Getsemiel, part 2

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Getsemiel, part 2

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, merge-fu coming. I've left it open-ended just who's going with Rose and who's heading in a different direction, so proceed as you see fit ...]

Sister Rose cocked an eyebrow in Maduin's general direction. "This isn't really a visit to Lorrel's tourist attractions," she reproved him gently. "I somehow doubt that those are the places where we're likely to find Blaise." She turned back to the man from the temple. "Which doesn't mean I know where the chances will be better. Do you have any leads? Any guesses as to where he might be going?"

Brother Conrad shook his head and pointed to a side street. "Not a clue. The tavern where Brother Norris died is about a block that way, almost right on the way to the temple. Maybe someone there was paying attention." The group headed for the bar, which had a sign out front proclaiming it the "Southern Star."

Inside was a surprise. "Over there," Conrad pointed again. "She was the last one to see your man. He was trying to heal poor Norris magically, and she was helping. I didn't expect her to still be here."

I just bet he was trying to heal the poor man, Rose thought sourly, but the thought passed as soon as she saw where the priest was pointing. She blinked, blinked again. "I -- don't recognize her," she finally got out. "She's a --"

"Kobold," the priest finished her sentence. "From the Southern Continent, I think. She's part of a traveling magic show, if I understand correctly. Sister, I've been wondering -- what is our church's position on her kind?"

Very good question, thought Rose. Truthfully, the church probably didn't have one. There had been missionaries to the Southern Continent, obviously; Brother Miguel was evidence of that, not to mention the mysterious, sinister man they were seeking. In all likelihood, though, they'd gone there trying to bring the human inhabitants of the land to Luminosita, without even being aware that -- near-humans even existed, at least at first. She'd heard rumors of "catgirls" from down south, but had never seen one until now. "Can we talk to her?"

The priest shrugged. "I suppose. She's friendly enough."

That was all Rose needed to hear. Pausing for a moment to put on her Empathy magic, she stepped over to where Tamina was nursing a beer. "May I join you?" she smiled quietly.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Eli departed the airship without a backward glance and a promise to meet back the groupafter he'd paid his uncle a visit. The half-elf cut through unfamiliar streets, asking for directions in a manner which made him painfully aware of his tourist status. The hat pressed reassuringly down on his head, giving a small comfort of hiding his species. If the old man wasn't around... well... there were worse places to go than a pub to pass the time.

Since all that Luminosan stuff gives me the creeps, I tag along with Eli. Rose seems to think that this place is fairly safe for half-elves, but Eli inists that we wear our hats. That's fine, I guess - I like my hat well enough. I have to admit, though, that I'm a little curious to see if the rumors about other half-elves here is true. Maybe there are ways to be safe without always having to hide...?

Eli's been a little... tight lipped about this whole uncle thing. I'm not sure why. Maybe he's worried he won't be able to find him, and doesn't want to raise his hopes too high? That's the only thing I can think of.

Also, while I didn't want anything to do with church business, it's a little awkward for me to be meeting Eli's relatives. He and I have a rather... fluid relationship, and I'm not sure how well others not raised in Snamish would take it. Eli is... a little more possessive than I first realized. I wonder if it's a trait from this side of his family.

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

-- Desiree
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina turned at the sound of the voice, following the path of her oversized ear which had pivoted towards her, and beheld the pretty nun with a toothy smile.

"Oh hi... hi hi." She said in cheerful tones, flapping one hand in a wave and using the other to tip the half-empty glass to her mouth. A thought occured to her in a lightbulb flash. "Are you... umm... with the peoples from before? Friends with the... ah... sick man?"
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus sat down on the other side of Rose, regarding the girl curiously. Or woman, he should say. He'd heard of the kobolds, of course, they were something of a fetish in Tsuiraku. Never to his taste, though. It was his first time meeting one, however.

"Sick man?" he asked, curious.

Out of the corner of his eye, Argus noticed Harker staring at the kobold woman as though mesmerized. That wasn't going to end well...
Porcelain Fish
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Porcelain Fish »

"Fascinating!" Maduin exclaimed as he caught sight of Tamina, immediately presenting himself with a small bow. "And I mean that in the best possible light. I'm Maduin Lochlear, of Tsuiraku, and may I simply say that it's a genuine pleasure to make your acquaintance. I've read about your people, but to actually encounter you in person is an absolute genuine treat." He studied her with very apparent interest. "Please, may I buy you another drink?"

Bryce was regarding the "kobold" with rather less effusive interest in his expression, obviously wary.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Sick man?"

"Very sick. He died. Couldn't help him." Tamina replied to Argus, and suddenly stopped, stock still at the sight of the overall wearing beaver standing near him (OOC is that right? Overalls?/OOC)).

"Please, may I buy you another drink?"

Maduin's generous offer fell on deaf, furry ears as the kobold clambered off her stool, still staring back at Harker. She brought her clenched hands up to her face and made a noise that started almost too low to hear.

"eeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

Tamina broke into a squeal and launched herself at the familiar, catching him under the arms, lifting and swinging him around in the tradition of the best hollywood movies. She crushed the surprised beaver in a hug.

"Ooooooh! You're so cute! Si la killikah? Ackra keesh?* 'Nother species from the southern continent? Oh..."

It suddenly dawned on Tamina that she was breaking a few social rules that Jaime had warned her about. She, reluctantly, put Harker down with an embarassed noise.

"Sorry." She muttered. "Got carried away..."

