The road to Gervasiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Re: The road to Gervasiel

Post by Drannin »

Argus glanced over as Rose headed for the trees. Wonder what it's about. Well, if it was important to all of them, Rose would let them know.

Harker was still being quiet and sullen. The rest of the crew was also being silent, probably from weariness. As for Argus...

Irritatingly, what was primarily on his mind, even after all of these revelations, was his wardrobe. He glanced down at the plain shirt and trousers he was sporting. "I really need a new wardrobe," he said to no one in particular.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Why wouldn't this bird come down to me when I was with the others? Sister Rose wondered. It wasn't like the existence of the carrier parrots was any big secret to any of them except maybe Drusia, and Rose had permission to share what the bird had to say, as long as it wasn't at the MARIGOLD level, as this one wasn't. Well, maybe events would answer her question.

[OOC: Since this is occurring "offstage" from the standpoint of the other characters, the parrot's message is listed here as a spoiler; feel free to read or not...]
Spoiler: show
(UNCLASSIFIED) We have nothing for you today regarding your primary quest, although some uncomfortable questions are starting to be asked in and around a certain office up here that I cannot name; more on that later, I hope. However, in a reversal of our roles thus far, a thing has arisen that we hope you can help us with. Its classification does not go beyond SECRET, but as will be clear, it is something not to share with your traveling companions.

(CONFIDENTIAL) I mentioned earlier that Captain Kitaura, head of the Homeland Security sort-of-police force in Kiyoka when you left there, was transferred to Rinkaiel on very short notice, or so we thought. The Tsuirakuans have now confirmed this at the Unclassified level, although they still aren't saying why. Because of his interest in the Malletarians, we continue to search for information on what he's up to in Rinkaiel, but that is beyond the scope of this message, or our request to you.

(CONFIDENTIAL) A replacement for CPT Kitaura in Kiyoka has now been named. To our surprise, the new commander is a woman, one Captain Haniko Goto. Personally, I have certain reservations about this appointment; in general I am skeptical of the ability of a woman to handle an assignment like that -- present, exceptionally formidable company excepted, of course. However, the Tsuirakuans do things their own way. Sister Margaret has not met this woman yet, and therefore has not formed her own opinion of her, but she reports that CPT Goto has been applying her distinctive -- style -- to the Tsuirakuan force, as reported by Brother Farley's battlemage fiancee. (In the words of that young woman, and I quote Margaret word for word: Kristi -- I presume that's Farley's betrothed -- says that "if Goto were a man, she'd have two great big brass ones." Interpret that as you will.)

(SECRET) We have no other information on this CPT Goto. As far as we can tell, Goto is a common surname among Tsuirakuans, and our sources in the floating city are few and far between. Thus our request. If possible without creating undue curiosity on their part, we would like you to discreetly inquire with your Tsuirakuan fellow travelers and see whether they might have any useful information about this woman. We believe there is a real chance that they will; Dr. Cleiviein at one time had sufficient social status, not to mention a military past, to know about climbers, as this woman is alleged to be, and Maduin Lochlear was sent by Kitaura, after all. Please do NOT describe this particular request to them, but you are authorized to say that this message contains the name of Captain Haniko Goto, and perhaps you can wonder -- innocently, of course -- whether that name is familiar to them. Then report, at your convenience, anything that you learn, classifying it at the SECRET level. If you judge some of the details to require higher classification, proceed according to your best judgment.

(UNCLASSIFIED) The Powers That Be will be very grateful if you can help with this one. More on that other subject when I have more to tell you. Meanwhile, safe travels, wherever you're going.

Bernie
Rose didn't bother to conceal the body of the parrot after it keeled over; the woods here didn't look traveled at all, and some scavenger would eventually take care of it. She also didn't bother to be "discreet" in her questioning as she returned to the wagon; the group had been traveling together for long enough that it wasn't really necessary, in her mind. She simply buttonholed Maduin and Argus, who still seemed to be dithering about the strange bead. "Any chance either of you would know something about a Haniko Goto back in your home country?"

