OOC - Character Workshop

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: OOC - Character Workshop

Post by Sareth »

XD
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

Pretty good song, I have to say ;) .
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

4uk4ata wrote:For some reason today I heard "Crazy Bitch" by Buckcherry and I thought "Hmm, this might suit Jamie if she settled down a bit." :lol:
Actually, we already have one of those...

Kureji (coo-ra-zhi) Mesuinu (Bad japanese for female dog). Which also applies to her mother, Saiko (psy-ko) Mesuinu. Similarly, Rokko Sona (who appeared in the game briefly) is also Locke's owner... in more ways than one. Aren't Tsuirakan names fun?
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
4uk4ata
Errant Scholar

Post by 4uk4ata »

Anyway, gang, I'll need to retire Kalin or at least send him somewhere far away for a while. Any calls for what he should end up doing?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

4uk4ata wrote:Anyway, gang, I'll need to retire Kalin or at least send him somewhere far away for a while. Any calls for what he should end up doing?
Ouch. We'll miss you; Kalin is a great character, well thought out, consistently and creatively handled. We hope the absence is temporary.

Maybe he goes on a pilgrimage to some unidentified holy place (at least in his own eyes) to meditate on how to bring the weirdos he's encountered into Lum'nosita's fold? That's nice and open-ended, so that you can return when you're ready. It also seems consistent with his personality.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Caoimhe Faelan
Forum Regular

Post by Caoimhe Faelan »

Hey guys, BRAND new here. I'd like to hop in but I don't know what kind of characters you have space for right now. I'd love to get involved in any of the threads, serious to slapstick, but I need help getting started.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Caoimhe Faelan wrote:Hey guys, BRAND new here. I'd like to hop in but I don't know what kind of characters you have space for right now. I'd love to get involved in any of the threads, serious to slapstick, but I need help getting started.
First of all, welcome, and thanks for the interest! If you haven't already, I suggest you look at Impy's top-level guide to Errant Road, which isn't "definitive" but does give a general idea of how it all works.

Right now there are three open threads, one of them ("Airship Pirates") definitely inclining toward slapstick comedy and the other two considerably more serious, although a little humor is always welcome. Airship Pirates more or less stands by itself and has no obvious ulterior motives, while the other two are somehow connected with each other (characters, particularly NPCs, get swapped between the two occasionally) and also with some kind of shadowy BBEG lurking in the background that I more or less have the responsibility for maintaining. All three threads have "space" for characters at any and all times, although introducing characters to the one in Veracia (currently in the "Stone Man Pass" thread) is the most difficult, because of where the players currently find themselves. However, it could be done.

As for "what kind of characters," it may be helpful to review what active PCs are currently in what thread. There's a recent "status report" that should be informative, and to further describe what the actual "kinds" of characters are:
  • Airship Pirates (east coast of Farrel): middle-aged Tsuirakuan mage (Rip), weird teenage girl who casts lightning spells (Leana), 14-year-old cook (Tom Brambil); several others are inactive
  • Rinkaiel, Part 2 (city on the north coast of Farrel): Gewehr Wraith and single mom (Layla) who has something of an entourage (I play Layla and the entourage has developed while setting up the BBEG); free-lance gunslinger (Jamie) who's also a single mom -- sort of; courier/mercenary from somewhere up north (Rhett); nearly blind lifemage girl (Maya); mad elf (Neverinal) who's sort of in and out; proprietress of an exotic food stand (Rice) who comes and goes; numerous inactive characters
  • Stone Man Pass (boonies of southern Veracia): Nun of a "splinter" denomination of the Veracian Church (Sister Rose); somewhat Sarine-like elf, but with some highly distinctive twists (Drusia Valis); exiled Tsuirakuan archmage (Argus); younger Tsuirakuan mage who's been sent to keep an eye on Argus (Maduin); half-elf nature worshipper and priestess from the Northern Confederacy (Lillith) -- there are fascinating connections among these characters
Note that these characters don't have "character classes" as in various unmentionable RPGs; they simply have roles to play that are consistent with what part of the Poe-verse they come from -- although several have some interesting little twists that aren't necessarily in the Poe-verse. Recommend you don't think of them in terms of fighters, mages, assassins, etc., but rather as Veracians, members of a Farrel mercenary guild, Tsuirakuan upper crust, and so on. A character that fits into some comparable Poe-verse culture -- or into a culture from a "Southern Continent" that isn't in the world of Errant Story, but generally resembles stereotypical sub-Saharan Africa with some magical twists -- should have little trouble integrating into these arcs.

What kind of character did you have in mind? You're encouraged to post your concept here before introducing him/her/it, and feel free to private-message me if you'd like help. I've found this game to be enormous fun and would be glad to help you get integrated into it!

Caoimhe Faelan
Forum Regular

Post by Caoimhe Faelan »

Here she is:

Name: Suriah Chase

Familiars: None

Appearance: She stands a short 4'11” with a child-like figure. Her face has a distinct pixie-ish quality to it that gives her a mischievous look – constantly. Her eyes are dark and luminous, tilted up at the corners but wide and liquid, almost too large for her face. Her small button nose is peppered with freckles and her rosebud mouth quirks happily at the slightest hint of a joke – or even not one. Her hair is styled carefully into short, apricot curls with carefully feathered bangs. Her ears are punctuated firmly every couple of centimeters with another hole, which are currently laced with very fine chain that ends in single rose-quartz droplets. She favors flowing clothing over her skin-tight work clothes in soft, pastel colors.

