The road to Getsemiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: The road to Getsemiel

Post by Graybeard »

"I don't know," Sister Rose answered, concern on her face. "I'm still trying to figure that out. Maybe --"

Unexpectedly, Brad interrupted. "Sweetheart, remember what that boy said," he said, putting a hand on Lillith's arm. "'Tsoo-rakyan devil. I be figurin' that be makin' him a demon, right?' He didn't know his uncle was fighting a demon; he knew he was looking to fight a Tsuirakuan. Ronnie put the 'demon' spin on it himself."

At this, Brad almost melted with pride at the look he was receiving -- not (only) from the love of his life, but from his cousin. Brad surprises me sometimes, Rose thought. Lillith is having some very unexpected positive influences on him ... She picked up the thread. "So 'Shemmy' was looking for a Tsuirakuan," she repeated. Then she frowned. "In which case his coming here was not a coincidence. He'd tracked either Maduin or Argus to here. I don't like the sound of that at all, but I can't see any alternative. Surely there can't be any other Tsuirakuans wandering around out here, can there? In Saus, and maybe even in Lorenzel, but --"

Brad astonished her by interrupting again. "Rose, you forget, there was one other. The one that was snooping on the archaeological dig. The one that Drusia tried to kill, but he almost killed her instead. His name was Kurou, wasn't it?"

Now that was a startling thought. Rose subsided to think.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Next door to nothing." Eli replied frankly, putting the final touches on his own outfit. "I figured it wasn't my place to pry about the affairs of other people." He studied the seriousness of her face. "Why? Is there something you'd like to talk about?"

"Yes, actually," I say softly. "I -" Before I can continue, there's a knock at the door. It seems it's time to leave. I grab my things and Eli and I rejoin the others and head out.

I glance around at the mixed company. "Later," I say softly to Eli, "We can talk about it when things are less crowded."

-- Desiree

OOC: Sorry for the short post, just saw that we got husseled outside - will try to catch up tomorrow. ^^;;
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Brother Timothy didn't think much of Rose's theory - if Blaise was so powerful, why would he need something as cheap as a stables fire to cover his tracks? Tim himself could disappear with more finesse than that, even though he was well-known in these parts.

At first he continued to believe that collateral damage from a strike on Shemmy was more likely. Shemmy has the "statue" (Tim thought of it as the Coward's Crossbow); Shemmy shoots into Blaise's room; Shemmy dies in a stable fire he could easily have escaped from, if he'd been alive. Stable fire accomplishes nothing; horses escape and are easily recaptured. If Blaise was all that powerful, maybe he was strong enough to return fire as Brad couldn't. That would explain why the fire spread: If Blaise could strike back without seeing where his opponent was, he might not even know that his retribution had caused a fire.

Then a second thought occurred to him. How could Shemmy have died in the fire, if he'd been alive trying to blame Maduin for the fire? He thought back carefully on what the boy had said, as related by Lillith and Brad. Shemmy had been killed by a "burning beam" in the stable while he was saving Ronnie himself. So the fire must've started before Shemmy ran in. In fact, on the sound of it, Shemmy's death was a pure accident - he barely had time to start a rumor that Maduin was at fault before running in to save the boy. (There was no need to give credence to Ronnie's talk of "demons" that dropped the beam on his head. He didn't see them; the other boys gave fairy-tale pictures of glowing eyes and horns; you didn't need to believe a word of that to see how a burning beam could fall on a man and knock him out.)

Then again, that wasn't entirely incompatible with his theory. If Shemmy had just been firing bolts into Blaise's room, he must've had a hidden location to do it from, perhaps the stables themselves. Especially if the Coward's Crossbow had limited range, you'd need a hidden place by the temple that could be accessed by the public. The temple stables fit the bill. If Blaise's return fire set the stables ablaze, Shemmy might well have run off to place the blame on Maduin - might even have believed that it was Maduin shooting back at him. The maybe he'd run back to fight the fire, and run in when he saw Ronnie was there. The timing was tight but it might work. It was too much conjecture for Tim anyway.

He did not choose to voice his concerns. He'd given his idea already. It might be that Rose was covering for one of his new companions, or it might be that Rose had other information, information she didn't want anyone else to know she had, and preferred to have them think she was leading them with brilliant flashes of insight. Arguing the point would accomplish nothing.

Anyway, it was no matter. Their orders were to find Blaise, so they were going to do that.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"It sounds like there was some sort of complex conspiracy to burn down that barn," I murmur to Eli. I frown. "Seems like a lot of effort to go through for a barn." I feel like I'm missing something. Oh well - all this political stuff with the church doesn't really have anything to do with me.

I glance over at Brother Timothy, who appears to be lost in thought.

I turn back to Eli. "We should probably tell him we aren't actually married before someone else does," I tell him.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I really wish I knew where this thing came from," Sister Rose said to nobody in particular as she fingered the figurine. "I think it would tell us a lot about just what happened at that stable. Unfortunately, I'm just not good enough at magical forensics to learn much from it." She grimaced. "I really wish Brother Miguel was still here, he's good at that kind of thing." Wait a minute. "Hmmm ... Argus, you're the master of earth magic; what can you find out about it?"

Without waiting for an answer, she handed the small statue to her traveling companion, in the process noticing Eli and Desiree whispering to each other. She smiled softly as the half-elf priestess looked up at her. "So," she said, "did you and -- your husband sleep well?" [OOC: There's your setup line, to use, not use or abuse as you see fit. ;) ]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]I'm sorry, but I just can't resist.[/OOC]

Lillith's head spun around. "Husband. You're married? When did that happen?"
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli looked around at Lilith's question, feeling the situation beginning to run away from him and not for the first time either.

"Cover" He mouthed at her.

OOC Short posts today only i'm afraid./OOC
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Timothy's eyes went up for only a moment - they'd claimed to be newlyweds and, if Lillith hadn't known, they were new to it indeed. But then if they were heathens, they may not have much in the way of marital customs - maybe they swapped vows between cheese and dessert, and that was that.

Or was Lillith, the most kindhearted of these half-elves, trying to inform him of something? His pulse went faster. It's all the same to you. Keep your mouth shut. He looked down again and tried to think on the mission, but his ears stayed open. Don't even listen. He listened.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Um... Oops."
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

One of Tim's eyes rolled over Lillith's way. Was that a puckish grin on her face? It doesn't matter, you fool. Stay out of it! His eyes went back down. At least for now, when you're right in front of everyone. Let's see, could Rose have had a point about Blaise? Stop listening to them. He listened some more.