Santuariel, Compassion, and the banshee

For in-universe game play. Journey through both familiar and foreign settings, explore lost ruins and forgotten cities, and try to bring light to the darkness of the world... or, you know, blow stuff up. Either way.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Santuariel, Compassion, and the banshee

Post by Drusia »

Graybeard wrote:If I recall correctly, Poe said that there were originally two elven languages, and that one was the forerunner of Veracian, the other of Tsuirakuan. Would Desiree speak either of those, as a result of being taught by her mother? If so, she might be able to stumble along in Tsuirakuan even if she doesn't speak the language proper. I also see that Desiree once spun a yarn about a speaker of a "Cuthian" language. What did you have in mind there? Another elven-language derivative? Would Desiree know the language, or was it just something from the story?
Desiree would know the Tsuirakuan version of Elven (since Tsuiraku is implied to have Rinkai roots) as it is most likely the language the Rinkai spoke. Desiree also knows Tsuirakuan on its own - she has long hoped to visit. Actually, since Drusia would most likely default to her native language, Snamish might actually speak Tsuirakuan by default, with Veracian as a second language required for anyone who wants to leave town.

Anyway, the point is that Desiree is fully capable of speaking both Veracian and Tsuirakuan (and at least one Elven language, if not both).

Desiree cannot speak Cuthine - which is supposed to be Gaelic or English (where the Northern Confederacy = mainland Europe).

Anyway, hope that helps. I'll be posting shortly.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"Like I promised, I stayed behind with the other birdcage to learn what the spirits thought of it. They don't know what a 'banshee' is, which is fair enough because I don't know either. What they do know is that whatever was in the birdcage when -- that person brought it was just weird. Not evil, not even scary, just weird. But then, right around when the banshee started, something happened that they couldn't describe, and the weird thing got out and went from weird to scary. They're frightened of it now."

"And you think that scary thing is the banshee?" Brad asked. Lillith just nodded.

I frown. So the Banshee is Compassion? What could cause that to happen? Or is she just upset and taking it out on those who... offended her? Maybe I can do something....

"And maybe you'll get to hear the banshee yourselves," Brad said, the tone of his voice suggesting he was more eager than anything else ... but he subsided as the other three turned to him with faces reflecting more anxiety than eagerness. "Or not," he finished, a bit more subdued than he'd started; Brad wasn't quite the emotional, heart-on-his-sleeve adventurer he'd been just a few months earlier, but he still had his moments.

"Actually," I say softly, "I think I would like to hear it." Now surprised eyes turn towards me. I shrug. "If the 'scary thing' really is Compassion, then we need to find her. If she really is a servant of the gods, perhaps Sasha did something to offend her, and this is her wrath?" I don't suggest it might have been someone else - I know Lillith dislikes Sasha, so I might as well use that to help convince her.

"Maybe we can calm her," I say, indicating Therese and myself. "After all, we want to help her with her destiny."

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Thanks, that'll help with consistency in what's to follow. I do think that Snamish would speak primarily Veracian, for a number of reasons, notably because of the "new blood" that Dru sometimes brings in. But it would make sense for Desiree to be fluent in the RInkai language to the point of speaking Tsuirakuan also. So:]

Lillith looked decidedly dubious at the idea of "calming" the banshee, or Compassion, or whatever it was that was making the noise. However, after a glance at her husband, she nodded. "Very well. You'll want to spend the night here, so that you can hear what we have been hearing and then decide what to do. Let me make up the bed." She led the way into the nursery.

I'll give her this: she plans ahead, thought Therese as she looked at the tidy little room. Two cribs were already set up along with a couch that Lillith was busily rearranging as a bed. Plenty of small, brightly colored mobiles and other toys filled the room, none of it Luminositan that Therese could see; evidently Lillith had put her foot down on that, and Brad hadn't argued the point. (She found that mildly interesting, but not too surprising.)

"It'll be a little tight," Lillith said apologetically as she finished making up the couch. Therese exchanged wry looks with her lover. "I think we'll manage," she smiled.

[OOC: So anything else to do before nightfall? Well, other than that. :twisted: ]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Graybeard wrote:[OOC: So anything else to do before nightfall? Well, other than that. :twisted: ]
OOC:
Nope - I think "that" is about all that's happening this evening. ^^

Although I assume there will be a desciption of the Banshee wailing.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, then, forward...]

It was a peaceful, and downright enjoyable, evening until bedtime. Events in the nursery will be left under a fade-to-black veil, per forum rules, except to note that they were probably being more or less duplicated in Lillith's and Brad's bedroom. (Their kids are going to get exposed to sex early, Therese thought whimsically, and they're going to be amazed at how loud it is. They could consider a little more insulation, or magical sound-deadening, on their walls.) Everyone involved was soon fast asleep and snoring peacefully ... until some time around midnight.

At first Therese thought it was just the whistling of the wind through the curtains, a soft keening that seemed to be everywhere at once as she rose groggily to consciousness. It didn't take her long, however, to realize that the windows were closed and the curtains were motionless. She also realized that the keening wasn't really "everywhere." Its source was outside the house, and generally more toward the west, toward the scruffy mountains, than the east. More precisely than that, however, she could not say, nor could she say much about the distance; it was just -- out there. Somewhere.