Likes: Carrots, bento boxes, beads, and anything otter-themed

Dislikes: Bright lights, sudden noises, and small annoying flying creatures

Weapon Proficiency: She knows how to use any number of small implements that might be used in leather working for the sake of making horse-riding materials, as well as treating horse wounds … or to protect said horses. Very good with clubs [best for larger animals trying to attack a herd], a sling [good for smaller, irritating animals – or ones with pretty fur; she's mastered a double-shot method], and a small knife, rather essential when working with anything on four legs.

Magic: Limited due to the fears of the other people in her village; afraid of any “errant” tendencies. Knows mostly healing spells for the benefit of the herd, although she does know the occasional water spell.

Suriah has lived in Gervasiel for as long as she can remember. Being of half-elven descent, she doesn't know who her father was, but she does know that her mother gave birth to her, stayed long enough to give her somewhere to stay [e.i., find someone to pawn her off on], then left. Truthfully, she'd been passed from person to person in the village for as long as she can remember, never having quite enough time to become attached to any one person – maybe because they'd hoped she'd leave when she hit the age of majority.

Unlucky for them, she likes the small, relatively peaceful town. Until recently, its been very calm and a good place to stay. However, her feet have begun to itch for the road, for something different than what she's always known – although she supposes it's a bit late for someone with elven blood. Better late than never, her fellow townspeople would tell you with thinly veiled hope behind their eyes.

:) Hope to jump in game soon!
Kincaide
Errant Scholar

Post by Kincaide »

Name: Doctor Isaiah Hieronymus
Race: Human
Hometown: Port Lorrel, Farrel

Familiar: A large Bearded Vulture by the name of Aylward

Appearance: Five feet and nine inches is not exactly an imposing figure, especially when one is as lean as the doctor is. He is not particularly handsome, he might be more so if he smiled more often than he does but that is not the case. Instead, he is often dour with a furrowed brow and slight frown working lines into his face. His hair is cut back to a thin fuzz and he has a full but short and meticulously groomed beard which attempts and to hide the network of thin scars on his left cheek where he accidentally shattered a vase with his face when he was young. The doctor customarily dresses in a simple black canvas jacket with a patch showing a red hand, palm outward, on its right shoulder and left breast pocket, this marks him as a doctor of the Merciful Hands. The rest of his garments are black trousers of a good cut and a collarless white dress shirt.

The most striking thing about him is his eyes, which have been replaced with a pair of black discs. As such he tends to wear a pair of tinted glasses to hide them.

History: Born and raised in Port Lorrel, he was found to have some magical talent and was sent to learn magic in Tsuiraku. While he was not particularly powerful, he was extremely skilled, able to do quite a bit with very little energy. He was perfectly suited to be a lifemage. He studied and worked in Tsuiraku for some time, despite some very real prejudice against the foreign mage. Eventually, he became sick of dealing with the red tape around medical treatments for half-elves, particularly errants.

He returned to Farrel and tried to continue his research but lacked the proper funding or facilities. Soon enough he was doing medic work for a mercenary group called Ivaans Security. When Ivaans Security lost its contract for law enforcement in the Burginot province they soon went down the inevitable road toward banditry, Isaiah quit and left the group with a nasty present. Ivaans Security has now been dissolved.

On what he believed to be the right track again, Isaiah joined the Merciful Hands aid organization. He was put in charge of a free clinic in Veracia, where he has been working relatively happily for the past few years.

Weapons: Dr. Hieronymus is not much of a fighter but he does carry a seven shot revolver of small caliber. He also carries a relatively new Tsuirakan toy called a 'kinetic bracer' which is a magical device capable of increasing a blow's kinetic energy tenfold as well as producing a localized kinetic barrier without taxing the user. There are newer models out by now but his is still effective. He is also pretty good with various drugs and medicines which can potentially be used to cause harm.

Abilities: He is not incredibly powerful but very skilled, instead of launching a fireball that incinerates a city block, he settles for a more... surgical approach. Nerve clusters can be paralyzed, nausea induced, blood vessels ruptured. He would be a true menace if he did not avoid death and combat as much as possible. As a lifemage he takes the interesting approach of utilizing non-magical healing techniques in his treatments instead of throwing magical energy at the ailment until the problem goes away. As a result, while his treatments may take longer but reduce rehabilitation time and encourage the natural healing processes. His eyes are another interesting enhancement, another magical gadget of his. While they do function like normal human eyes, they also provide a number of other useful diagnostic functions including magnification, infrared vision, magical energy detection, and, if connected to the right equipment, tomography.

((Intended for Gervasiel))
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Kincaide wrote:Name: Doctor Isaiah Hieronymus
This character definitely looks like a go. I started to suggest that it might keep things neater if he graduated from the embryonic teaching practice that the Tsuirakuans have set up in Lorrel, but on reflection, your history is probably better as it is. I'd be a little cautious about letting those eyes have too many special powers, else you have a character that fits better into, say, the Foglio-verse than the Poe-verse. ;) Otherwise it all looks good.

It may take a little while to get a hook written in Gervasiel, but one will be coming...