OOC - Character Workshop

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: OOC - Character Workshop

Post by Graybeard »

Rainman wrote:Name: Ghaz, Best at Lovemaking
Oh, my.

Since we have no idea what the Ghob are like, beyond the straw man conjured up by V-S a long time ago, I have no idea whether the character concept fits the Ghob template or not, although there is probably no reason to believe it doesn't fit. There, however, is the rub. When the Ghob were first mentioned as a possibility, the general direction of Errant Road was very different from what it is now. Do you have something in mind as to how a member of a race previously unknown in Rinkaiel (I presume that's where you're thinking of introducing him, if he's looking for Gault and Mouse) will be able to integrate into the ongoing story line? It wouldn't have been difficult at all under the "rural" (that's the polite word...) setting that was the focus of game activity when the Ghob were first mentioned, but now, there are challenges...

Which is not to say it can't be done, however. What's your intention for where things might go from where the Tsuiraku-town thread currently is?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Rainman
New Poster

Post by Rainman »

Well, I tried to go as much as possible by the outline from the thread you mentioned, down to the naming convention, light sensitivity, most of the physical appearance, and mentality.

I also left the character's origins intentionally vague, so that any later information on the Ghob will find nothing in it to conflict with. Also, as mentioned in Viking Sensei's post, the nature of Ghob is that any who break away from the herd and venture out into the wide world are exceptions to the rule by nature, just to begin with, so it is therefore justified if later background development renders Ghaz a little odd in comparison to the average Ghob.

Ghaz is a drifter, always looking for interesting events to get involved in, and events in the Errant Road are nothing short of interesting at the moment. Right now the ghob's plan extends no further than "Join back up with our old buddy Gault, see where that takes us," and doesn't much care about ideologies or factions involved- Ghaz's loyalty is simply that of a friend to Gault, to follow where he leads and back him where he needs backing. Other than that, there's no driving motivations. Ghaz's raison d'etre is pretty simple and straightforward.

As for justification to the general populace, I suppose Ghaz could claim to be a human cursed by a mage skilled in transformation magic, or claim to be a very short troll or something; the likes of Gault is bound to pick up a crew comprised of all manner of unusual, anyways. Also, the ghob has been wandering for just shy of two decades; that certainly seems like an excuse to put quite the distance from a very remote point of origin and end up in a place like Rinkaiel. Ghaz could simply claim to be a stranger from lands very, very far away. It'd even be true.

In an OOC fashion, I don't have any particular ambitions on grabbing the reins of the story with this character. I'm here to roleplay with my buddies Hours and Havoc in the cool universe of Errant Story, so I'm content to let Ghaz act as reactively as comes natural to the character and leave the development of the plot to the rest. I intend to puppeteer Ghaz more as an actor than a director if you catch my drift, trusting in the "directing" abilities of those I'll be interacting with.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OK, so be it. We'll find a way to make it work. So I gather that he's part of Gault's shadowy "crew" that has come up a few times?

As for "directing" versus "acting," there is a more or less organized thread that has been running for some time and now is focusing around the Gewehr people's growing realization that they have stumbled inadvertently into a dust-up involving Tsuirakuans that they really wanted no part of. There is also a very long-term thing involving a BBEG, although it is deeply submerged at the moment. But there is no reason why there can't be another plot line running in parallel with these. If it makes more sense for Gault, Mouse and Ghaz to go off and do something disconnected from the others -- and it very well might -- then by all means make it so.

Rainman
New Poster

Post by Rainman »

Well, the nature of a story is that it is often a delightfully convoluted yet concentric thing. For all we know, Gault and company may well become involved in fighting this aforementioned BBEG, particularly since Ghaz is more than likely to count such a conflict as exciting and interesting events.

And yeah, Ghaz has been with Gault's crew on and off for years.

So, is the character ready to take part in the roleplay then?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Rainman wrote: So, is the character ready to take part in the roleplay then?
I'd think so. It might take a little more, ah, "development" at the shack (where I think there may be some misconceptions as to what is happening) to get him in, but we'll make it work. It'll be interesting to have a somewhat less conventional character around.

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1237 just started writing up a story to serve as more backstory for Jade. It's in the fanfic forum, feedback would be awesome. **hint hint** :)
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

I'm not sure whether or not I'll be bringing this character into the pass-along story any time soon. But since i've got his profile in mind (updated from the npc gallery) i may as well post it up now.