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Harker heard the name Haniko Goto. He moaned and cringed, waiting.

Argus heard the name Haniko Goto. His response was a tad different.

"@$%!$!!!"

Argus' sudden roar of profanity was enough that it had apparently shocked the woods themselves into silence. Everyone stared at him in disbelief and confusion, aside from Harker, who had known enough to hide from the proverbial storm.

"That #%@&*)#@ piece of $%@^#&!!!" Argus screeched. He had bolted to his feet at the very sound of the name. His eyes blazed with hate. His entire body quivered with barely suppressed rage. It seemed that a chill wind had kicked up from somewhere and was focusing around Argus. If one looked closely, it almost appeared that pulses of electricity were crackling along his skin, and making his hair stand on end. And... was the cart itself bending?!

"@^&%#&^!! That #%$#! if I ever set my ^$#& eyes on that %$&$ ^&%*%^, so help me all-^%^&%8 weave, I will ^*%*^())&*(* to her!!!" The sum total effect was to make the previously placid professor into what appeared to be a psychotic, rampaging, magical lunatic. Argus' head snapped around quickly enough to make everyone jump. "Did you just say Haniko Goto?!?!"

"Yes." Rose said in a tiny voice.

Argus stopped blinked. Looked around him at the expressions that ranged from confusion to pants-wetting terror. Looked back at Rose. "...excuse me a moment..." he rasped out, like a faucet barely holding back the pressure of a flood screaming through it's pipes. The next moment, Argus had vaulted to the ground and set off at a dead run for the forest, into which he disappeared.

A few moments later, everyone could hear his voice, screaming incoherently. Some of the words, however, could be identified as colorful, and creative, profanity from at least five different languages. Several explosions occurred, punctuating particularly vile words, and a number of trees began to either tumble to the ground or explode.

Harker slowly peeked his head up, looked at the forest, then at Sister Rose. Despite the fur, Harker managed to look ash-pale. "Oh, Rose..." Harker moaned, "You really tripped a land-mine there!"
Last edited by Drannin on January 30th, 2010, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Well, it looks like he does," opined Brad, master of the obvious.

Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin coughed and arranged his clothing, taking a moment to regain his composure, absently dismissing the half-seen flickering of the magical barrier he'd instictively conjured with a wave.

"Haniko Goto," he began "is something of a sore subject to the good Dr. Cleiviein. I've no personal experience with her, but from what I understand, she was a very close acquaintance of Dr. Cleiviein's wife before her passing. The resulting antipathy between them . . ." He gestured to the burning, exploding forest. "Well, you can see it for yourself. I've never actually met her in person, but from what I understand, she's something of a climber - very ambitious and not always . . . overly concerned about the human dimension of some of her command decisions. She is respected, but I would venture to say she is not popular."

Especially not with Fayna. As near as Maduin could tell, Fayna thought the woman was half-mad, and yet curiously enough, that madness endgendered a wary sort of admiration, much like the admiration of a hunter stalking a great cat. If Haniko was becoming involved in affairs, Maduin would need to step very carefully indeed. Still, with a great deal of finesse, and even more luck, he just might be able to extract something that would aid Fayna in neutralizing her and furthering their designs.

His gaze flicked up to meet Rose's. "Why do you ask?"
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Before Rose could reply, something caught her attention. Some time during Argus' tirade into the woods, or during Maduin's small explanation, Lillith had apparently slipped out of the coffin, the cart, and view. The girl was, inexplicably, missing.

Lillith herself couldn't explain what she thought she was doing. It certainly wasn't courage that was leading her to walk into the woods. She had none. She'd been nothing but a cowering victim every time something had happened since she'd met this odd group. And it certainly wasn't intelligence. Anyone smart would be running the other way, distancing themselves from what lay ahead of her.

But no...

Sucking her lower lip, ignoring the pain in her head, the girl stepped out into a very new clearing, walked softly through the splintered remains of what had once been trees, and wrapped her arms around Argus from behind. She rested her head between his shoulder blades and pulled herself to his back.

