Farrel: Ladies' Day Out

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Farrel: Ladies' Day Out

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, new thread for Jamie and the group chasing her, with a title vague as to location, for reasons that will become clear. Besides, what would you call it? :D ]

Faye came puffing back to where Jade and Jasmine were waiting. "I don't like this," she said, "but letting that girl wander off by herself I like even less. Besides, the Tsuirakuan gates are as reliable as they can get, so here goes nothing..."

They stepped forward, and the distinctive WHSSSHHH of a warp gate echoed again through the woods.

When the magic dazzle cleared, however, they weren't looking at the expected landscape of Tsuiraku-town. Instead, they were in a clearing in a thicker, denser forest than where they'd started. Judging from the position of the sun, they might have been somewhere south of where they'd started. A low east-west mountain ridge rose behind them, and the forest sloped away to the north, with a path running through it.

One of the interesting features, Faye noted, was that they'd ported into a gate that wasn't disguised in any way, as the one at the shack had been, or even the second one in the clearing near it. If anybody found the presence of a gate like this in the wilds incongruous, the people who'd put it there didn't seem to care. Most likely that meant that anyone who actually used the thing would be on the same side as the people who installed it.

Faye took just a moment to digest the significance of that, then got back to the task at hand. "Well, let's get going," she said, angling for the path.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: Farrel: Ladies' Day Out

Post by Sareth »

Some distance ahead, Jamie was still booking it. She had been bewildered when she'd suddenly popped from Here to New Here without warning. However, the girl was nothing if not flexible, and so she had almost immediately started moving again, running down the path that presented itself.

After about fifteen minutes, she came to a sliding stop. "Woah woah woah... Hold on!" She stared at the path thoughtfully. Then she looked down at Nera. "So, I just popped through a warp gate that was disguised on my starting end, right?"

Nera giggled her agreement.

"But it wasn't disguised at all on this end, right?"

Nera waved her arms around to confirm this fact.

"Now I'm following the only path from this mystery gate to nowhere set up for secret purposes and disguised in the spot it could be found, right?"

Nera stilled, a thoughtful look on her face.

"I'm running towards something bad, aren't I?"

Nera filled her diaper noisily.

"Couldn't have said it better myself. Let's get off this path." Jamie stepped into the woods, then began carefully creeping forward, paralleling the path and watching for any signs of trouble. After a minute she crinkled her nose. "And get you changed. Phew! Didn't I just do this?"

Nera laughed.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Love the title btw. Just borrowing Jasmine for a line if you don't mind Sareth. Feel free to do the same for Jade when necessary guys./OOC

"Well, let's get going,"

"Hang on a sec."

Jade staggered over to a nearby bush and heaved, the meagre breakfast she'd choked down at The Mead and Drum came up in a technicolour wave and decorated the local foliage. Thankfully, Faye and Jasmine had the decency to take the time to take an interest in the local landscape. Jade coughed sharply.

"I bloody HATE warp gates."

"Are you ok?" It was Jasmine who asked the question.

"Yeah, I'm fine. The plants were grateful for it."

The blacksmith pulled a water flask from the belt on her hip and rinsed her mouth out, recovering enough to finally take in their surroundings.

"Anyone got any idea where in the seven hells we've gotten to?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC:
Jade wrote:"Anyone got any idea where in the seven hells we've gotten to?"
I'll let Sareth respond, but in fact, Jasmine has been here before -- and so has Jamie.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Jasmine's lips pursed. She looked around the clearing. "I think I know where we are. And if I'm right, it is NOT a good idea to be here. If the Tsuirakuans catch us, or Jamie... We'd better hurry."
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Jade nodded, no point in wasting any more time. She reattached the flask and the three took off at speed, following the lone path that led from the gate.

"Guess we'll just have to keep our eyes peeled for some signs of her progress." she panted as they ran. "I doubt she'd stick to the only path that leads away from the gate."
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Not if she has half a brain in her head," Jasmine replied. "I may not think much of many of her life choices, but I have to admit, she's kept herself alive and healthy. She knows when to be suspicious, at least. In fact..." Jasmine pointed to where the tracks suddenly stopped following the path. "Good girl."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Faye took half a dozen steps off the path, enough to have at least a little cover, but not so far as to lose contact with Jamie's tracks. Then she stopped and turned back to Jasmine.

"All right, you've got me on this one," she said. "I've never been here before ... so just where are we?"

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Jasmine sighed. "We're not far from the Waldhaxen Channel. Not long ago a few of us watched some sort of Tsuirakuan airship land and drop off troops. According to... one of the others, they were part of one of those research programs Tsuiraku doesn't actually have." She grimaced. "You know the kind. Since they don't exist, no one should be able to claim otherwise through eye witness statements?"
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Nicking Faye for a line to jog the story on a bit. Don't wanna stay lost in the woods for too long./OOC

Jade suddenly had a strong craving for a smoke to calm her nerves.

"So we are, in fact, now in the same area as a load of soldiers and guys constructing new and interesting ways of killing people? I reckon we should catch Jaime before our presense becomes known, or they find her, or she finds them, or any other horrendous possibility."

They set off into the woods, beginning the process of tracking the young woman in earnest. They kept their eyes peeled for the tell-tales signs of progress; crushed blades of grass here, broken branches there. Jade was no woodsman, but she'd made enough excursions into the forests near her hometown of Solshire on hunting trips to understand how to track a target. The blacksmith found herself wishing for a rabbit, since breakfast had vacated and lunch time was on the way. They pushed onwards.

A few minutes as they trekked through the dense undergrowth Jade's nostrils wrinkled.

"Urgh. You smell that?"

They found the source concealed under a particulary dense bush. Nera's diaper.

Faye nodded. "Looks like we're heading in the right direction."

The red-haired merc caught herself thinking about the kid Jaime had brought along with her, and then considered how much more dangerous a mother could be if they perceived their children to be under threat.

"I just hope your girl doesn't try to shoot us." she muttered to Jasmine.
Last edited by Jack Rothwell on August 25th, 2010, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.