The road to Getsemiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Re: The road to Getsemiel

Post by Drannin »

Argus shrugged. "I can probably make some crude shelters myself, if worst comes to worst... that's a nasty storm brewing... but let's get as far as we can before then. We may get lucky, you never know." Except that luck was in short supply on this trip, it seemed.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Timothy treated Rose's last suggestion as a joke. She didn't seem like the kind of leader who'd really suggest such a cowardly act, or that he was capable of it. He nodded, said "I'm with you," and began to walk with her back to the wagon.

And before he forgot - "Thank you." He didn't elaborate, but he knew she'd understand. It really had been generous of her to tell so much, and he was determined not to abuse her confidence. In fact, he liked her style of leadership very well so far, and whatever her sect, he could see himself being glad to stop an arrow for her.

"There is one other thing...that maybe you can answer," he said. "Those things you were telling Argus about the, ah, factions in the Orthodox. Is there any pattern there as to those who died? I don't know anything about the factions you mentioned, but I'm sure that whatever they were, Sister Bree and Bishop Cyrus thought along pretty similar lines." They weren't "liberal" with anything except bad temper. "I mean, it could always be someone else provides the motive and he just provides the means...though I suppose that's just guessing." And dangerous guessing to do in public - but he had already decided that Rose could be trusted. And Argus was here, but obviously he was in her confidence too, so that was all right.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I'm with you."

"Thank you," said Sister Rose, meaning it. The Orthodox troops I had up at Albigenish ... well, I'll just say they were unreliable sometimes. In fairness, they had reason to be scared -- Luminosita's Nethers, I had reason to be scared. But this one ... he has backbone. "Let's get moving before the storm hits."

The horses serviced, the wagon went in motion again. However, they'd only been on the road for a few minutes when there was an ominous crack of thunder from the direction of the ridge line. "Stormie?" Rose said to Argus, her wink indicating she wasn't serious. (Probably.) "We'd better wait this one out."

[OOC: Thereby giving another opportunity for people to do stuff. Or shall we just fast-forward to the camp? They're not going to make it to town tonight.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Sorry about that, he just... something about him just bothers me. I want to yell at him for... no real reason. And then I said something stupid and had to cover it up and... I'm just glad that's overwith."

Eli interlaced his fingers with the Priestess' and smiled at her.

"Don't worry about it." He whispered back. "I'm beginning to think that humans rule the world now because they kept asking questions until everyone else told them all their secrets or just gave up and left them alone."
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

As the wagon started up and rolled along, Timothy once again was lost in thought. An hour later he spoke up suddenly.

"Desiree," he said. "Or anyone, really. I think you know more healing than I do. I've been thinking about Bishop Cyrus - and the way he was running along - and then his heart just gave out. And you could revive him and I could help, but it left him weak and all. No one anticipated that" - no one had ever suggested he had a heart at all - "but what if someone did? I mean, if you saw someone who was a likely candidate, in a situation where his heart might stop - is there a way for a healer to, I don't know, strengthen his heartbeat so it wouldn't stop at all?"

He was halfway to blushing already - he suspected that she understood her art far better than he did his, and that the question was naive. But he had his reasons for asking.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Don't worry about it." He whispered back. "I'm beginning to think that humans rule the world now because they kept asking questions until everyone else told them all their secrets or just gave up and left them alone."

I blink. That sounds... familiar.

"Did I ever tell you my theory about humans?" I ask softly. It's not sometihng I talk about much in Snamish as... well, I'm not sure how my mother would take it. I talked with Lillith a bit, but I'm not sure she really understood me. Then again, she doesn't know elven culture that well - not like I do. Or Eli. To her it probably sounded all normal and rational.

To someone who knows about the Errant War...

-- Desiree

OOC: I honestly can't remember if she and Eli have talked about this before. ^^;;
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"is there a way for a healer to, I don't know, strengthen his heartbeat so it wouldn't stop at all?"

Now what's that all about?
Sister Rose wondered. Desiree seemed preoccupied with Eli -- that seemed to be happening a lot lately -- so she decided to answer her colleague herself, after taking a moment to remember what she'd learned about healing magic in the seminary, a long time ago. "Not that I've ever heard of," she said. "The problem with a heart attack isn't keeping the heart beating, it's keeping the heart supplied with blood so that it doesn't die. Making the beat stronger wouldn't help with that. Out of curiosity, why do you ask?"

Brother Timothy didn't have time to answer, however, before lightning flashed alarmingly close to the road, and thunder crashed only a second or two later. "Uh, oh," Rose said. "We're going to have to wait this one out. The road gets too exposed for safety up above. Into the trees, everybody." Lightning crackled again as it began to rain.

Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin was quick on his feet and quickly into his luggage, extracting his large paisely umbrella before the drops had begun to fall in earnest and following Rose's directions without wasting a moment.

Bryce took it from him with an amused twinkle in his eye and opened it above them just as the drenching downpour really started to hit. Bryce's palomino stallion, apparently reasoning that at least having its head dry was better than nothing, promptly crowded the remaining space, and Maduin murmured absent nonsense to it as he stroked the big animal's velvety nose.

He was painfully aware of the last time he'd been out in a thunderstorm, and just as determined to think about it as little as possible.

"Talk about a sluicer." Bryce grinned as he looked out into the thick shower. "Shouldn't last more than ten or fifteen minutes though. These usually move on pretty quickly."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Right," Sister Rose affirmed, as another bolt of lightning struck nearby, leaving the party's ears ringing with the thunderclap. "Half an hour, an hour at the most. We just need to wait it out."

Actually, it looked like this little clearing had been used for this purpose before. There were small campfire rings, and debris from previous travelers was strewn about. Rose clucked her tongue disapprovingly. She'd always found the mountains beautiful, even the lower ones like this coastal range. How could her countrymen leave their trash all over such an attractive place?

Interesting, though: some of the debris hadn't had time to become waterlogged in the storms that formed over these mountains about half of the days during rainy season. There'd been recent travelers at this spot, maybe as recent as today or yesterday. Had there been mountain thunderstorms yesterday? She couldn't remember, but it hadn't been too long since there had been; surely the weather system that produced the storms at Bishop's Cap, while they were dealing with the frightening Wilbur Hamael, would have produced similar activity here. Idly, she started to pick up some papers that were only now being soaked by the downpour that was starting ...

Oh, my. "Come look at this!"

What she was holding in her hand, as others arrived, was a paper bearing a small image, and the face on it, though a bit blurry, was unmistakably that of ...

... Maduin.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Lillith spoke quietly, barely being heard over the sound of the storm that was soaking everyone (except Bryce and Maduin). "I don't see any words on it. Do the other papers say anything about why someone is circulating pictures of Maduin? This could be more of what we encountered in town."

At that moment yet another bolt of lightning shook the area, coloring it with the weird light and shadow only it could produce. Before anyone could answer, Lillith darted back to the horses, doing her best to keep them calm. Brad quickly pursued, giving her aid in the endeavor.