OOC - Character Classes

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

OOC - Character Classes

Post by Viking-Sensei »

What we've been using as NPCs (so far) don't really fit the NPC mold, and it's got me thinking... so I have a plan that I think will make things a fair bit easier on everyone and will help keep the story moving at a good clip, especially now that we're splitting off into a nice multi-arc drama mode. I want to introduce "Character Classes"... and not like Fighter, Mage, etc. They go as listed:

Main Character - Your direct avatar, the more-or-less representation of you in the Errant Road universe. You have near absolute control over this character - it's generally considered rude for other players to "hijack" this character for anything other than absolutely-have-to-move-the-plot-along occurances, however it can be done under certain circuimstances, like where you yourself might not be able to control your actions. Ideally, everyone should have at least one and at most two or three of these.

Secondary Character - Somewhere between a main character and the traditional NPC, the secondary character is someone who still features prominently in the story but is much more of a character-y character than a straight-up NPC. Good examples of secondary characters would be familiars, people who join the party temporarily (like Keyes), or Main Characters who have been abandoned by their creators and are operating on autopilot until their creator returns. By default, secondary characters fall under the control of the creator, however they can be broken off, stolen, or used by other players as the need allows. A secondary character may also be promoted to a main character, if the need arises (For instance, if Graybeard "took over" Keyes so he could keep with the main party without forsaking Grope or his adventures). Any major plot, backstory, or character development happening to a secondary character should be initiated by their creator unless the creator waives his rights to them.

Non-Player Character - "Hi, welcome to Kiyoka." "Hi, welcome to Kiyoka." "Hi, welcome to Kiyoka." The NPC is one step away from furniture, merely a decoration of the scene or a means to an end. Want to buy something? Well, there's a shop, so it's only fair to assume someone is running the shop... does he have a name, a wife, kids a life? Does it really matter? NPCs are the nameless faceless mob that keeps the world running. Creators have no rights whatsoever to NPCs; they are completely public domain and at the whim of whoever uses them.

The exception would be if an NPC would suddenly start being important (IE : trapped in a room with the heroes, the shop keeper suddenly turns out to be an ex-Wraith with a cache of weapons under the counter), at which time the NPC would become a Secondary Character under the umbrella of control of the person promoting him. This should, for historical accuracy, be known as "Baiting". Ask Impy why... no, really, ask her why.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: OOC - Character Classes

Post by Graybeard »

Nicely clarified. One thing, since you named names here and there may be a bit of confusion as a result:
Viking-Sensei wrote: A secondary character may also be promoted to a main character, if the need arises (For instance, if Graybeard "took over" Keyes so he could keep with the main party without forsaking Grope or his adventures).
Let me be clear: I set up Keyes as an NPC, not as my secondary character, so feel free to use him as necessary to move things along. I only plugged him in on that one exchange on the ship because it felt like things were dragging, and an opportunity for a narrative hook seemed useful. Feel free to do with him as you will, including throwing him overboard if the situation requires it or it might be entertaining. Similarly, I hereby renounce all exclusive rights (with one exception) to that cast of characters at Kugelheim; consider them (except for Mr. Gabriel, who should disappear promptly and immediately from the story) as props available to help move the plot along, if people find them useful.

I do have plans for a couple of secondary characters, to be revealed if and when (and disposable), but don't worry about it for the moment.

EDIT: One of those secondaries is Mr. Stagpoole. He is definitely NOT a generic NPC. Feel free to use him for interactions aboard or involving the ship, but for any major stuff, please check with me first.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Oh, one other thing: What to do about the BBEG(s)? Most of our characters seem to be developing in directions that will eventually require some manner of major antagonist, and the antagonist will have to have considerably more development than the generic NPC -- yet it won't be someone we generally want to treat as a "primary." The example of the moment is Layla, for whom I am developing a very non-public backstory that will eventually bring her into contact, and probably conflict, with various people. I suspect that there are other BBEGs that people have in mind for their characters to "interact" with; how to introduce them, then get them in play with the right set of interactions?

Incidentally, ever since I thought of Layla, I've been unable to get Derek and the Dominoes out of my head ...

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

I'm quite willing to tie into someone else' BBEG. You know... "Kill him! And all his friends! Especially the androgynous one!" "HEY! I only just met the guy!" "Kill the androgynous one twice!"
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

I think BBEGs should be treated as Secondary Characters, unless someone joining wants to take up the role of Bad Guy of Choice and play that as their main character.

I would, however, suggest that people should avoid being their own main character's nemesis, for ease of interplay... witty banter is fun, so everyone should get to play. Also, we probably only have room for three or four supervillians at this time, so everyone should be aware of this when drafting/adopting bad guys.

I might suggest, if our rogue's gallery grows to sufficient girth, we employ Plan Z (As in Dragonball Z) where we develop some logical and organic heiarchy for the villians, such as "A is actually B's underling, C and D are the wings of E's overall conspiracy to take over the world..." things like that.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Viking-Sensei wrote:I think BBEGs should be treated as Secondary Characters, unless someone joining wants to take up the role of Bad Guy of Choice and play that as their main character.

I would, however, suggest that people should avoid being their own main character's nemesis, for ease of interplay... witty banter is fun, so everyone should get to play. Also, we probably only have room for three or four supervillians at this time, so everyone should be aware of this when drafting/adopting bad guys.
This sounds logical. I may be stuck with Grope and Layla interacting until such time as I can get one or both of them out of Kiyoka. I'm working on it ... and it will make sense.