New to the scene

For the Rules, Character Workshop, and other general discussion of the game.
koshkoo
Forum Regular
Location: On A planet we claim to be Earth, when 70% or more is water

New to the scene

Post by koshkoo »

*taps mic* test one two

Um.. greetings and salutations...

New to the scene here, been reading errant story and find it pretty interesting, was thinking of giving it a shot at the point there's an advertisement for role calls.

While I have a concept (old RP character) of a traveling asian chef on wheels, the whole scene of errant story is pretty new to me, any pointers before I start fleshing out my idea?
Stuff
Posing
As
Meat!
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Re: New to the scene

Post by Imp-Chan »

I think the concept of a traveling chef character holds a lot of potential for pretty much anywhere in the RPG. There's not really an "asian" idea here, but there's plenty of room to come up with something similar. A Tsuirakujin chef could be especially entertaining, as Tsuiraku has some unique culinary developments (when you're a floating city, you grow food in creative ways).

I'm moving this thread into the RPG discussion area, hopefully you'll get some more input from others in the game. You may also want to review the Unified Theory of the Errant Road Universe as it has some general information about character creation and the like.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Imp-Chan wrote:I think the concept of a traveling chef character holds a lot of potential for pretty much anywhere in the RPG. There's not really an "asian" idea here, but there's plenty of room to come up with something similar. A Tsuirakujin chef could be especially entertaining, as Tsuiraku has some unique culinary developments (when you're a floating city, you grow food in creative ways).

I'm moving this thread into the RPG discussion area, hopefully you'll get some more input from others in the game. You may also want to review the Unified Theory of the Errant Road Universe as it has some general information about character creation and the like.

^-^'
As it happens, there's a nearly perfect opportunity right now to introduce something like this. The city of Rinkaiel, which (as far as we know) exists only in the Errant Road-verse, is known to have a "Tsuiraku-town" district equivalent to Chinatown districts in many of the world's cities. It has only been sketched so far, but that sketch does call for the district to be populated by expats from Tsuiraku. One would think that a traveling chef should fit right in there.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Garlock
Forum Trainee

Post by Garlock »

Can I just point out that the guy opting to cook on the airship has been a serious no-show?
koshkoo
Forum Regular

Post by koshkoo »

Interesting, thanks for the link, cuts down thread digging a lot to do homework before I flesh it out.

airship as a form of travelling as it may be presented in the 5th element is nice, but not really practical since you'll get 1928401834 bandits after your store because it could fly... I was thinking on the sense of a oreintal looking cart dragged along by a horse with a kitchen and a bar for serving, so food could be prepared in front of the customer etc etc.

I always fancy playing the 'npc' instead of some hero class, find it more exciting and down to earth... I shall input more after I've done my reading up homework, but definitely you can expect oriental iron chef style cooking, while I won't mind the chef having some hidden agenda, some sort of info broker or spy or what not....

and perhaps you might need to change your airship cook he he
Stuff
Posing
As
Meat!
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

That concept would certainly work in the Rinkaiel thread, using Tsuiraku-town as a base of operations. One thing:
koshkoo wrote:I always fancy playing the 'npc' instead of some hero class, find it more exciting and down to earth... I shall input more after I've done my reading up homework, but definitely you can expect oriental iron chef style cooking, while I won't mind the chef having some hidden agenda, some sort of info broker or spy or what not....
We don't actually have "character classes" here, in the sense of certain unmentionable commercial RPGs. What we have instead, with just one or two exceptions, are a bunch of characters who hail from recognizable settings in the Poe-verse, and happen to have skill sets (magical or otherwise) appropriate to that background. Thus, Argus, for example, isn't a mage who comes from Tsuiraku; rather, he's a Tsuirakuan exile who happens to have magical skills commensurate with the professor in Tsuirakushiti that he used to be. Layla and Jamie aren't "assassins" in the sense of that unnamed RPG; one is from the Gewehr, the other a freelance mercenary, and both happen to be very good with firearms and (at least in Layla's case) highly agile, because those are the survival skills that their respective backgrounds would instill in them. Is the distinction clear?

Anyway, your cook would fit just fine, and could have as much, or as little, proficiency in non-routine stuff as you wanted him/her to have. Go for it! And I'd be happy to help you develop that "hidden agenda" as appropriate; there's one almost pre-fabricated in Rinkaiel that we could discuss off line.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
koshkoo
Forum Regular

Post by koshkoo »

the long and grinding reading on the heretic knowledge vault between free time....

what I have worked out so far... there 5 major continents. the northern continent that's connected by land to a large peninsula called Veracia, the the east of Veracia is some wild swampy land mass unknown to current society of its full environment... to its west is a huge island Farrel and then Tsuiraku.

Its still a rather blur idea on a lot of aspects but so far its dawns on me the technological advancement in at least the human race is a slanting gradient downwards from Tsuiraku to Veracia.

Guns and technology would be at best on the steam engine and gun powder era, therefore no electricity.

Magic is like a discipline talent that varies from person to person, which pretty much means inconsistency throughout the whole population, so there's devices to ease such problems of applications.

Language difference is something I have yet to finish digging into in conjunction to the social behaiviour and culture of each continent.

Have I got a right concept so far about the basic geographical and technological setup of the errand universe or did I mis- interpret some of it?

here's the concept I would want to pitch of my chef, I'd call her a chef since she's been practicing her trade of cooking from a long line of heritage, what this family of cook had passed down is an affiliation I'd suppose, towards heat. meaning they might not be able to create fire, but is able to detect ,absorb, store, transfer, sustain and utilize heat sources. A very useful feat for someone working in a kitchen, so if magic is something like a born talent that is refined with practice, to her it would very possibly be like breathing air while doing it. It is usual in her line men were to be blacksmiths and women chefs.

And to be fairly good at it, I'd say she's around her 30s at least to be able to sufficiently strong in what she does. She's currently travelling, or had travelled for quite a few years for some unknown reason which I have not been able to device, but due to the lack of geographical knowledge of the errant universe in depth I wouldn't be able to make her knowledgeable about traveling, so I am thinking along the line of giving her a horrible handicap; a sense of direction so bad, bad can't even begin to describe it. this would also possibly give her the odd moments to show up in almost impossible places that she doesn't intend to travel to.

basic settings would be the ownership of 4 wheeled cart which is big enough for her to setup a kitchen with a side window for serving, and a place to sleep, a horse or something similar to drag it with some interesting traps to ward off bandits. something like that travelling kitchen you'd see in the 5th element...

I have yet work out an agenda or reason for her to travel, nor where she might very possibly come from, so... any advice on where it might be more possible such a heritage family could be?

p.s. I'd also like to have her a familiar.... a levitating squid... that helps her out. familiars are usually pets aren't they?
Stuff
Posing
As
Meat!