OOC: Heretic Knowledge Vault article

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

OOC: Heretic Knowledge Vault article

Post by Graybeard »

To generate a little PR for this project, I've set up an Errant Road article at the Heretic Knowledge Vault (the Errant Story wiki). Right now it's rather bland, pending developments here and also a sense of what should be in the article. Heretical Monks (people with handles on the wiki) are encouraged to make edits, as usual, and if you're a user on the Forum but not on the HKV, please put suggested edits into this thread and one of us Monks will have a go at it.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: OOC: Heretic Knowledge Vault article

Post by Graybeard »

Let me reactivate this thread with a call for some discussion. A couple of people have been suggesting that it might be useful not just for Errant Road to have its own HKV article, as it does, but also for Errant Road characters to have articles. I can see definite value to this, in terms of helping participants keep track of who is what and where, and it shouldn't be too hard to do. However, there may be IP issues. Impy? Your opinion would be particularly valuable, but anyone with an opinion is invited to discuss before we move forward with HKV articles (which could include venues, offbeat spells, etc., as well as characters), if indeed we do so. Fire away...

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

That would, in fact, be handy. Having pages for general storylines, trends, and locations would help summarize things nicely for new players who are afraid to wade into... what... 50 pages now? And character pages would be even more handy. It would help both the player of the character and other players as well to remember what events have happened in the past. It also includes a place where things that might be important to know or remember but which doesn't get explicitly mentioned in thread on a frequent basis can be placed. And it also means character bios can easily be updated and found without having to pour through a "characters thread" that is in no way, shape, or form organized and which covers multiple pages.

I approve!
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Since the communal world-building here may not march along with the official world-building, and since Poe is supposed to remain completely in the dark as to what world-building is happening here to avoid IP issues later... Perhaps the Errant Road set of wiki articles needs to be somehow clearly marked and a little segregated as part of Errant Road so casual readers don't get confused, and so that Poe can avoid reading them. If that can be managed, I think it's an awesome idea to have a section of the wiki for the RP.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Imp-Chan wrote:Since the communal world-building here may not march along with the official world-building, and since Poe is supposed to remain completely in the dark as to what world-building is happening here to avoid IP issues later... Perhaps the Errant Road set of wiki articles needs to be somehow clearly marked and a little segregated as part of Errant Road so casual readers don't get confused, and so that Poe can avoid reading them. If that can be managed, I think it's an awesome idea to have a section of the wiki for the RP.
That shouldn't be too hard. At the very least, it should be possible to treat articles as "descendants" of the main Errant Road article, e.g. an article title like "Errant Road/Characters" or such. An appropriate header template should be devised as well, and also should be easy.

More difficult, but also maybe more useful to the readers, would be to create an actual Errant Road namespace. That requires getting in and futzing with the innards of the wiki, and I'm not sure I have the fluency to do that. Slamlander or kaitou?

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

An Errant Road namespace? Would that be like a seperate wiki hosted on the same space? or are you talking about just a subdomain of the Vault?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sareth wrote:An Errant Road namespace? Would that be like a seperate wiki hosted on the same space? or are you talking about just a subdomain of the Vault?
The latter. Do you follow the "Girl Genius" webcomic, by chance? There was a big flap on its wiki a few months ago when there was an attempt to set up a "mad" namespace so that the really speculative stuff could be recognized as distinct from the clearly factual articles, which were modeled on the HKV (I had a big hand in setting them up). So for each character, say Agatha Heterodyne (the "heroine" of Girl Genius), there'd be a regular "Agatha Heterodyne" article with the factual stuff, and then "Mad:Agatha Heterodyne" for all the speculation (so titled because that comic is about mad scientists, after all). Then the "Mad:(foo)" articles could be promoted to a spot on the main page to make navigation easier. Problem is, that cratered because of previously undiscovered bugs in the wiki software. I don't think the Wikia people ever got that fixed.

If our wiki software here allows it, I could see something like "Errant Road:Kiyoka" as an article to parallel the existing Kiyoka article, and "Errant Road:Jamie Porter" for your character, who has no parallel in the Poe-verse, and so on -- all reachable by some hierarchy that's accessible via the main HKV page. That would reach Impy's goal of keeping the info well compartmented. Thing is, I don't know whether it's possible with the existing software, or whether it would hit the same bugs as GG ran into, in which case some less clear partition will have to be found. Again, kaitou or SL? You guys know anything about this?

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I do read GG. Love it. But I've never hit the wiki or the forums for it.

But that's answers the question. If you had problems with it on their wiki, I'd be worried that they may crop up again here. Might it be easier to just create an independent wiki, then crosslink it?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sareth wrote:But that's answers the question. If you had problems with it on their wiki, I'd be worried that they may crop up again here. Might it be easier to just create an independent wiki, then crosslink it?
It might be, but probably easier yet is just setting up a hierarchical structure under the main "Errant Road" wiki article. This is my day off, so let me play with Errant Road wiki-stuff a little and see what can be done. We can always rename articles...

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OK, I've set up a category for Errant Road articles in the HKV and created a couple of gadgets to help identify such articles. Please look at this sample article (no real content yet) to see how it all might work. See also the "Notes to Authors of Errant Road articles" section of the main Errant Road article at the HKV. Impy, I'd particularly like to get your opinion of this scheme; does it provide adequate partition between Errant Road stuff and the Poe-verse?