"Fa... father?"
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus stopped. His face remained locked in an expression of demonic rage, his hand stretched out like a claw towards yet another unfortunate tree. Slowly, Lillith's presence and words seeped into him. Just as slowly, the hatred and rage seeped out of him, leaving an empty, hollow feeling. Argus' demonic visage dissolved, leaving an expression of weary surprise. His arm slowly lowered to his side. Blinking, Argus looked around the clearing he had personally created, feeling numb.

"L...Lillith, dear?" he asked in a weak,trembling voice. The only response was Lillith's hands tightening against his back. Argus was fairly certain that he could feel her trembling. It was hard to tell, mind you, given that his own body was vibrating with fading anger... but he was pretty sure of it. Not that he could blame her.

Weave. I hear her name, and THIS is the result. I'd forgotten just how much I loathed...

Argus took a deep breath and let it out, slow. "Why... oh, why... did it have to be Haniko Goto...?" he mumbled quietly.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Lillith tightened her grip, feeling a bit safer now that Argus seemed to be recovered from his destructive side. She spoke softly, eyes closed, trying to fight back her own shaking. "Who is she?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Why do you ask?"

Sister Rose started to answer, changed her mind; Argus would want to know too, once he'd calmed down from his rage, and it would be better only to tell the story once. But then she was surprised -- "stunned" would be more like it -- when Lillith went to calm her father. Best to let that play out, she thought, and decided she might answer Maduin's question after all. Then she remembered the letter of introduction that had preceded Maduin's integration into the party, and realized that he had his own reasons to know what was happening. Yes, it was time to plow ahead while father and daughter "interacted."

"Maduin, when you joined us, we had a letter from a Homeland Security big shot named Captain Kitaura back in Kiyoka that we should expect you," she explained, watching the man's face for a reaction and seeing none. "Or at least we thought he was in Kiyoka; Argus and I had dealt with him some while we were there. But the message that I just got says that he's not in Kiyoka at all any more. He suddenly got transferred somewhere else, and we don't know why." She didn't think it was the right time to tell him that they did know the where, if not the why; that could come later. She forged ahead.

"The message says that Kitaura was replaced in Kiyoka by this Captain Haniko Goto. She's apparently already established something of a reputation for herself there. We'd like to know more about her; I still work for Our Lord Luminosita's mission in Kiyoka, after all. So why did that name cause Argus to react so violently? Just mere antipathy to a friend of his late wife doesn't seem like enough to justify all that rage. Of course, I could be wrong..."

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"She was my friend," Argus whispered. "A long time ago." Had it been so long? Another life... when he was young and the world seemed so full of promise. "We were in the battlemages together. Friends, comrades... we saved each other's lives, more than once." There had been something there, for a while, but they had both agreed that it wouldn't work out. "I met her best friend. Cirella. My wife. It was thanks to... that woman... that I met the love of my life." Argus cast his mind back, remembering that first meeting, Cirella's persistence, which had been so annoying at the time, and then so sweet...

"Our lives took different paths... she stayed in the battlemages, while I pursued academics. But we stayed... friends." Argus closed his eyes, remembering. "She was at my wedding. Cirella's maid of honor. Hell, I was at HER wedding. She was always visiting Cirella..." Argus shook his head. "And then Cirella died in the accident. And my old FRIEND was the FIRST to lay the blame on me." Argus shook again, in mingled rage and grief.

"That... woman... she must have broke into my home... she knew the place well enough. She presented evidence at my tribunal... some of which was outright FABRICATED, but was mixed in with real research reports, so no one would know the difference unless they bothered to look more closely. Which they didn't. Oh, there were others, but she was my friend..." Argus realized that he was babbling, and tried to calm himself. Goto was just one of those who brought him down. But...

"She betrayed me," Argus hissed. "With no warning, no reason, she betrayed me. And now, years later, I hear her name again..."