Getsemiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Getsemiel

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, picking up the next morning...]

"Why don't you go on back to bed?" Sister Rose urged Eli as the first glimmer of dawn appeared over the mountains. "Things seem pretty peaceful here, just as we expected. Plus," she added with a smile that (she hoped) stopped short of being a leer, "somebody's waiting for you there." For which I envy the both of you.

It looked like it was going to be a beautiful morning, she reflected as she stirred the embers of the fire. The night had been cool, but not cold, and crystal clear; now there was just a hint of morning mist out in the valley, reflecting the moonlight, but it would burn off quickly in the sun's light. Might the strangely homicidal woman be approaching through that mist? Rose didn't really think so. She'd checked with Argus and a rather drowsy Brad when they swapped shifts on watch, and there'd been not a single sign of movement along the road out on the plains, as far as they could see. That made sense; even murderous maniacs had to sleep.

Human ones, anyway.

The time alone was conducive to introspection. She was aware that she owed Bernie a parrot, and quietly padded over to the wagon to fetch one to prepare. But what to say? I've managed to get the whole party scared of an -- she groped for a word, found it -- "avatar" of an elven death god. Or an inanimate manifestation of one, or just a lethally scary thought, or maybe the death god himself, we're not sure yet. Oh, yes, that would go over well. Or: Since Brother Timothy joined us, we've had one encounter with a mythical monster that wasn't so mythical, according to Tim and Desiree; one bit of violence breaking out in the party, that Brad stopped by doing something that bordered on sacrilege; and a night visitor who says that a madwoman is coming after us, loaded for bear, and intending to kill the most inoffensive member of our party ... but other than that, things are going fine. She emitted a brief, barking, humorless laugh. Yeah, right.

She was still grappling with the question of what message could possibly make sense, when Lillith emerged from the tent, preparing to do her own morning rituals by the growing light of dawn.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Re: Getsemiel

Post by Alberich »

The ingrained habit of years woke Tim for morning prayers. In a moment's rush of realization, he remembered where he was -- not only away from home, but away from his usual routines, for the first time in a year. Mobilized, in a tent full of strangers. Right after a day of fearsome encounters - monsters - naked women - swordfighting in earnest - with hints of deadlier to come!

The ingrained habit of years could go hang. He went back to sleep.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Eventually, Sister Rose decided on a rather bland, innocuous message to send back north. It just wasn't clear yet what was going on, and the last thing she wanted to do was start another brouhaha based on incomplete information, as had almost happened with the OCRAP negotiations. Besides, the time saved in launching the bird would give her a few extra minutes for something else she wanted to do before the group reached Getsemiel. I just hope Lillith and Desiree aren't freaked out by this ... so to speak.

It was getting light enough now that Rose could see the space around her, and it was just as beautiful as she'd remembered from last night; and more importantly, as verdant. The mountain thunderstorms in the summer, and snowfall in the winter, produced enough moisture for things to grow as though Luminosita Himself was tending the garden, she thought. She inspected the ground, rapidly finding what she was looking for, and then the air got that blurry sensation as her green eyes glowed with shape-shifting magic -- just a little bit, but that should be enough.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

"Rose, what are you doing? I've never seen you inspecting flowers and grass before." Lillith was still siting in the grass a short bit away. Evidently her morning ritual was finished, but only just. "Are you looking for a four leaf clover? And if you find one, can I see it? We didn't have any clover back home."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Are you looking for a four leaf clover? And if you find one, can I see it? We didn't have any clover back home."

"Not exactly," Rose said, a playful note in her voice. She straightened and turned to face Lillith, being rewarded with precisely the wide-eyed, open-mouthed facial expression she'd been expecting.

She'd made just a couple of adjustments to her body and outfit with the shape-shifting, nothing extreme, although anyone traveling with her recently would notice. Her hair had been lightened a shade toward blond and lengthened ever so slightly, she appeared just a bit taller and younger, her nun's robe had been modified to look a bit more, well, secular. But the major change was in her hair.

Laced through her reddish-blond tresses were wildflowers -- a veritable crown of purples and reds and yellows and whites, as might be worn by Mother Nature personified.

Rose grinned as Lillith blinked. "Hey, this is all very functional, really," she said. "The branch of our church that we'll be dealing with in Getsemiel are, I guess I'd say, nature lovers, and this is like what their nuns wear. So I thought I'd try to put them at ease when we roll into town. Like the old proverb says, when in Romiel, do what the Romians do ... Now let's see if we can find you a four-leaf clover."

Before she started the search, however, she asked a question she'd been thinking about, hoping to keep her voice casual. "Do you think your father will like it?"

Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

Maduin's eyes fluttered open as Bryce's lips brushed his cheek, and he smiled sleepily, admiring the handsome lines of the red-headed soldier's face.

