The road to Getsemiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: The road to Getsemiel

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"A guest." Eli replied, fighting the urge to smirk at the old man's archaic form of speech. "Father Arpad gave my wife and I lodgings for the night before we depart the city." He rummaged through his mind for an appropriate way to proceed. "I was hoping to liberate some breakfast if that isn't presumptious. It's been a long time since dinner."
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Awakened by the first morning bell, Brother Timothy performed morning prayers a little stiffly, asked after Rose, shouldered his pack, and walked to the inn. On the way out, he saw Eli, and nodded in acknolwedgement. He had his doubts about this haughty stranger, but he was planning to make the effort to get along with this entire squad of travelers, if they'd let him. Besides, he looked cheerful this morning after a night with his wife, and she is his wife, so don't even think about it, and it was easy to smile at someone in that state.

Despite his short night's sleep, Brother Timothy gained energy as he walked. At first his head was spinning with the last night's events and bits and pieces of his hasty reading, but in the morning sunshine he cleared his head, and felt better. He waved a few hellos at townsfolk he knew. That braced him up a little. He was fine by the time he got to the inn. The sight of the wagon gave him some relief - in packing, he'd assumed he'd have to carry everything on his shoulder, and this could make the days' walking much lighter. He gave a friendly greeting to Sister Rose and Brother Brad, and was ready to let her take the lead as to where and when they'd hear the message.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli smiled at Brother Timothy as he walked past. It felt at least semi-natural, Desiree had had a way of cooling a temper like his which sat so close to the surface. Being on the road finally had helped as well, the half-elf could feel decades of stress draining away in the face of changing locations and well-meaning, if sometimes eccentric, travelling companions.

He made his way back to the room he shared with the Priestess with a pair full bowls and lightness in his step. Moments later he sat, perched on the bed and putting a gentle hand on the sleeping beauty's shoulder.

"Rise and shine, your Priestlyness." He intoned. "Breakfast's arrived."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Gonna take the liberty of waking Argus up here, for the sake of forward motion. Warning, this will be a bit long, but important ...]

"Good morning," Sister Rose smiled at the young priest as he approached. She wasn't exactly a morning person, but years of serving the Church had inured her to the habit of getting up earlier than she wanted to. Besides, this Brother TImothy seemed like a nice enough fellow, not fossilized in the ways of the old fogeys of the Orthodox Church, and he'd had a rough day yesterday ...

Pleasantries exchanged, they went into the inn, to find Argus groggily staring at breakfast. "I trust you slept well?" she smiled at him, too, and the three ate in silence for a bit. Rose even managed to liberate a cracker for the parrot ... and then it was down to business. "I think we'd better step outside for this," she said. "Nobody but the three of us are supposed to hear what it has to say. Brother Tim, I'll explain this odd little bird later." They stepped outside just as Brad was coming in from his prayers, drawn to Lillith as a moth to a flame, and found a place to settle comfortably as the bird started to recite.

(UNCLASSIFIED/OFFICIAL USE ONLY} Hope you slept well. Here is the promised second message with orders. I assume you have arranged to take them in private; as I said last night, only Dr. Cleiviein and Brother Timothy are authorized to hear them at this time. By the way, Brother Timothy is also a commissioned officer in the reserves; you can trust him. That's the good news. The bad news is that I'm afraid you're not going to like these orders very much, and I apologize for giving you them. I owe you for this one.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) Events of yesterday have stirred up a crapstorm in Xanadu, the likes of which I've rarely seen in twenty years of active duty. I don't know all the details, but needless to say, the Cardinal Inquisitor is roaring mad about the death of Sister Bree. I'm happy to say, however, that that isn't your problem. The abbot in Umbertiel is going to be out of commission for a while, which leaves things there in the hands of his assistant, Father Arpad. If you haven't met him, introduce yourself before you leave; he's reputed to be a good man, trying to do what's right, and the Church is entrusting him with the investigation of Bree's demise.
(Should I tell him we have the diary? Rose wondered, then decided against it, at least for the moment; the man would have enough on his mind for a while.)

