The road to Snamish

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: The road to Snamish

Post by Sareth »

"Lordess," Lillith quipped in reply. She smiled and winked at Sister Rose. "Desiree would literally have been the embodiment of Anilis there. Mother has done the same thing." As Desiree stepped back over to retrieve her clothing, Lillith continued. "It's a ceremony to both celebrate and encourage fertility and the growth of the people. Their crops, their livestock, and the next generation." She laughed and looked around. "I suspect we'll find it to have worked rather well in a few months."
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus raised an eyebrow. "Interesting ritual," he commented simply. If he suspected correctly... yes, Harker was off to one side, scribbling furiously. By the weave, his familiar was getting so many ideas from this, the grin would be permanently frozen to his face.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Argus raised an eyebrow. "Interesting ritual," he commented simply. If he suspected correctly... yes, Harker was off to one side, scribbling furiously. By the weave, his familiar was getting so many ideas from this, the grin would be permanently frozen to his face.

Desiree followed Argus's gaze to the tiny beaver in overalls drawing. "Oh!" Desiree cried out. Her eyes intently on Harker she rushed over to him and looked intently at the drawing.

"That's wonderful!" she said, admiring the work. "Oh, do you do paintings? I'd love a finished version." She also took a good look at Harker. He was so cute! She'd never see anything like him before, although she'd heard stories about familiars.

-- Desiree

Edit: OOC: I left the "quote" tags in. Didn't even notice until now.
Last edited by Drusia on January 18th, 2011, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"He's never going to want to leave," Lillith murmured. "Wait... does that mean I'll have to take care of him?" She looked horrified at the thought.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Many, many years later, when she was old, Sister Rose would finally make a confession regarding that night at Snamish:

When she put her hand to her mouth in apparent shock, she was mainly doing it to make sure she didn't use her hand for what she really wanted to do when she saw Desiree and her partner ... which was to unbutton Argus' shirt.

She breathed a silent prayer of thanksgiving for Lillith's humorous asides, for two reasons. First, it was evidence that the girl was getting more comfortable with Snamish, and that was good; Rose had grown quite fond of her, and honestly hoped that Snamish would become the kind of home she'd never had during her time on the road -- or, possibly, long before. And if it meant settling in with Brad, all the better. Rose's cousin continued to look far more comfortable than she could possibly imagine he would under the circumstances; Luminosita alone knew what was on his mind. Of course, he was continuing to be the perfect gentleman with this girl of his dreams; he just wasn't as -- well, abashed, at their situation as he'd been only a few hours earlier, when they first met Desiree. That, too, had to be good. (Didn't it?)

Second, and more selfishly, the digression gave her time to get her own composure back. The mood of the ceremony was ... compelling. She'd known ever since her first trip to Snamish, as a newlywed, that there was a certain -- romance to the place, but never having been here for a festival before, she'd underestimated its power. There would be no more underestimating it now.

She cleared her throat. "I think we should walk down to the lake, Argus. After all that time on the road, I could really use a little peace and fertili -- tranquility." Hopefully, the light would be too weak for him to see her blushing...

-------------

The scruffy man was making good time through the farm country. The roads were all but empty, and the few travelers that he did meet were more than happy to give him a wide berth. The ability to project a silent, anonymous, noli me tangere menace was a useful skill in a Wraith, and he'd had occasion to develop it well.

So far, so good, he thought as the horse plodded forward. With some luck I'll get to those mountains in time for a little shuteye at the side of the road ... before the hard work starts.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"I don't think you'll have to worry, Lillith," Argus chuckled. "Once he's had his muse, Harker will need to take his show on the road. Sharing his gift, if you will." Harker would probably want to come back from time to time, though... which would give him an excuse to come and check up on Lillith. Tucking this thought away, he turned to Rose, pretending not to notice her slip. "I agree," he said with a smile. "It's a little too... energetic... up here right now for my tastes."

As for Harker, he happily turned to Desiree. "Why, certainly, ma'am. How large would you like the painting and how many copies? Maximum detail I'm assuming; I'm not too good at abstract. I also do woodcuts and carvings; wood preferably, but given time I can also work several types of stone..."

"Please let's hurry," Argus muttered to Rose.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Please, let's hurry."

