OOC - Character Workshop

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: OOC - Character Workshop

Post by Sareth »

Sounds delightfully average. ^_^ And the average folk that go on to adventure often tend to be the most fun to watch.

What thread were you thinking of joining in?
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

I confess, I can't quite see him as a pirate, unless he joined up by accident, which could be rather amusing to see played out. On the other hand, I'll probably read through the other two and see what's going on before I decide.

I have a vague notion or two on how to introduce him, but I'd definitely need a better idea of the current circumstances to avoid anything cheesy, unless that's something that a modmin normally attends to?

I'm open to any and all suggestions of course.
Last edited by Porcelain Fish on July 26th, 2009, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Well, that could be tricky in some cases.

Regarding the Pirates: accidental piracy is always amusing. Who knows? Maybe he's bought into all those cheesy Romantic Pirate Stories the world insists on making.

Regarding Waldhaxen: they're in the middle of nowhere. Unless he's lost REALLY REALLY badly, or came in on a super-secret military airship... It's a fun group, but getting him involved there might be tricky at the moment. doable, but tricky.

Regarding Lorenzel: Very fun group, in highly populated areas. Pretty easy to connect. The question there simply becomes "what causes a group on a mission to pick up a hopeless romantic?" Quite doable. I recommend talking with Greybeard about that one.
Arreksu
Forum Trainee

Post by Arreksu »

Oh! The other two story threads are open to new characters!?
Very well, I accept. Twizzlers at dawn 'pon the field of honour.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Arreksu wrote:Oh! The other two story threads are open to new characters!?
ANY Errant Road thread in the "on the road" sub-forum is open to new characters. The only reason for proposing Airship Pirates is that it's particularly easy to add them there. As Sareth says, it's hard to add characters at the Waldhaxen Channel simply because it's so remote. (The current stuff with the mysterious airship might offer possibilities, though.) Lorenzel should be more straightforward, there always being chances for random encounters in urban areas.

I'll be back in full contact later today and would be glad to help characters get added, as appropriate.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Lorenzel seems like the most likely place for Maduin to pop up out of the three. He's rather urbane, at least in my concept of him as an effeminate pretty-boy anyway. I was actually thinking of playing off of Argus's backstory a little for an introductory hook for him. I'll probably PM Drannin and you Greybeard. Is there anyone else I should include who needs to be in on it?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Porcelain Fish wrote:Lorenzel seems like the most likely place for Maduin to pop up out of the three. He's rather urbane, at least in my concept of him as an effeminate pretty-boy anyway. I was actually thinking of playing off of Argus's backstory a little for an introductory hook for him. I'll probably PM Drannin and you Greybeard. Is there anyone else I should include who needs to be in on it?
I'm on it. PF, I dropped you a PM about it, and a "hook" has been built into the Lorenzel thread that should make it possible for Maduin to add easily, although we'll need to work out some details. (Argus ain't gonna like it......)

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Porcelain Fish wrote:Hi all, I'm new here, but I've been reading the comic for a few months now.

I saw the advertisement on the main page and I thought I'd give this character creation thing a whirl. I'll be honest, this probably won't be the most original - but here goes.

Name: Maduin Lochlear
Race: Human

Physical characteristics: Curly brown/blonde hair, hazel eyes, not quite plump, but well-fleshed. Dimples. About 5'9'.

Backstory: Maduin is the son of well-to-do merchant Graham Lochlear and his wife, determined homemaker Jeanine Lochlear. He is the third child of five, two brothers and two sisters. (Graham Jr, Lawrence, Susan, and Anastasia). Rather than the well-known and prestigious institution of Sashi-Mu, he attended a smaller, private college on the outskirts of Tsuiraku, Kani Mu Duair.

Maduin is always polite (due to his upbringing), sometimes flighty, occasionally manipulative, on rare occasions sarcastic, and while he's regarded by many of those who know him as fairly bright, he never quite seems to put his intelligence to the proper use that his parents would prefer to advance himself in life. As trite and cliched as it sounds, he's more interested in finding someone to love, with the rest of his priorities often taking a place on the back burner when they should be at the forefront of his attention. His scholastic standing was an unfortunate casualty of said distraction, and while he finished in the upper quarter of his class and acquired a magical license, he didn't do as well as his parents and instructors felt he could have.

Jeanine isn't thick, and she has a fairly good idea of what's on his mind, but unfortunately, what she doesn't know is that the long line of young ladies she's introduced him to don't interest him at all. In fact, he'd rather compete with them for the attention of whatever happens to be tall, broad-shouldered, attractive, and nearby. Therein lies the problem. He can't find anyone to return his affections, so he's decided to broaden his search area.
I just have to say, after this description and the intro post, I already love this guy! The very idea of a Tsuirakujin Beau Brummell wannabe hanging out with the rest of this crowd is just... it makes me giggle so very much!

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Templar771
Forum Regular

Post by Templar771 »

Name: Charlie Green
Race: Half-Elf

Origins: Has spent his life (when not in an airship) in Isabel living on the streets and scrounging for money until he eventually signed up for an airship. He was good with mechanics and his small size meant he was able to reach difficult (the more dangerous) places the older engine room staff couldn't. But his true passion was the guns and so he snatched up his first opportunity to be on the gun decks. As he got older he reached chief gunner and would sell his services as security for traders and travellers. He lost his eye when the gun deck was hit by a cannon shot (he was blessed in the fact that it missed the ammunition stores and fuel tanks) and a wood splinter hit his face. After his narrow glance with death he decided to go into the privateer industry (there was more money in and he had been fired by his previous employer). But the last ship he signed onto crashed into the sea, and he was picked up by a fishing boat and take back to port, he has been looking for work ever since. He finds painting (along with drinking, smoking and gambling) as a hobby to keep himself busy when he's not trying to blow stuff up.

Appearance: Shortish Black hair, green eyes, about 6'5, has eye patch over left eye (somewhat piratey I know), wears: Black boots, white t-shirt, with a black leather vest over it to keep things in, and some grey trousers.

Equipment: Has a rifle, pistol and cutlass (more pirate stuff sorry), large quantities of whisky and cigarettes, painting set with about two dozen different paints and a lot of canvas. Has a set of cards to keep him occupied and gain some cash and a black and white kitten call Patch.

(Let me know if there are any holes in it and I will tidy them up.)
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Wait... Is he a helmsman or a gunner?

Eh, either way, welcome aboard.