Name: Leo Landau

Typical Equipment:
Steel shortsword
Revolver
Lockpicks
Climbing knives
Rope
+ typical travelling equipment related to the circumstances

Appearance: Stands at an average 5"10, dashingly handsome (and boy does he know it), he has sharp, well proportioned features which are framed by a shoulder length mass of silky black hair. Sometimes goes in for the 'zorro' type moustache. He wears typical merc clothing on a day to day basis, usually investing in darker shades of colour. However, his outfit, equipment and overall appearance can vary hugely depending whether or not he's pulling a con, Leo has been known to dress as a beggar, an arisocrat and everything inbetween. Has a thin, wiry build.

History: Grew up in foppish circumstances in the richer districts Port Lorrel. Leo grew to hate 'high society' with a passion, even from a young age. People who knew him put this down to his incredibly destructive relationship with his father, a wealthy, permanently disatisfied man who seemed bound and determined to drink himself to death before the age of fifty. His actions admittedly could've been blamed on the death of Leo's mother in childbrith, but whatever the reason the result was an ever-worsening relationship between the two. Leo began engaging in juvenille acts of rebellion which quickly escalated to criminal levels soon after he got out of his teens, after that it was only a matter of time before he found himself arrested. Following his release he had the worst confrontation with his father he'd ever had, and in the ensuing argument was disowned and thrown out the house for good.
In the absence of the little structure he'd had growing up Leo turned professional thief remarkably fast, applying the education and looks he had towards conning people, misdirection and pick-pocketing. He fell in with various groups of thieves, learning and exchanging tricks of the trade. 7 years ago he joined up with a group of Thieves called 'The Silver Hands', a group of would-be revolutionaries, the group was disbanded following events that took place in Ester 3 years back (I'm not posting spoilers here since i'm still writing that bloody story :)).

Personality: Charming and extremely deceptive. As a distraction artist and conman he has a personality well-suited for that purpose. Leo is given towards taking everything as a joke at times, even playing practical jokes on people for his own amusement. However underneath his foppish demeanour he's a good-hearted individual, with a rarely seen, serious side that sometimes rears its head. Has a touch of arrogance to him, but nowhere near what it was when he began his career. He has several ready-made characters he's assumes, all with their individual idiosyncrasies, for the various jobs he does.

Abilities: Besides his knack for fast-talking and acting sensibilities, Leo is also a skilled pickpocket and possessed of a talent for acrobatics and climbing. He's a decent swordfighter and a competant shot but generally saves violence for when he runs out of options.
Last edited by Jack Rothwell on September 7th, 2010, 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

btw, since there's a split coming up in the story this would be would an awesome opportunity for new characters in get involved. Any takers?
ComradeHavok
Free Under My Black Flag

Post by ComradeHavok »

Well, back after a long hiatus. Not sure if anyone missed me.

Anyways, currently hashing out a new character concept, and I have a few questions.

I'm aware that a Half-Elf from Tsuiraku is a bit of a no-no. However, I'm wondering if it would be acceptable to have a foreign half-elf who was trained by a Tsuirakuan magical academy, before heading back east again.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

ComradeHavok wrote:Well, back after a long hiatus. Not sure if anyone missed me.

Anyways, currently hashing out a new character concept, and I have a few questions.

I'm aware that a Half-Elf from Tsuiraku is a bit of a no-no. However, I'm wondering if it would be acceptable to have a foreign half-elf who was trained by a Tsuirakuan magical academy, before heading back east again.
This idea came up once before, in the case of a character somewhat like what you're describing. Consensus (in other words, Impy) had it that something like this should be possible, as long as there is attention to certain details to avoid conflict with canon. Basically, there are two, closely related constraints. One, the half elf PC shouldn't be close to Meji in age, since Meji believes herself to be the only half elf in Tsuirakushiti. A PC at least fifteen years older than Meji, and gone from Tsuirakushiti by the time she was growing up, should meet that constraint. Two, the "Tsuirakuan magical academy" in question probably shouldn't be Sashi Mu, to avoid issues associated with Sashi Mu having a precedent in how they handle half elves.

With this constraints, one would think something should be possible. What do you have in mind? I'm quite interested to hear about this character; the two half elves who've been part of the enduring cast (Lillith and Suriah in the Veracia/Gervasiel threads) have both been a great deal of fun.