(UNCLASSIFIED) Now here comes the part you're not going to like, and once again, I apologize sincerely for putting you through it.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) They have their knickers in a knot at the Pleasure Dome over Bree, but they are really in an uproar over whatever happened to Father Blaise. Don't quote me on this, I'm reading between the lines, but apparently Blaise is a very senior guy who normally has nothing to do with the Cardinal Inquisitor, in fact, is in semi-retirement. He pulled some strings to get onto this mission, for reasons that the Powers That Be are very curious about. That's causing an investigation running all the way to the Patriarch's office, and once again, it isn't your problem.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) What is your problem, however, is that they want Blaise found, and they're sending you to find him.
(Rose swore mentally. Wasn't the mission to find the late Father Egbert painful enough?) It has been established that the wagon that brought him and Bree to Umbertiel was destroyed in the fire at the stables, and one of the horses was killed. The other one, however, has not been found. It is assumed that he absconded with it; there is forensic evidence to that effect that we're not privy to here, and presumably, you aren't either. Furthermore, and most important, there was a semi-reliable report of a sighting late last night of a man resembling Blaise ... and now comes the bad part.

(LUMINOSITA'S SECRET) You are to proceed to the town where this sighting occurred and take all necessary steps to find Father Blaise and return him to Emerylon. You are authorized to use any and all measures to detain him, short of killing him; the Patriarch definitely wants him alive. Please proceed at once to Getsemiel, where the temple priest will ...

There was more, but Rose didn't hear it, as her world spun on its axis. Spots swam in front of her eyes, she grew light-headed, she wobbled visibly in her seat.

Getsemiel.

The place where Kenny died.

[OOC: If Argus and Tim are in any condition to hear it, here's the rest of the message, spoilered for brevity, but Rose's mind is very definitely elsewhere... /OOC:]
Spoiler: show
... meet you and extend his full hospitality; he has been notified to expect a high-level party of visitors. It was a novice at that temple who is sure he saw Blaise, and you should plan to interview him. What happens from that point is up to you, but again, your orders are clear: put this man in the bag and get him back to Emerylon. Logistics support for that part of things will be arranged. Be warned, however: that temple, the biggest temple in town, is Calfornican, meaning that this young man who "saw" Blaise is himself a Calfornican, with all that that implies. (If Rose had been listening, she'd have rolled her eyes at this declaration, indeed would have done everything possible to talk Bernie out of wasting their time chasing after the novice; Calfornicans were prone to what one might euphemistically call "mystic visions" ... But her boss had anticipated this objection.) By all accounts, he wasn't under the, well, influence of Calfornican rites when this all happened, and it's the only credible report we have. The temple priest, a Father Arnold, has been made aware of the general shape of the mission, but will not be joining you himself. From what I've heard of the man, that's probably just as well.

(UNCLASSIFIED) I know this is going to be painful for you, and I apologize for causing that pain. However, this is super-important, and you're a lot closer to the ground than we are. I promise that when this furball is over, we'll get out of your hair for a while and let you relax with Dr. Cleiviein. Good hunting, and may Luminosita's Peace go with you -- seriously.

Bernie

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

He made his way back to the room he shared with the Priestess with a pair full bowls and lightness in his step. Moments later he sat, perched on the bed and putting a gentle hand on the sleeping beauty's shoulder.

"Rise and shine, your Priestlyness." He intoned. "Breakfast's arrived."

"Mmm?" I ask, blinking. Oh. Eli brought food. I smile and sit up, letting the sheets fall away from my upper body to pool across my legs.

"Thank you," I tell him. Seeing no where else to sit, I slide over, giving him room to put the tray between us so we can both use it.

I'm quite hungry from yesterday - between the excitement and the spellcasting and the evening's activities, I'm fair famished. I eat in peacable silence, enjoying the food.

-- Desiree

OOC: Oh, I nearly forgot to say - yes, Desiree is blond. Her hair is slightly wavy, and falls about her shoulders and down her back like a cascade of molten gold. ^^
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus blinked at the end of the message. A few things got through to him. For one, what did he mean about Rose relaxing with him? Second, it sounded like Blaise's disappearance had put someone into a panic. This made Argus wonder, and not for the first time, just what exactly the deal was with Father Blaise.

But it was the apologetic tone of the message that got to him. That it would be very painful for Rose.

He looked up to ask about it, only for his voice to die in his throat. Rose's gaze was miles away, rooted in a face that had gone pale and tense. Whatever this Getsemiel place was, just the very mention of it had been enough to rock her. Argus grimly suspected that he knew why.

