Getsemiel

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Getsemiel

Post by Graybeard »

Eli's question (how had he got to the cove so quickly?) jolted Sister Rose out of her doldrums. He's right, she thought. Even if we can't catch up to Blaise, we should do everything possible to learn where he's going and why. But how? I have no idea how to repurpose one of the parrots -- Luminosita's Nethers, it shouldn't even be posslble to, that would be an unacceptable security risk. Besides, the boat is moving as fast as they fly anyway, even with their enhancements. How does it do that? I've never seen the like. An unsettling thought occurred to her. That couldn't have been ... dwarven technology, could it? Because we sure don't have anything that can do that. She became aware that Eli was looking at her, expecting a response. "I haven't the slightest idea how to do anything like that," she confessed. "Sorry."

She turned to Argus, the image of that giant wedding canopy still in her head. Stop. Reset. Get back to business. "As regards Blaise's behavior, good points," she said. "At least we probably don't have anything to fear from him any more." She produced another of the brief, humorless laughs that she'd been emitting too often recently. "The way things have been going lately, that's a good thing. I think we may have to accept that we've lost this round and try to make the best of it. We should conduct a thorough search of this place and see if Blaise left anything behind. First, there are other things we have to do. Lillith, your animal skills would be helpful here -- we need to get the horses back in working order, that or abandon the wagon. Can you do that? Argus and I can help you with that, and then get the wagon back working too. Eli, why don't you go take care of Desiree, then the two of you can fetch Tim and Brad and join us back here for some fact gathering. Once we've given the place a good going-over, I'll have to send word back via parrot."

And then what? she asked herself, but was glad to have at least a little respite before taking that one on.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Eli and Desiree wouldn't have to walk far to fetch Tim, as he was puffing up as best he could on foot.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli met brother Tim on his way to the beach with a nod, the look on the half-elf's face told the story even if the now-absent Father didn't.

"It's a bust." He said flatly. "No Father, no means of pursuit, no way of keeping an eye on him either."
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"That's how it looked from where I was," said Tim. "If Argus can make rocks fly to build a tower, do you think he could tie me to a rock, and send me up with a spyglass to see which way they're going? Or someone lighter, like Harker?"
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli briefly entertained the idea of having Tim flying high into the sky supported by nothing but a rock and length of string.

There was a certain charm to the idea.

He kept his face expressionless.

"Might be worth a try." He said levelly, and then yelling to the subject of their discussion. "Hey Argus! Can you fly one of us up with that magic of yours?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"No need," Brad said from behind Eli and Tim, quite surprising both. "It went that way." He pointed southwest.

Fielding incredulous stares from both men [OOC: and presumably also Desiree, if she's present -- your call as to where she is, D -- /OOC], he felt obliged to explain. "I woke up and saw you weren't there," he said to Tim. "I decided to stay and look around, to figure out where you'd gone, it's a lot easier to see from up there. While I was doing it, I saw that weird walking boat go tearing off into the open ocean, going south. It was way out there, but it makes a big wave for such a little boat, because it goes so fast I think." His eyes flitted from face to face, and his own face got a stricken look. "Did I screw up again? Is Lillith all right?"

----------

Sister Rose was relieved. The horses weren't badly injured, and she, Argus and Lillith were able to get the wagon upright again. At least they weren't going to be marooned out here ... not that there was much left to menace them if they were, from the look of it.

A few minutes later -- they'd been so close -- the three were standing again at the shores of Frobish Bay. "Well, I guess we'd better get on with it," she said uncomfortably. "Anything we can find here might help. Magical forensics, checking the spirits, just plain old beachcombing, anything that tells us why Blaise was running, and where he's running to. Anything we find might be valuable."

She was going to say more, but she suddenly realized something. Those are the exact words, apart from the Blaise part, that I used ... back then. Pain showed in her face as she continued, also with words she'd spoken before.

"Just be careful. For Luminosita's sake, be careful."

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Did I screw up again? Is Lillith all right?"

"She's fine." Eli said offhandedly, more interested in Brad's observations than his comically endearing love for his woman. He turned and pointed south to where the construct had fled. "What's in that direction? What's the nearest port?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"What's in that direction? What's the nearest port?"

Brad looked perplexed for a moment as he searched his memory. Then: "You should ask my cousin. She's traveled a lot more than I have. But I think it's open sea, all the way to Farrel." The perplexity deepened. "But why would someone from way up in our church be going there? Or even beyond, to Tsuiraku? Because he'd have to go around the south end of Farrel to get there. I don't understand."

-----------
Spoiler: show
Keyes could have answered that question for him: they were going to Tsuiraku because those were the orders he'd been given. And as for the south end of Farrel, well, they were going to have to refuel somewhere. After all, it was a big ocean...

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Graybeard wrote:[OOC: and presumably also Desiree, if she's present -- your call as to where she is, D -- /OOC]
OOC: Nope, she was back by the carriage. Desiree just missed pretty much all the action. Not really her forte anyway.

IC:

I stand and watch as the others get the wagon righted. I would sit, but my butt still hurts from before. I'm going to have a collection of bruises.

But I'm alive. That's something. Everyone else seems to be very upset about the guy escaping. Part of me is glad he did - how many of us would he have killed before someone dropped him? Would Eli be dead now? Would Lillith? Or would she be a grass widow, mourning Brad? I imagine Rose would have survived - she seems to be good at that. Like my mother.

They're discussing how to track the man. I frown.

I step over by Rose and try to keep my voice low so that only she hears me.

"I know this man is important to your church," I tell her, "But didn't we have an investigation to conduct here at the site?" Weren't we here to learn more about Kenny's death? I may have heard more of the story, but I thought the reason I was sent along was to bring answers back that my mother didn't already have.

-- Desiree
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

After righting the wagon with Rose and Argus, Lillith had begun reloading all of the things that had tumbled out of the back of it. Most of them seemed just fine though their had been one or two bits of breakage caused by the simple expedient of being sudden recipients of leverage and the wagon's weight. These Lillith had set aside for later repair or disposal, depending on the eventual prognosis.

As she hoisted her own pack back into the wagon (with a quick check of the contents) the girl suddenly cocked her head to the side. She froze for a moment, then lowered the pack slowly and carefully into the wagon. A few glances toward her got the response of a shushing gesture from one finger, and then the girl turned and looked towards the beach. Her eyes closed and the only movement was the slow rise and fall of her chest. Abruptly she began walking softly off, disappearing around a jut of rocks obscuring part of the nearby beach from view.

Moments later, even as Brad asked if she was alright Lillith returned to view, leading an unfamiliar horse still wearing a saddle and bags by the reigns. She was quietly murmuring to the horse, a hand gently resting on the animal's nose as she led it. "It appears that he didn't take everything with him when he left," she said, walking up to the group. "This fellow may not tell us any stories, but those bags might."