OOC - Character Workshop

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: OOC - Character Workshop

Post by Graybeard »

OK, hook written. Welcome!

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Hours
Unit of Time

Post by Hours »

Reading through there is not one time-ninja in this thing. So I made a time-ninja... Who's also a pirate.

It's probably stupidly bland right now but just want to know if anyone can spot blatant errors.

Name: William Gault.

Equipment: Extendable Baton, Garrote, Sawn-off Shotgun and a fistful of shells. Durus Flamma Hape, usually kept under lock and key.

Usually has a decent wad of cash on him for bribes and the like, enough falsified documents to be able to prove that he's twenty or more people who aren't William Gault. Owns his own ship, a Farellian made light cargo hauler with a crew of two dozen or so, this carries most common equipment or tools he could need.

Appearance: Holding on to the tall end of the average height stick, around 5'10"-5'11". Hazel eyes and greying brown hair cut short and rough, usually unshaven but with good grooming apart from that, good teeth. Keeps himself in shape, and has a working tan. Veracian, but has spent enough time abroad to have picked up a bastard accent borrowing from all over making it hard to place exactly where he's from.

Generally dresses like just about anyone at the docks who would be dressed to travel by sea, well worn workmanlike clothing, warm waterproof coats, sturdy boots and the like. Occasionally he will suit up in his Ensigerum robes and swing around the glowing sword, but only occasionally.

History:
Gault came more or less from nothing. Some backwater village in the back end of Veracia's underbelly, to put it kindly the only thing he knew growing up was that his father was a drunk and his mother was some obscure woman that the old man had met in the city and dumped with him.

Raised mainly by his Grandparents and the Church of Luminosita he spent his early years as a good boy who hated his life and desired to see more, failing to accomplish anything with hicksville education he did the next best thing and joined the Veracian Army.

His military years were unremarkable. He served without incident and rose steadily through the ranks, during this time he returned home every once in a while and had the time to marry his first wife, and childhood sweetheart at 19, Gault found himself a young officer in charge of a fistful of men at the age of 21.

At this point he met the Ensigerum, a monk slicing through some apostate rabble rouser to prevent a religious uprising amongst the populace, seen only briefly during a poorly coordinated raid.

For repeatedly inquiring about the devil mage who had helped kill his intended stabee he was demoted and finally booted out of the army. Unemployment strained his marriage, seperated at 22, the ex-wife taking his house while he searched for answers.

Met his second wife soon after, was drunk, fled a week after their first meeting, never learned her name. Months later he finally managed to follow the sparse rumors that led him to the Ensigerum. Gault begged to join but was repeatedly turned down, finally managed to convince them after nine months of begging. Likely not in his right mind the whole time.

Ensigerum straightened him out again. Finally making the rank of full Monk after nine years and being forced to test his loyalty on his first wife back home. He honestly didn't give a crap and has never brooded on the tragic turn of events.

32 years old and beyond Gault has distinguished himself over and over again through 16 years straight of service (and three more wives) to the Ensigerum, and for the last 5 has been manning his turf in the waters and ports of Farrel and Veracia, having set himself up as a competant spy for the Ensigerum under a false identity of a common pirate, smuggler and all around ne'er-do-well, monitoring Farrelian mercenaries and assassins who are trying to break into the Veracian market, or else are just gunning for the Ensigerum's employers on behalf of Farrel or Tsuiraku.

All around he's been rather successful for years, everyone actually expecting a smuggler to be shady and constantly going under aliases as opposed to finding that suspicious in some way. Most people think that he's too busy being a thief to be some sort of crazy magical time-ninja

Personality: In the past Gault fell victim to the usual personality disorders assosciated with the sort of training given to Ensigerum Monks, these days his military background shines brighter than his ninja background.

While he's trained to be able to act in numerous different ways, when he's not putting on such a show most people would just say he's a professional sort who isn't afraid of getting his hands dirty.

Compared to some Ensigerum monks Gault considers himself to be somewhat more pragmatic, he's just as likely to strangle someone to death, or shoot them in the back than he is to suit up in black and zip around to carve them up with his glowy magic sword. He is a firm believer that money talks louder than fists and fireballs, and would prefer to pay others off than to use undue violence.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

This looks like a playable character, well thought out and able to fit into many alternative worlds. One thing that may be an issue is whether the Ensigerum would let someone like this blithely go on his way, in view of what we've learned about them rubbing out Correl, etc. Her Impyness may want to opine on this one, if she's there.

Got anything in mind as a new thread?

Hours
Unit of Time

Post by Hours »

The general idea is that he's genuinely loyal and frequently reports back to his superiors, him being a spy for the Ensigerum, sort of like that one guy who infiltrated the Veracian church and took Ian back to the Ensigerum, only in this case he's set himself up in a broad position as a common face where he's able to gather a fair amount of information wherever he goes along the coasts of Farrel or Veracia.

As for new threads... I'm none too sure if anyone is actually available for some. The status reports are out of date.
ComradeHavok
Free Under My Black Flag

Post by ComradeHavok »

Alright so.. the basic idea I have for a character is a young lass from the Northern Confederacy. During some tribal infighting, a rival tribe unearths some sort of chemical weapon canister from the nearby dwarven ruins and uses it on her village. The attack wipes out her village and renders her permanently mute, with possible lung problems.

She manages to find a rifle in the ruins of the village, then wanders off. She eventually meets some grizzled old northern trapper, who takes her under his wing. She spends the next few years learning to hunt and stalk prey. Then, the old trapper dies of old age. She's left to wander off on her own, and so heads south towards Farrel.

The idea for the character herself is that she's superb sharpshooter who's good at sneaking and getting into small places. And although she's mute, she doesn't let that get her down, and has a very upbeat attitude about most things.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Not bad, not bad at all. One recommendation: go for some other disability than "mute." Although that is a realistic one that adds authenticity to the character, it may complicate playing the game (particularly in communication with other characters) more than you'd really want to face. A nearly blind character in the Rinkaiel threads has been having problems for the same reason. Not a big deal, though.

One more player, and we can probably start a new thread as suggested by Hours. I'd be glad to help construct it, although I've got my hands full playing in the scenarios we've already got.

ComradeHavok
Free Under My Black Flag

Post by ComradeHavok »

Well, her being mute is a pretty major part of her concept. Since I've never played a mute character before, I figured it might be something interesting to try out.
Hours
Unit of Time

Post by Hours »

Trust me when I say I'm more than capable of running something like that on my own, no need to help if you're in other ways busy. I already have a few ideas that don't seem too out there, at least comparatively.

Although in general I'd very much prefer not to have to start out in this place by first having to build my own sandbox to play in, so to speak. The mention of running a new plotline/thread/whatever that isn't integrated with the pre-existing one(s) was there as an 'in case it's too much to ask to be able to participate' scenario. Although if others are willing to give me a go beyond those who are just joining up with me then I'd be happy to run it.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Up to you. Airship Pirates and Rinkaiel are both in need of new blood if you'd rather go that way. Adding to Airship Pirates is particularly easy, as the way the thing was set up had the specific goal of making it easy to add new characters, there being any number of "crew" on the Bonny Read who are anonymous until someone gives them names...

Hours
Unit of Time

Post by Hours »

I think I'll go for Rinkaiel, do I just jump in or do I ask for a hook to it all?