Tidbit re: Artificers and Gunsmithery

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Tidbit re: Artificers and Gunsmithery

Post by Imp-Chan »

Saw a bit of a debate starting up re: the role of magic in gunsmithing. Since I don't regularly read the game threads (sorry guys, my brain can only take so much glowy text in one day and it's reserved for scripts and contracts just now) and only brushed up on the OOC comments, I'm not sure of all the context here, but I thought I'd take a moment to mention that Poe himself will be answering some of these questions... in about eight months.

For now, let's just say that magic and guncraft were not immediately friends within the Errant Universe. After all, if you're going to magic up a gun, you generally want to magic up a MAGIC gun, and that's an altogether different adventure and development process from simple gunsmithing. It is also a far more difficult task to mix a magical weapon with a mundane weapon than it is to build either. There are those who can do it, but mixing magic with mechanical tends to be their primary focus.

If there are further questions on this general topic, post them here and I'll do my best to get you some official answers to them.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Hours
Unit of Time

Re: Tidbit re: Artificers and Gunsmithery

Post by Hours »

I was actually going to ask for a thread to be put up about this if the questions continued.

Thanks, Impy.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Thanks for the clarification Imp-chan.
ComradeHavok
Free Under My Black Flag

Post by ComradeHavok »

Well, I have a question concerning guns, and this seems like the best place to post it.

Just how advanced of firearms are acceptable in this setting? I understand that for most of the continent, 1870's level firearms tech is the norm. So lever action rfiles, six-shooters, early gatling guns and breach loading long rifles, correct?

So.. how about Northern Confederacy firearms? I understand that they're considerably more advanced. Hours explained that it was roughly WW1 level technology. So bolt action rifles, pump action shotguns, machine guns and the like? I'm also curious about what kind of automatic firearms might be availiable. Would something like a tommy gun be plausiable, if extremely rare? What about explosive weapons such as hand grenades, rifle grenades or at the more extreme end of the spectrum, early rocket launchers (panzerfausts/piats/bazookas)

Mostly I'm curious because I'm considering expanding Mouse's armoury at some point in the future , and I don't want to inadvertently give her anything that would be considered game breaking.