"Rose?" he inquired gently, "Are you alright?"
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli paused between mouthfuls of porridge to stretch the kink out of his back with a satisfying cracking noise. He resumed his meal like a man facing a famine.

"I'll be glad to quit this town." He said. "I hope you slept well, Desiree, we'll have miles to go today if our luck has anything to do with it. Of course it might take us a while to leave with our company numbers expanding so suddenly." He added meaningfully.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Hmmm, so my milita rank counts as reserve as well? His mind wandered for just a moment, but then he remembered that the captain/mayor had indeed said something about getting "recognition" -- some process involving sending paper back and forth with Emerylon -- and maybe that's what it was about. The regulars didn't seem to have much respect for militia rank. How they felt about reservists, he didn' t know, but he preferred to operate on his status as a priest anyway. Soon, now, he would be away from his own familiar town, and he suspected that his own status within this group would drop. Well, no time to worry about that. At least the higher-ups recognized Father Arpad's worth.

Someone had shot at Blaise and burned up his carriage, for reasons Tim couldn't begin to fathom, and in less than a day he'd made it to this other town and been seen, but hadn't made a report to the hierarchy. Why anyone that senior would do that, and why anyone else so urgently needed an expedition to go find him, were things beyond Tim's ken. Especially if he was nearly retired. Hadn't he delivered his report? If not, why not send him one of these beautiful birds, let him rattle off the news, and then let him go where he pleased? Well, that wasn't something to be figured out. They'd just have to find him and ask him.

Californists...he didn't know much about them. Even when he'd gone off to school, that was one sect he'd never met. Rumor was they didn't go in much for study.

Meantime, he listened to the rest of this fascinating bird's message. When it was through, Rose seemed preoccupied with something, and Argus seemed preoccupied with her, so he paid some more attention to the bird. It seemed like a friendly creature. It'd liked the cracker Rose offered, so he experimented a little and found it liked some of the dried fruit he'd packed for the trip as well, plus a drink of water. When it turned its head and winked, he turned his the same way and winked with the same eye. It turned back his way and blinked with both, and he did the same. They played this game for a little while.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Lillith came out of the inn just as Brad was coming in. He took the pack she'd slung over her shoulder from her with a smile and a chaste kiss to her cheek. He turned and carried the pack to the wagon and settled it inside.

"Have you had a chance to show Rose the statue yet?" Lillith asked after helping see that the pack was secured.

"Not yet. I had my morning prayers to do. Besides, she was supposed to get a parrot this morning. I thought it best to wait."

"That makes sense." Lillith glanced over to where the trio were standing. "It looks like they're listening now. They look tense."

"That's not good. Should we go over and see what's going on?" Brad chewed his lip.

"I'm not sure. What would happen if we interrupted the parrot?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Alberich wrote:Meantime, he listened to the rest of this fascinating bird's message. When it was through, Rose seemed preoccupied with something, and Argus seemed preoccupied with her, so he paid some more attention to the bird. It seemed like a friendly creature. It'd liked the cracker Rose offered, so he experimented a little and found it liked some of the dried fruit he'd packed for the trip as well, plus a drink of water. When it turned its head and winked, he turned his the same way and winked with the same eye. It turned back his way and blinked with both, and he did the same. They played this game for a little while.
And then, abruptly and without any fuss, the bird dropped dead. [OOC: Seriously. More about this shortly. /OOC:]

Meanwhile, Sister Rose was still reeling from her orders, when as though at a great distance, she heard Argus' words. "Are you alright?"

Whether it was this consoling inquiry, or the startled look on Brother Timothy's face as the parrot died, that brought her back to reality, was a question that Rose would debate with herself for a long time. She turned first to Argus. "Yes, yes, I'm all right ... sort of. More or less." (She knew better, but Argus didn't really need to share her pain right now, did he?) Then she turned to the younger man and tried to muster a smile, not succeeding very well. "I should have warned you: when one of these parrots is bringing a classified message, as soon as it delivers it, it just automatically dies. Security feature, you see ..."

----------

Brad saw the parrot keel over too, just as he was about to answer Lillith's question. "I don't think we have to worry about that any more," he said, rather unnecessarily. "Let's go see what's up."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.