Bryce grinned back. "No nightmares last night?" His tone was more smug masculine satisfaction than inquiry.

Maduin lifted his head enough to kiss him lightly on the lips. "Not a one, just dreams of the most amazing man."

Bryce's eyebrows rose, grin turning playful. "Do I know him?"

Maduin half-shrugged and gave him a wink. "You might have seen him around. He's about six foot six, dark copper red hair, really muscular, gorgeous face that's just starting to get a little scruffy, beautiful green eyes." He ran one finger down the edge of Bryce's jaw, light stubble whispering under his touch. "Very generously endowed."

Bryce's expression turned mock-pensive. "I think I do know this guy. He's kind of a trouble-maker. Kinda handsy, and a little mouthy too."

"I like it." Maduin kissed him again. "He's very sweet."

"Mmmm." Bryce kissed him back this time, much longer and deeper, one hand threading through Maduin's light brown hair. "Only in the right company. I'm gonna go for a run, maybe rustle up some breakfast. Be back in a half-hour."

Shirtless, in trousers and boots, Bryce emerged from the tent just in time to hear "Do you think your father will like it?", his gaze going to where Lillith and Rose sat not far apart in the grass.

He half-started to glance back at the tent, and then settled for a wave in the ladies' direction and broke into a brisk jog, headed towards the road.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus was dreaming.

It was an odd dream, and rather unlike him. It involved Rose, and giant parrots. Then it went in a stranger, rather more vivid direction involving whipped cream, mechanical devices, and a very elaborate hat.

Argus' eyes shot open. What...the...hell... Still, blinking in confusion, he suddenly noticed Harker crouched beside him, apparently having been whispering things in his ear while in the depths of sleep.

"...What are you doing Harker?"

Harker gave Argus a surly look. "Trying to speed things up. Now hurry up and get outta bed." The beaver padded away.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli slipped into bed next to Desiree and wrapped his arms around her with an affection which was quickly becoming familiar. He reflected on how natural it felt, and how surprisingly quickly that feeling had surfaced in the short time they'd been on the road. He kissed the edge of her ear and closed his eyes.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Eli slipped into bed next to Desiree and wrapped his arms around her with an affection which was quickly becoming familiar. He reflected on how natural it felt, and how surprisingly quickly that feeling had surfaced in the short time they'd been on the road. He kissed the edge of her ear and closed his eyes.

"Mmm," I say softly, not opening my eyes, "Tell me it isn't time to get up yet." I hope it isn't - I'd rather stay like this for a bit.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

To Sister Rose's disappointment, it wasn't Argus who was next out of the tent, to see her -- new (if temporary) look, but rather her cousin. Well, he'll have to come out eventually ...

At least Brad's open-mouthed reaction was satisfying in a sense. "Rose? Is that you?"

"Of course it is, silly," she answered with a smile. "Who else would it be? I just thought things would work better in Getsemiel if I looked more like one of the Calfornican nuns."

"Calfornicans," Brad repeated. "I don't think I've ever met one, but the stories I've heard..." He managed to combine the two rather dissimilar expressions of a shudder on the one hand, and a rolling of eyes on the other. "I guess that makes sense. I just wasn't expecting it, is all. First I saw you, I wondered if it was that crazy woman that they said is after either Argus or Maduin."

Rose wasn't sure whether to take offense at that or not, but either way, Brad looked concerned. "Not to worry," she said. "There's been no traffic on the road all night. Well, just Bryce," she corrected herself as the large soldier jogged past them, heading down the road for his morning run. "We have time to prepare for that unwelcome traveler. Now go say your prayers, and when you're done, help me with breakfast." Maybe Argus would be up by then.

----------

Rose's assessment would have been right if all possible traffic, and all forms of transportation, were confined to the road. However, that wasn't necessarily the case.

The woman beside the Gornch lizard wasn't really sleeping, any more than the huge lizard itself was. She'd dozed, fitfully, as it had carried her toward the mountains during the night, making its own inscrutable way through the fields and then the forest. It certainly wouldn't have taken the road; they didn't have roads in the wilds of the Southern Continent where it had been hatched, and primitive instincts had told it to keep out of the road here, even though it was twice the size of any predator in Veracia and had nothing to worry about from them, to put it mildly. The down side of the cross-country travel, though, was that the howdah on its back had lurched uncomfortably as it plodded along, keeping its occupant from sleeping on the road.

Well, it wouldn't matter; she could sleep after she'd killed the Tsuirakuan devil. The one who'd killed her brother.

[OOC: Extra credit if you recognize the "Gornch lizard" reference. The beast has been described once before in Errant Road, here -- but the origin of the term extends far back before Errant Story ever existed. Anybody want to take a crack at it?]