Snamish

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Snamish

Post by Drusia »

"It's about Desiree, isn't it?"

Drusia paused for just a moment - how had Rose known? Or was she referring to the events of yesterday? If the later, then it wasn't an issue.

"Yes," Drusia agreed, "It has come to my attention that my daughter has some unresolved issues that may be best addressed on your travels. She also has some concerns that I believe you could help her with. My daughter is less than keen on leaving Snamish, and for good reason, but I think it's for the best - and I can think of no one she would be safer with than yourself."

Drusia shrugged. "I have business that requires I stay here for a time, so my daughter will be without a guardian. For that reason, I wanted to ask you to look after her, as you've looked after Lillith. Is that something you are willing to do?"

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I have business that requires I stay here for a time, so my daughter will be without a guardian. For that reason, I wanted to ask you to look after her, as you've looked after Lillith. Is that something you are willing to do?"

Well,
thought Sister Rose, that's a first. This time I'm not adopting a stray -- if anything, I'm creating one. But oh, well, why not ...

"Certainly," she said. "She's family, after all." She smiled just slightly, enough to pose the question of whether she was being serious or ironic, but not enough to answer it. "Besides, one can learn from others of good will, even if they're in a different religion than one's own." That part was sincere enough, as was the caveat that she thought it necessary to raise. "I think you, and she, should be aware, though, that when we get to Umbertiel, we're going to be dealing with some people whose views are not so ... I guess I'd say 'eclectic.' I hope that isn't a problem?"

Frankly, if it's not, you're doing a lot better than I am, or at least than I expect to be, she thought as they headed back toward breakfast.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

[OOC]Just more filler/political maundering on Tsuiraku and kind of moving things along.[/OOC]

"Tsuiraku isn't going to take over the world, is it?"

Bryce's tone wasn't that of someone who was apprehensive. It was the tone of someone who had come to a conclusion. He was looking at the windows across the table from them with an introspective expression on his face, brow slightly furrowed, one arm around Maduin.

"Under the current prevailing attitudes, no." Maduin shrugged. "For a Tsuirakuan, Tsuiraku is the center of the world, and everything revolves around it. We find the rest of the world to be of mild interest at best, as a tool to be used to increase our political prestige at home at worst. Or as a base to launch their return from exile in the case of expatriates," he added after a moment. "The Mage-Priest war is a prime example. It wasn't started because we wanted to conquer Veracia. It was begun by a mage looking to increase his own personal power by stealing from Luminosita to attain a higher position in Tsuirakuan hierarchy."

Bryce pursed his lips. "That's frightening in it's own way." He smiled after a moment. "How about you, as a Tsuirakuan? How do you see the rest of the world? As a part of civil society?"

"I didn't even notice it until I realized that Tsuiraku really wasn'tthe center of my world - that I'd have to go elsewhere to find the one thing it never offered me." Maduin folded his arms. "But yes, I believe everyone has a right to a life."

"Did you find it?"

"Hmm?" Maduin glanced at Bryce quizzically.

"Did you find the thing you were looking for?" Bryce asked.

Maduin smiled back at him, and said nothing.
Last edited by Porcelain Fish on April 26th, 2011, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"It sounds like a very different place," Lillith responded. "I mean, a place where the most important thing to life is figuring out how to get ahead socially? it's quite different than what I'm used to." She shook her head and reached out for more fruit, seeming to feel a bit better for the distraction. "I hope we don't have to go there. Although it would be nice to meet..." She broke off and shook her head before taking a bite of food.
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin laughed gaily. "Oh Lillith dear, we're not quite so policentric a society as all that. Zhou-Zian, the Game of Houses, is justifiably regarded as a sport reserved for the powerful elite and the eccentrically wealthy and their close cohorts. The majority of us regard such past-times as seeing whose ridiculously elevated and overpaid tea-server can pour the most gracefully, who can pay the most for a gown of exotic fabric in whatever the garish mode of the day is, and whose house-lights can blink in the quickest, most complex patterns as something of a spectator sport."

His eyebrows rose slightly. "Granted, those competitions can occasionally turn painfully personal, and the same gala that raises ridiculous sums for charity may be the public stage one uses to humiliate a rival. Things can degenerate further, but that's uncommon, and it's considered in poor taste and the mark of an unskilled player to involve the innocent and society at large in such proceedings. The game changes. Finesse is prized over force, efficiency over excess, not the least because lack of subtlety is likely to elicit painful reprisals, even exile, and the less people involved in a conspiracy, the better as they say."

His smile faded. "Once in a great while those rivalries become bitterly cruel, but that is extremely rare." Maduin pointedly avoided looking at Argus. "Sometimes the undeserving are . . . caught up - but we have a saying." His expression became enigmatic for a moment, hazel eyes dark beneath his pale brown curls. "The shape of Tsuiraku is a wheel."

He winked at Lillith, smile returning. "But really, the city is a lovely place. I think you'd find the city gardens delightful. Hu-Lang Park is a horticultural paradise." His expression turned faintly nostalgic. "The public transit system is hygienic and efficient, no necessity for animal labor - the streets are clean, and even the poorest homes have at least one golem to deal with basic household chores. It's considered a sign of status to be able to retain human help, but most people opt for the cost-efficient assistance of automata that will never call in sick, don't need a salary or days off, and as far as maintenance you only have to schedule a housecall from a golemancer every six months to a year. Brute physical labor is a thing of the past." He chuckled. "I do think you would like it, my dear. I'd very much like to introduce you." To much more suitable prospective husbands than your current waste of breathable air, he finished privately to himself.

