The Mary Sue test

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: The Mary Sue test

Post by Graybeard »

Jack Rothwell wrote:Maytag (Flipside Webcomic)- 55

Sorry Brian!
I think a high Mary Sue score is just part of the shtick with a webcomic protagonist, particularly in a webcomic in a fantasy/steampunk/etc. setting. By my reckoning, and obviously not knowing what's going on inside the Foglios' heads, Agatha Heterodyne, of "Girl Genius," also scores somewhere around a 55 -- and she is probably about as well-drawn a main character in a fantasy webcomic as I know of outside of Errant Story itself.

I went back and re-did the test for Sister Rose, and now come up with a somewhat higher score for her, somewhere around 21 or 22. That's still not in the worrisome range, but the difference compared to the previous time probably makes a point about the call on some of the criteria being rather subjective and open to change on the spur of the moment. Anyway, I don't see any of the current player characters in Errant Road as having serious Mary Sue tendencies.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli- 4

Got bored and ran the half-elf through it. I was expecting it to be higher tbh, but the last section accounted for things like his misjudgments about other characters and his manipulation by Fucilious which lowered his score.

Funnily enough, Eli was the one character I had who I thought had more mary-sue tendencies than any other I've created.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

7 for Therese. This could go up a bit, depending on how things develop as she joins the party.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.