Character walk-up music?

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Character walk-up music?

Post by Graybeard »

Here's a little thing for fun in between twists and turns of the threads.

Major-league baseball players who are coming up to bat have "walk-up music" that plays in the background. They choose the pieces themselves, to be something they like, or something that the fans identify with them, etc. So: why couldn't Errant Road characters have walk-up music too? When a character is about to appear on stage, what music do you mentally "hear" playing in the background? How about when you're writing for them?

The first example is the utterly trivial one: when Layla is on stage, I'm unable not to hear a certain Eric Clapton piece (performed by "Derek and the Dominoes," which was really a Clapton band). I don't need to explain what that piece is, do I? (Or am I, and is the piece, so old that I should?)

People's views of walk-up music needn't be confined to their own characters, either. Desiree's big scene with the priest of Senilis, which in my view of her is still a very good representation of what she's turned out to be like, just absolutely screams to be done to Ravel's "Bolero." Drusia, I don't know whether that's what you intended, but it sure fits in my mind.

Anyone else?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Character walk-up music?

Post by Jack Rothwell »

I got one for Jade off the new incubus album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YszNJovVLAE

'Switchblade'- awesome tune.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Well, Lillith is easy. No lyrics, but I view Yoko Kanno's "Fish - Silent Cruise" as something depicting Lillith's inner self very well, both turbulent and serene at once. It gets a bit techno for the setting, but still... It just works well. (Warning, it's 7:30 long.)

[/youtube]

As for Jamie, that one's a lot harder. Ultimately though, I think she'd shoot me if I went with anything less than Metallica's Wherever I May Roam.

[/youtube]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Good choices, S and JR.

I spent a long time thinking about music for Sister Rose, and finally, classical-music lover that I am, found the perfect thing (which I have had the privilege of performing more than once). If you're familiar with the piece, and with Rose, I think you'll agree it's as Rose as it can be. If not ... well, it's gonna seem weird. (Note: you may have to turn your speaker volume up to hear it; it's at a very soft dynamic level, understandably.)

[/youtube]

This is the final movement, "In Paradisum," of Maurice Durufle's setting of the Catholic Requiem. It is one of the most deeply spiritual pieces of music I have ever heard. It is beautiful, gentle, loving, sorrowful, and comforting, all at once. It is also ... unconventional. A piece that covers all those spiritual dimensions, yet ends on a diminished seventh, just about perfectly captures Rose's personality -- including the uncertainty that that final, magical chord leaves you with.

Gads, I'm tearing up just thinking about the thing. (Rest in peace, Cristy. We miss you.)

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Really appropriate choices from both of you. I was trolling around trying to find a piece that fit Tamina and the best I could come up with was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

I think that pretty much sums up where Tamina's head and her life is at at this moment.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

LOL, Jack ... that was hilarious.

Here's Faye's (and I would suggest that Jasmine find something else!):

[/youtube]

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Leo's here. Tune starts at 0.52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rzD52hOChs&ob=av3e

I reckon it's appropriate.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Yup, that's Eve, all right.

For a VERY complete change of pace, here's Brad:
[/youtube]:

If you're wondering what this has to do with a priest of the Reformed Veracian Church whose wife ran off with another man, fast-forward it to the 2'40" mark, and all will be clear ...

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

I like it, very quirky!

Rufus- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA