Calling all RPGers

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: Calling all RPGers

Post by Sareth »

This I have GOT to see!
Tiamat
Jordan's Lab Assistant

Post by Tiamat »

Labrat wrote:
Labrat wrote:Expect a portly little bastard carrying little bundles of charms, a panama hat, and a collapsible chair on four wooden crablegs that carries him around.
Drannin two minutes later wrote:The character I have in mind is an expatriate Tsuirakushitian (hope I got that one right) mage who specializes in animation magic. Y'know, animate chair, animate plate, animate.... uh.... stuff.
Sonofabitch.
That is all.
Add to the the fact that two people are already playing animator mages of a sort (a golem maker and a familiar maker) and... yeah.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

I wasn't technically thinking of making an animator caster, the chair simply being a thing he paid out his nose for sometime in the past, but idea number one is indeed out... though I thought you bastards were supposed to be universally gunswinging lunatics of various brands. Anyway, it seems somebody is sitting around behind the scenes cranking out subliminal messages 24-7. Time to break out the tinfoil hat and go back to the drawingboard.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

How about a comprimise? The standard "Animate _________" spells have temporary, short range effects only... I can make this chair walk, but only whie I'm sitting in it, and it's a constant outputting of my magical energy to keep it up. Your crab lounger, on the other claw, is something more akin to Rincewind's luggage... half chair, half sentient familiar, powered by it's own magic and capable of operating indefinately under it's own power...
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

One thing we don't have yet is a Religious Fanatic. They often prove useful for plot development, and even more so, character development, as foils for the not-so-religious to play off of. There are plenty of opportunities to run such a character in here, maybe more than one; religions in the Poe-verse seem to be competitive but non-confrontational -- one of several regards in which the Poe-verse is a better place than our own world, perhaps. Anyone?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Labrat
Errant Scholar

Post by Labrat »

Viking-Sensei wrote:How about a comprimise? The standard "Animate _________" spells have temporary, short range effects only... I can make this chair walk, but only whie I'm sitting in it, and it's a constant outputting of my magical energy to keep it up. Your crab lounger, on the other claw, is something more akin to Rincewind's luggage... half chair, half sentient familiar, powered by it's own magic and capable of operating indefinately under it's own power...
Sounds good to me. My schtick was mostly just to have a mediocre caster who passes himself off as top-notch mostly through cheating. Charms to focus spells and outright store meticulously crafted ones for a rainy day, the odd tool that does something difficult in his stead. When he has to do something on the fly without any aids, there are generally a few... sideffects. I certainly wasn't planning on having an assassin garotted by his own underwear.
Graybeard wrote:One thing we don't have yet is a Religious Fanatic. They often prove useful for plot development, and even more so, character development, as foils for the not-so-religious to play off of. There are plenty of opportunities to run such a character in here, maybe more than one; religions in the Poe-verse seem to be competitive but non-confrontational -- one of several regards in which the Poe-verse is a better place than our own world, perhaps. Anyone?
That is a possibility. If I want to play up the role as much as possible, I could whip up a low level inquisition member on indefinite sabbatical. While it is damn near impossible for a member of their church to lose faith in their god, as the shiny bastard is floating above your capital city and smiting people every Wednesday, I can see how the church as a political and bureaucratic unit would drive such a man to distraction. In a prolonged fit of intermittent intoxication and self-flagellation, I could see him associating with preexisting characters given enough cause... though I am sure you guys would give him a neverending nervous twitch.

With more conventional clergymen, the issue is that the more fanatical they are, the less they would wish to have to do with you guys. It would take quite a bit to pry one out of his parish.

You would, however, be more likely by far to encounter and deal with a layman rather than a member of the church hierarchy. The hitch is that such a man would have the magical ability half that of asphalt and thus worthless according to our original purpose.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Labrat wrote:
Graybeard wrote:One thing we don't have yet is a Religious Fanatic. They often prove useful for plot development, and even more so, character development, as foils for the not-so-religious to play off of. There are plenty of opportunities to run such a character in here, maybe more than one; religions in the Poe-verse seem to be competitive but non-confrontational -- one of several regards in which the Poe-verse is a better place than our own world, perhaps. Anyone?
That is a possibility. If I want to play up the role as much as possible, I could whip up a low level inquisition member on indefinite sabbatical. While it is damn near impossible for a member of their church to lose faith in their god, as the shiny bastard is floating above your capital city and smiting people every Wednesday, I can see how the church as a political and bureaucratic unit would drive such a man to distraction. In a prolonged fit of intermittent intoxication and self-flagellation, I could see him associating with preexisting characters given enough cause... though I am sure you guys would give him a neverending nervous twitch.
That would certainly work. Events at the Veracian "mission" in Kiyoka might provide such a character more than adequate justification to go find out what's going on. He could start either in Kiyoka (currently under well-intentioned investigation/bombardment by Kureji) or Port Lorrel (having followed the intrepid crew there via warp gate -- not sure why the original party didn't gate in, but anyway...).

It isn't necessary to be a Veracian Religious Fanatic, though. There could easily be other deities out there, whether "real" (like Anilis) or false. Grope has already alluded to a troll deity named Growf, although it might be a stretch to explain why a non-troll should worship a troll ghod. And there's always Exitialis...
Labrat wrote:With more conventional clergymen, the issue is that the more fanatical they are, the less they would wish to have to do with you guys. It would take quite a bit to pry one out of his parish.
Nah. Not every Religious Fanatic is necessarily ultra-straitlaced (personal story involving relatives and in-laws on request). Do you think that 2500 years ago, a priest of Bacchus would have been unwilling to be seen with a crowd like this?

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Viking-Sensei wrote:How about a comprimise? The standard "Animate _________" spells have temporary, short range effects only... I can make this chair walk, but only whie I'm sitting in it, and it's a constant outputting of my magical energy to keep it up. Your crab lounger, on the other claw, is something more akin to Rincewind's luggage... half chair, half sentient familiar, powered by it's own magic and capable of operating indefinately under it's own power...
That's pretty much what I was going for. He's not a golem maker, he uses magic to manipulate nonbiological matter, but only as long as he's focusing on. It's like low-key transmutation, except the structure retains the same composition and vlomue/mass. So golems and familiars are out, lead to gold is out. Animating beer to walk into his lazy mouth is in, as is getting a table to suddenly shift so that it's flipping somebody off. Or a floorboard to punch somebody in the nads.

Hell, the idea I've been toying with is that he got tossed out of Tsuirkushiti because he perfected the "animate panties" spell.
Reason
New Poster

Post by Reason »

Anyone mind if I play?

Gunna play classic "Blow it up. Failing that, start using brain" type of mage.

He even has a staff.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[Jamie Mode: On]

Just keep your rod of wonder away from me, bucko...

[Jamie Mode: Off]

The more the merrier! Welcome!