"Very well, then," Sister Rose said, and without further ado, once again took Argus' arm -- all in the interest of steering him toward the lake, of course.

The Lucas house wasn't exactly on the way to the lake, but it was close enough that a detour past its front wouldn't be out of line. Rose was a little nervous about what they'd see and hear as they approached -- I may have to be peacemaker between Alia and her father, if I was reading the dinner right -- and so she was quite obviously relieved to see Benedict sitting on the porch, puffing his large pipe with a relaxed look on his face. That was good, very good. Apparently the father/daughter "conversation" hadn't been as confrontational as it had looked like it might be. She contented herself with a wave, getting one back in return, and continued to the lake.

The scene there, however, wasn't as tranquil as she remembered it. To their right, a raucous party was going on, with more than one partier wearing considerably less clothing than they'd been wearing at the square. To their left was a long strand of beach where she'd spent many a peaceful evening with Kenny, talking, cuddling, being in love ... But the couples lining the strand now were expressing their love, or at least their passion, in a considerably more physical way.

At least the far side of the lake still looked peaceful. Rose and Argus exchanged looks, and then they headed on around the shore, skirting the party; that looked like the quicker route to peace and quiet. A few minutes later, they were installed on a sand bar jutting out into the lake, and there they sat, the full moon at their back...

... And Rose decided to voice a realization she'd been coming to ever since she saw Desiree's first dance.

"You know, as much as I love Kenny's relatives, and as nice as the setting is in so many ways, this festival is making it clear to me that I'm not of this town any more."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

As for Harker, he happily turned to Desiree. "Why, certainly, ma'am. How large would you like the painting and how many copies? Maximum detail I'm assuming; I'm not too good at abstract. I also do woodcuts and carvings; wood preferably, but given time I can also work several types of stone..."

Desiree blinked. "Um, just the one copy for me. Oh, but my mother might want a statue comissioned for the temple. You'd have to talk to her about that though."

Desiree thought for a moment about the options presented to her. "I like realism, so that's fine. And a painting, not a carving - I don't have that much room to work with. Let's see, maybe... three feet tall?" A look of concern passed over her face. "How expensive would something like that be? I'm sure I could manage with something smaller..."

Oh, or maybe mother would help pay for it. "Do you have some sort of price per size chart or... something?" Desiree asked hopefully.

-- Desiree
Last edited by Drusia on January 20th, 2011, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

The scene there, however, wasn't as tranquil as she remembered it. To their right, a raucous party was going on, with more than one partier wearing considerably less clothing than they'd been wearing at the square. To their left was a long strand of beach where she'd spent many a peaceful evening with Kenny, talking, cuddling, being in love ... But the couples lining the strand now were expressing their love, or at least their passion, in a considerably more physical way.

At least the far side of the lake still looked peaceful. Rose and Argus exchanged looks, and then they headed on around the shore, skirting the party; that looked like the quicker route to peace and quiet.

I watch with mild amusement as Rose and Argus bypass the party in favor of a more secluded spot. I sincerly hope that they tear one another's clothes off and make wild love, but I think that might be a bit optimistic on my part. Still, one can hope.

Still smiling, I return my attention to Suriah. I ease her from her remaining clothes, setting them aside, next to mine. I wrap my arms around her, holding her against me, skin to skin, my chin resting on her shoulder as we both watch the orgry that's broken out around us. I don't do anything more than hold her - yet.

What happens next is up to her.

-- Drusia
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus looked at Rose with compassion. "...I think I can understand," he said quietly. "Cirella's in-laws probably wouldn't welcome my presence anymore. You, at least, still have a connection with Benedict and his family... but I suppose a lot of that feels in the past." He glanced over the water. "Yes. I can understand what you mean all too well." Silence again. "Will you ever return here?"

*********************************************************************************************************************

Harker considered carefully. "I'll definitely have to consult with your mother on that statue thing... excellent idea... and the dimensions you quoted are definitely something I can work with. As for price..." Harker suddenly snapped his fingers. "Here's a thought. I was deeply impressed with your performance earlier. Excellent work there. Would you consider modeling a few positions for me? I rarely get a live model to work with, and I think it can help me iron out a few flaws in my technique. In exchange, I'd give you a huge price-break on the painting. How about it?"

Harker was in his element, no two ways about it.