Lillith was a Cleiviein after all. It was only suitable that she be matched with someone of appropriate station. Maduin smiled at her, and he planned.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose got back to the house just in time for the end of Maduin's monologue, to which she listened with mild interest. Somehow Tsuirakushiti just didn't sound like her kind of place. Of course, she wasn't as magic-phobic as most of her countrymen; Veracian clergy represented most of the country's magical talent, after all, and her own ... skills ... might even have fit in better on the floating city than in Emerylon. But somehow, it all sounded so, well, antiseptic.

Still, if Argus wanted to go there, now that his exile might be ending ... with her ... Stop that.

She turned to the unexpected guest at the breakfast table. "Desiree, your mother says you might be interested in traveling with us for a while." (That wasn't exactly what Drusia had said, but it would probably work better this way, Rose thought.) "We'd love to have you, and I think we could find many things to talk about. But I have to warn you: this expedition could be a little -- uncomfortable. And maybe even dangerous." She waited for the priestess' response, watching Argus out of the corner of her eye.

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus was silent, lost in thought. Maduin's words had started a stream of recollection and... he had to admit... nostalgia.

Tsuiraku was one hell of a city, he had to admit, although after years away, he doubted if he really wanted to go back to having a golem do EVERYTHING... but on the other hand, it had allowed his family to deal with other, more important matters. Yes, the city was convenient, and beautiful... but he wondered sometimes if the saturation of magical convenience sometimes worked against the inhabitants, made them lazy. After years without, he had a far more jaded view than Maduin's gushing praise.

As the the great game... well, he knew the rules. It was unavoidable after a while. But he had known enough to keep himself firmly outside of the arena, and left the fops to their parties. Cirella was far more adept in those circles, and she carefully disengaged them from any difficulties with ambitious socialites, skillfully redirecting such toward those more willing to duel. Argus' technique had always been more blunt: a stony warning to stay the hell away from him and not waste his time with such nonsense. It rarely went over well. That was why Cirella had usually handled it.

Evidently, Argus had finally stepped on too many toes, and someone had taken the opportunity when it presented itself.

No, Argus was a tad more cynical when it came to how 'wonderful' Tsuirakushiti was. Still... the city still held some nostalgia for him.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"Certainly," she said. "She's family, after all." She smiled just slightly, enough to pose the question of whether she was being serious or ironic, but not enough to answer it. "Besides, one can learn from others of good will, even if they're in a different religion than one's own." That part was sincere enough, as was the caveat that she thought it necessary to raise. "I think you, and she, should be aware, though, that when we get to Umbertiel, we're going to be dealing with some people whose views are not so ... I guess I'd say 'eclectic.' I hope that isn't a problem?"

"I don't expect so," Drusia replied. Rose nodded and headed back inside; Drusia headed off to see to the arrangements. She quietly hoped that it wouldn't be a problem, but if it was, she had confidence that her daughter knew what to do.

-- Drusia

Elsewhere.

I stare at my things, wondering how I'm supposed to just pack up and leave. Where do I put... everything? I frown and try to sort my clothes again, but really, how is this even a practical idea? How will I prevent wrinkles in my clothes without a wardrobe to hang them in? What about my supplies? Won't that candleabera be rather heavy to lug around?

I sit down on my bed and stare at my things some more. How did I let this happen?

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: D, would you prefer to prefer that that last overture I made with Rose, to fill Desiree in on what she's getting into, didn't happen (i.e., is retconned away), or happened before Desiree's internal soliloquy, or after, or what? Your call. Anyway, another thing needs to be done, so:]

"Well, let's get ready to go," Sister Rose said once she was back at the table, hoping she wasn't interrupting too much soul-searching. By now she'd come to recognize the look on Argus' face, Lillith obviously had something on her own mind, so did Maduin, and even Brad was uncharacteristically contemplative at the prospect of moving on. Might a moment of mock seriousness lighten the mood? It seemed worth a try.

"So," she said, "let's prepare for a meeting with two unknown and vaguely terrifying quantities. I'll have to deal with them, but with luck, nobody else will have to. So then, onward, to Umbertiel and the nominally menacing, but actually rather innocuous, Father Gaetan, and the unknown, but undoubtedly frightening and definitely not cheese-like, Sister Bree...

"What?" she interrupted herself, seeing a reaction to that second name coming from a most unexpected direction.

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Graybeard wrote:[OOC: D, would you prefer to prefer that that last overture I made with Rose, to fill Desiree in on what she's getting into, didn't happen (i.e., is retconned away), or happened before Desiree's internal soliloquy, or after, or what? Your call. Anyway, another thing needs to be done, so:]
OOC: ^^;; I didn't even notice that. Sorry. Um, how about a minor retcon to make it "the harried new arrival at the dinner table" thus implying that she just showed up?

IC: "We'd love to have you, and I think we could find many things to talk about. But I have to warn you: this expedition could be a little -- uncomfortable. And maybe even dangerous."

"Yes, so I understand," I reply. I don't add that I don't so much want to accompany them as have been told to - a less pleasant way to spend the next several months I can't imagine.

"Well, let's get ready to go," Sister Rose said.

I open my mouth to ask what I'm going to need, but Rose continues on about some people - apparently they are unpleasant? - so I shut it again. She seems to think it's a joke, but I have no idea what she's talking about. I smile anyway, to be nice, and wonder if it's entirely inapproprate to ask someone to help me with my bag. I don't think I can lift it on my own.

-- Desiree