*-Are you of sisterhood (kobold community)? Another tribe?
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

(OOC: Basically. Harker wears a hodgepodge with a lot of pockets. Overalls, vest with pants, coveralls, however you want to describe it)

Argus blinked, startled, then coughed. "Ah, no prob-"

"It's no problem at all," Harker asserted, in a voice so firm that it silenced Argus immediately. "I am in no way offended." He stared at Tamina, right in her eyes. "My name is Harker, and I am an artist. And I would like to draw you. These are some samples of my work." With a flurry of motion, Harker produced a handful of carving and sketches and showed them to Tamina. They were, Argus noted, 'safe' sketches, rather unlike his usual products.

Harker had a plan. He was face-to-face with an honest-to-weave CATGIRL, and he was damned well going to make the most of it, even if it meant going slowly at first. And heavens help anything that stood in his way.

"Please?" he added after a moment.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Udo scowled at bit at these newcomers. The first one to talk was one of those Veracian god nuts, accompanied by a couple more of them. Laughable sad creatures they were. Yet there were two of his countrymen with them, following the nun - converts? Diplomats? He didn't know. Violence wasn't going to be the answer though. He didn't have his staff or even his medals with him, just a stick and a knife or two, and while of course his whole body was a weapon and he could take them if he had to...that one guy was awful big. And they might be influential. Diplomatic. International incident, sort of thing. No, this had to stay peaceful. His jaws gripped tighter as the younger Tsuirakuan started offering drinks to Tamina...well, of course he'd find a kobold alluring, but now it looked as if he'd have to fight off rivals. One way or another. His jaws unclenched as she lavished her attentions on the cute little familiar. That thing wasn't any kind of rivals for a girl's attentions. Thus did Udo misread the situation about as far as he could. He shifted to the others' table and said, "Good evening!" Then he caught a view of Harker's sketches. "Hey!" - he was surprised - "That looks like...Naraja!" He took a piece. "Do you know Cats in the Cloister?" -- he himself had only borrowed it once, but it had helped him through a lonely weekend....

[OOC: Drannin - up to you whether Harker's actually published in the little world of naughty illustrated thaumo-fiction, pseudonymously or otherwise.]

Brother Tim kept quiet a little longer. He was hoping this strange social scene would move to the part where somebody said which way Blaise went so they could get after him. He couldn't relax here, and turned his chair to watch away from the group, in case something odd was happening behind.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

It would be fair to say that Sister Rose thought the situation was spiraling just slightly out of control.

"Um, so does that mean you don't know where the man who helped you try to heal the dead man went?" she asked Tamina, but it didn't look like the kobold was listening. Quite the contrary, in fact: Rose's Empathy made it definitely, emphatically clear that Tamina's emotional state was scattered like leaves in the wind, but for some inexplicable reason, she was homing in on -- Harker. This couldn't end well.

A bystander took pity. "Uh, ma'am, the man you're lookin' for took off for the middle o' town like a troll was after 'im. Nobody paid partic'lar attention to where he went after that. Town center's that-a-way." He pointed.

Rose rolled her eyes and thanked the man, then sat back to watch the show; nothing was going to get done until the circus settled down, so she might as well get some entertainment out of this...

-----------

"They's half-elf freaks, ain't they?" one scruffy man watching Eli and Desiree asked the other.

"Looks so," the other man said. "Should we bag 'em?"

The first man thought. "Naw. 'T'other half-elf freak ain't with the mark, Elke sez. She sez he's as pezzled 'bout where the mark is at as we is."

"Still," the second man said, "they ain't from 'round these parts. Sincet we don't know where th' mark is, an' he ain't from around here neither, mebbe we oughter foller 'em, might learn sumpin'." The first man considered, nodded agreement, and tried to make himself inconspicuous as they followed the two Snamishites.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"This is the place." Eli declared, as the pair approached a door which marked the entrance to a warehouse. "At least it should be. It's been years since he wrote to us." He raised his hand to knock and hesitated. He rallied, chiding himself for nervousness and rapped on the door.

A moment later a panel slid back to reveal a gnarled pair of eyes which stared at the travelers with mild contempt. They shifted first to Eli, then to Desiree standing at his side.

"Hookers are two doors down." A gruff voice said, and the panel slid shut.

Eli flushed red and doubled his efforts, hammering on the door with the flat of his hand until it opened again.

"Yes?"

"We're here to see Mr Haverum, you fucking yokel. Now open up or I'll kick the damn door down."

The eyes narrowed, then relaxed. An easy chuckle emanated through the open panel.

"You always did lack of a sense of humour, Eli."

The door opened to reveal a smiling half-elf. He appeared middle-aged, a shock of white hair framing his lined face that fairly danced with good humour. An observer would've immediately noticed the similarity between the two men. They had the same eyes, mouth, height; they could've passed for father and son.

"Telan." Eli said, although not without a trace of a smile. The older man opened his arms in a welcoming gesture.

"The prodigal son finally pays me a visit!" He crushed the half-elf in a hug. "Come in, the pair of you! You look like you've been on the road for month."

"My name is Harker, and I am an artist. And I would like to draw you. These are some samples of my work. Please?"

"Do you know Cats in the Cloister?"

Tamina stared at the pictures Harker had given her, turning them first sideways, then upsidedown to see if the different angles gave her any new insight.

"Pretty." She commented. "But, umm... yeah. Gonna be busy soon. Got a magic show to do." She looked at Udo, her sometime travelling companion, and winked. "Secret sneaky stuff to do too, looking for a bad man, got to make him 'splode. Oh!" The last sylabble came out at a volume that made nearby patrons jump. "Should come to the show! Be fun!"