing me (although I wondered if it might be merciful while in the depths of the latter), I should be more available going forward ... although I'm not sure to what.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: Given the great significance of what's going on with Angrist and Jargalan -- in particular, I don't know whether Angrist is snapping Jargalan's neck, or knocking him unconscious and taking him back to the others to be executed, or what -- I don't think this thread can properly move much until Browncoat posts. I've just PM'd Graybeard about what Khoo actually found in the stables.]