Her career had made her a light sleeper. Brad and Lillith were still peacefully sawing wood in their own bedroom. Desiree was showing signs of coming around, and Therese wasn't sure whether that was a good thing or not; part of her wanted to let her lover get as much sleep as possible, knowing that the following night or two might not be so peaceful, while another part was telling her this is Desiree's quest. She's the one who has to know all of what's going on, understand it better so she knows what to do about it.

And then there was the third part: the scared part.

As she tried to view her mind's workings with detachment, she didn't understand that part. Why does that sound frighten me? It's not in the house with us, there's no physical reason why it should have me about to jump out of my skin... yet it does. Make it go away, my love, my Five Great Mothers ... anybody.

The keening became an ululation as she embraced the awakening Desiree.

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

As she tried to view her mind's workings with detachment, she didn't understand that part. Why does that sound frighten me? It's not in the house with us, there's no physical reason why it should have me about to jump out of my skin... yet it does. Make it go away, my love, my Five Great Mothers ... anybody.
The keening became an ululation as she embraced the awakening Desiree.

I feel Therese tense, her still tightness suddenly strange and alien. I'm about to ask her what's wrong when I hear it. It's far off, but... I can almost make out words. I feel her tremble, just slightly. She's afraid? And... I'm not. I wonder why. Maybe it's because I feel safe in her arms? That's a nice thought, but I think it's something else. I think I'm not afraid because this Banshee... she sounds sad. Maybe angry too, but the kind of frustrated anger that follows anguish. I know that pain. I felt it when some strange woman stole Kenny from me and got him killed. I remember walking out to the lake one night and just screaming... screaming and sobbing. It wasn't fair, and no one understood, so I stood beneath the moon and screamed at the gods themselves.

How much worse must it be if you are a god? Who do the gods scream to when they lose hope?

The Banshee screams again, and this time I can make out what she's saying. It isn't a wordless scream of anguish, as I first assumed. It's one word, in elven, being drawn out until it's nearly an ululation.

"DESSSTINYYYY..."

I pull away from Therese and scramble out of bed. She sits up, surprised and confused. I grope through my pack for a dress.

"We have to help her," I tell Therese, answering her unspoken question. "We... I need to go to her. I'd like you to come with me, but I understand if you need to stay here."

I find a dress and pull it over my head. No time for boots - I grab some sandals and slip them on.

I turn back to Therese. I... I wish I could explain. I could try to tell her, but I'm afraid I can't quite put it into words properly. Compassion is hurting - she's anguished. She's lost what she desires most. She needs someone to sate that desire, to give her what she wants - what she needs.

Who better than me?

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC:
Drusia wrote: How much worse must it be if you are a god? Who do the gods scream to when they lose hope?
Powerful stuff there, D. /OOC:]

"I -- of course I'm coming with you," Therese sputtered, but not without pausing to squeeze Desiree's hand. She pulled on her traveling clothes and stuffed her flame-red hair up under her hat, not so much to conceal her gender as just to have it out of the way if things came to -- well, whatever. For a moment she lingered over her short sword, then strapped it on. It wouldn't do any good against an anguished, or enraged, spirit, but there were other dangers out there in the night, and combat magic in a place like this would also have its disadvantages.

Lillith had been roused by the noise and now appeared at the door of the nursery, looking disheveled and frightened. However, she sized the situation up quickly enough. "Should -- should I come with you?" she asked, in tones tremulous enough to match the wailing that was still going on beyond the west wall.

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"I -- of course I'm coming with you," Therese sputtered, but not without pausing to squeeze Desiree's hand.

I squeeze her hand back. I shouldn't have doubted, but she just looked so scared.

Lillith had been roused by the noise and now appeared at the door of the nursery, looking disheveled and frightened. However, she sized the situation up quickly enough. "Should -- should I come with you?" she asked, in tones tremulous enough to match the wailing that was still going on beyond the west wall.

"Only if you think you need to," I reply. "Therese and I are... called to do this. This is one of our gods - not yours. We'd welcome your help, but it isn't necessary if you don't want to."

-- Desiree

OOC: Whatever Lillith's reply, Desiree is out the door pretty much as soon as Lillith replies (possibly baring time to let Lillith get ready).
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Although she tried to hide it, Lillith's relief at Desiree's words was quite obvious. "Well ... if you think you'll be all right ..." she said, finishing the half-sentence with a gentle swipe of her hand across her still-small baby bump. Really, no further words were needed, and Therese called a quiet "thank you, sleep well" as Lillith returned to her bedroom.

The "banshee's" wailing probably wasn't any louder than it had been moments earlier, but it seemed more obtrusive now. "Wait just a moment," Therese murmured, and reached into her traveling bag. From this she extracted the small kit containing the five figurines of the Five Great Mothers. "I just want to say a quick prayer before we get out there, if you don't mind," she told Desiree.

[OOC: Your call on whether this delays Desiree's exit.]

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"Wait just a moment," Therese murmured, and reached into her traveling bag. From this she extracted the small kit containing the five figurines of the Five Great Mothers. "I just want to say a quick prayer before we get out there, if you don't mind," she told Desiree.

"Of course not," I reply, although I glance anxiously out the window. I suppose she doesn't seem like she's going to be finished any time soon. I just want to make sure we have something to follow and -

I blink, then look back at the figurines that Therese is praying to. Symbols representing the other five. She should recognize symbols of her sisters.

"When you're done, we should bring those with us," I say softly.

-- Desiree