CONTEST: Acronym needed

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

CONTEST: Acronym needed

Post by Graybeard »

In conjunction with what's happening in the "Road to Gervasiel" thread, here's a quick, impromptu contest.

Without giving too much away, it'll turn out shortly that Veracia and Tsuiraku have been engaged in some quiet talks to start negotiating a treaty to ban research in time magic. A fundamental part of treaty negotiations (in which I have some professional experience) is to try to get started by agreeing not to do something that neither party has any intention of doing anyway. So also here; the Veracians don't have the magical skills to research time magic, and the Tsuirakuans have already banned it and think it's crazy. (The Ensigerum, well ...)

Now every arms-control treaty needs a good acronym. Thirty-plus years ago, there was the thing called the "Strategic Arms Limitation Talks," or SALT. Twenty years ago, it was the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, START. Now the Obama administration is getting the US back interested in the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, CTBT (that most of the rest of the world has already agreed to, but let's not go there...). And so on.

So what to call this one, which will shortly find its way into Errant Road? The best I can come up with so far is "Chronomancy Test Ban Treaty," CTBT, paralleling the real-world CTBT. Surely you folks can do better. So: Think of a name for this thing, and post it here with its acronym. The best one received by midnight Monday server time will get its author a small prize. Entries will be judged on creativity and "appeal" (read: humor). Let your imaginations run wild! One request: don't let it be too obscene -- has to be something the strait-laced Veracian Church would go for, after all. But innuendo and double entendres are just fine.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Re: CONTEST: Acronym needed

Post by Drannin »

Chronomancy Research Abstinence Proclamation.

As in, when time magic goes horribly wrong, what do you yell?
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Time Warping Inhibition Treaty.

Time Warping and Alteration Treaty.

Chronomantic Unity and Neutrality Treaty. (Okay, no way in HELL that one would slip past the radar...)

Ban Against Strategic Time Alteration and Research Decree.

Time Initiative Treaty
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Just a couple of things.

I don't think that the Tsuirakuan government is going to suddenly ban time magic as a whole. Otherwise the magical act that Maduin performed when he first arrived on the scene in that little house in Ramanzel is going to make him a criminal. The reasonable thing to do would be to continue using preservation magic (cosmetic purposes like anti-aging, food preservation, artifact preservation, building preservation, all that) while banning the "active" style time magic (moving at the speed of light, traveling backwards OR forwards through time, all the anomaly-causative stuff).

So here's my idea.

DECAF

Deliberations to End Chronomancy Abnormality Funding.

You draw a neat little line between the "bad active" time magic that actually speeds things up and does bizarre things to temporal continuity like sending people up and down the time stream and the "good passive" time magic that just slows things down and preserves them.

This will end with less elderly Tsuirakuan ladies beating their husbands over the heads with handbags for taking away their age reduction magic and little things like grocery preservation spells. We don't want the beef in Tsuirakuan warehouses to start rotting.

Also, you're implicitly saying "no MORE time magic" rather than explicitly saying "We're coming for YOU, Tsuirakuan HyVee!" and government loves that.
Last edited by Porcelain Fish on February 20th, 2010, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Erm, the anti-aging isn't time magic, it's life magic. It's altering the cells themselves, not the flow of time.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Imp-Chan wrote:Erm, the anti-aging isn't time magic, it's life magic. It's altering the cells themselves, not the flow of time.

^-^'

Good point.

You're still cutting the throat of your archivists if they're trying to preserve historic documents/monuments/architecture and shooting your local grocer in the lungs though. :twisted:
Kaden
New Poster

Post by Kaden »

Couldn't get it to flow like I wanted but this is my attempt.

Pact Against Revising Accepted Dimensional Order with Chronomancy Spells

PARADOCS (paradox)
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OK, contest (belatedly) closed. There were some very ... creative ... entries ...

Let me talk to Impy about getting a prize out, and the winner will be announced shortly.

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OK, the judging is done, and by unanimous decision of the judges (read: me), the winner is ...

Drannin.

Lots of creative ideas here, but that one will work the best, although I'm going to make one minor modification to it when it's used. Thanks, everyone; D, I dropped Impy a note about this decision, so something nice should be happening to you shortly.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Good choice! ^_^