The Artifact of Absonial

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: The Artifact of Absonial

Post by Graybeard »

A plan was beginning to form in Sister Rose's head.

"Thank you," she told Argus. "Drusia, Kim, I really want you to go with me too. We have a side trip to make on the way to the base. I'll explain later. Now excuse me a minute."

She went back to her stateroom, and returned a moment later with a conspicuously magical package (and considerable relief that there were no blue-eyed, blond sailors around, as far as she could see). "Well, let's get on with it, and take this thing to the base."

Noting the puzzlement on Argus' face at what she was carrying, she fired him another mental message. <"Yes, this thing ... not the real Artifact. Much more appealing for someone to try to make a grab for, don't you think? Now let's get going.">

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus didn't reply, but sent her the magical equivalent of a nod. <"Good plan. I like where you're going with this."> Mentally, he began calling up a list of attack spells and defenses, just in case.

"I'm certainly ready for a nice walk," he cheerfully said aloud. A quick glance and nod from Rose told him that she understood what he meant by 'ready' perfectly. Amazing what those eyes could convey. Amazing...

Not the time to reflect on physical attributes, he told himself firmly.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Thank you," she told Argus. "Drusia, Kim, I really want you to go with me too. We have a side trip to make on the way to the base. I'll explain later. Now excuse me a minute."

I nod. "Of course," I say. I turn to Suriah. "Stay with Lillith until I get back. Maudin, Bryce; keep them safe."

While Rose gets the artifact, I get my equipment and a concealing mantle of human make to cover my features. I will be an anoynomous presence, ready to defend Rose from whatever survived that mountain - be it Kurou, or another Peregin.

When Rose comes back down, I silently fall into step behind her.

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

With the expedition ready to go, Sister Rose stopped at the gangplank (first making sure that none of the crew or guards were blond, blue-eyed, and of a certain physique, as indeed, none were) to explain her plan.

"I think I know what's going on here," she said, "and I want to draw the bad guys out -- bad guys as I see them, anyway. Argus and I will make a big show of taking this thing to the base." She smiled and patted the extravagantly "protected" container. "I think somebody is going to try to take it away from us. Drusia and Kim, I'd like you to follow us at a safe distance, and if you see something like that happen, don't worry about us unless we're seriously hurt. We'll have some defenses up, and be in public areas at all times, so I don't think that's likely. But we might get our pocket picked, so to speak. At least that's the way I expect it to go. The big thing is to let it get picked. If somebody steals the thing, tail them and see exactly where they're going ... although I think I know already."

Kim summoned the courage to interrupt, something she'd never have done two or three days earlier. "Should -- should we stop them?" she asked.

Rose shook her head. "No. This is about gathering information, not catching bad guys. They're too powerful for us to take on directly, but if I -- we can get proof of what they're up to, more powerful forces than our little group can deal with them. No, once we know what they're doing, we'll come back here, take some more counter measures -- and then carry out our duty." She left that "duty" vague. "Now Argus, you and I need to set up some magical defenses, just in case the bad guys play rougher than I expect. We move out in ten minutes."

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Aboard ship, Lillith was fretting. She was sure that Sister Rose and Argus were walking into danger. The fact they were doing it knowingly, and thus would be prepared for trouble was slightly reassuring was a little help, but it still left her quite concerned for someone she was rapidly beginning to consider a sort of mentor and someone she was only just beginning to come to know as family.

Beside her Brad patted her hand. "It'll be alright," he said, though there was a touch of concern for his cousin in his voice. "They know how to take care of themselves."

"I know," Lillith responded. She shook herself, then realized she and Brad weren't alone in being (wisely) left behind to fret. She turned to Suriah. "Suriah, would you like to learn a little more about your talents?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"We should probably start with an Iron Skin spell," Sister Rose mused to Argus. "You Tsuirakuan arch-mages might have something better --" there was a twinkle in her eye as she said it -- "but I think our own version should be good enough." She gestured and muttered, and there was a brief red glow around her body that seemed to sink into her flesh. "May I?"

Without waiting for a response, she cast again, but this time held a mildly surprised-looking Argus in a light, very discreet embrace as she did it. "Don't worry, it's only skin deep," she said as the glow came and went. "Shouldn't affect your shoulder. That didn't hurt a bit, did it?" She smiled ...

... And spoke mentally. <"Actually, I barely tweaked your skin at all, because I don't want to take any chances with your shoulder. But that wasn't for the protection; it was for the sake of anybody watching. Now, if you want to put some real protection on, I'd appreciate it ...">

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Thanks," Argus said, blushing slightly. It was all for the sake of cover, of course. Absolutely. Naturally. All for the sake of cover. Even if it did feel nice.

Taking a deep breath, Argus gestured covertly with his hands, placing a resiliency spell over Rose, as well as a few augmetics. <"Tricks I learned in the battlemages. Serves as a reinforced version of ironskin. The extra magics will also serve to grant you a bit more strength and agility, but don't rely on them too much. I'll do the same for myself, but if it comes to fireworks, even my defensive magic is.. less than subtle."> Reaching into a pocket, he pulled out a carved wooden charm and willed some magic into it. <"Take this too. I just enchanted it, and it should last for an hour or so before it needs recharging. I'll provide you with some deflection in case of attack, enough to turn aside a sword or energy bolt. Or a bullet. But again, the best defense is to be careful. But I'm sure you know that already.">

Although, in Argus' case,, the best defense was to shoot a spike through whatever was trying to kill him. It was a proven and true tactic.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Thanks," Sister Rose smiled back. "This shouldn't take more than an hour. I think we're ready. Let's go. Drusia, Kim, can you follow a minute or two behind us?"

She and Argus set off, but they hadn't gone more than a hundred yards when Rose took Argus' arm and stopped him. "No, I don't think we're going that way. Turn right here instead of going straight." She saw the puzzled look on his face; it was expected, since the naval base lay in front of them, while to their right was ...

She switched to mind-speech to explain. <"When you go fishing, it isn't sufficient just to have an attractive bait. You also have to go where the fish are. Let's go find us some fish on the way to the base, and dangle the bait in front of them.">

She turned down the road leading to the Millenarian temple.

----------

Back aboard the inn-ship, Bryce was getting a -- curious look from one of the security people.

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

<"Fair enough,"> Argus thought back, <"Let's just hope that the bait can handle the bite.">
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

<"Fair enough,"> Argus thought back, <"Let's just hope that the bait can handle the bite.">

"Not to worry," Sister Rose said, and gently patted Argus' hand, apparently unaware that she'd been doing that quite a lot lately. "We make a good team --" this with a smile -- "and besides, we have good backup. Just have faith."

Putting on her most self-confident face, she strode briskly toward the temple, where two young priests were working on the grounds. They wore caps, so she couldn't be sure whether they had blond hair, and they were too far away for her to divine their eye color; but as the pair approached, they looked up and ...

... Waved politely and went back to their gardening. And that was all.

Rose stopped in her tracks.

<"Hmmm,"> she mind-spoke to Argus. <"That was not the reaction I was expecting...">

----------

Back at the inn, Brad made a tremendous effort of will, and with the greatest reluctance, detached himself from Lillith and edged closer to Bryce.

"I don't like the way that sailor over there is looking at you," he whispered.