Goriel and beyond, part 6

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Goriel and beyond, part 6

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Oops. Minor left turn required because of something happening in another thread right now, the consequences of which I had failed to think through. The off-line conversation between Argus and Kitaura will not occur as a result. To try to reset:]

"That sounds right," Therese said softly to Tim. "I don't know what's going on here, but we have done nothing wrong. We should keep an eye on them, as they keep an eye on us, but restraint seems proper."

In the event, however, the watchful waiting didn't last long. She was perusing a placard on one of the statues, proclaiming it a shrine to a Major Murphiel who had heroically given his life for Luminosita to single-handedly destroy a Tsuirakuan airship, when she became aware of a faint but distinct alarm chime from somewhere in the direction of the three watchers. One of them reached into a pocket, extracted a glowing crystal ball (earning suspicious looks from some of the people in the memorial), studied it for a moment, and swore in Tsuirakuan. The three men got that abstracted look of people communicating by telepathy, and then all three departed from the memorial at a dead run, heading in the direction of the Tsuirakuan consulate.

Therese frowned. "Anybody want to guess what that was all about?" she asked the party members as she squinted out into the bright daylight, trying to follow the departure of the trio.

--------------

"Ah, there you are," Brother Merton said as Sister Rose and Argus returned to the cloister. "Our -- Tsuirakuan colleague sends his regrets that he will be unable to meet with you, and asks that I give you this." He handed Argus an envelope positively redolent of magic.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"Anybody want to guess what that was all about?"

"No," said Tim and Anfisa in unison. Then they grinned at each other for a moment.

"Let's just enjoy the day," added Tim. "If they find out about it, they'll hate it."

"Like when your lover jilts you," said Anfisa absently. "You're supposed to get revenge by being happy..."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Therese listened to the by-play and frowned. "Go ahead. I'll be right back."

She returned ten minutes later. It hadn't been too difficult to track the fleeing trio, between the ruffled pedestrians who were huffing about their rapid passage, and a bit of magical direction finding. (It was fortunate, she thought, that crystal balls weren't in widespread use in Saus.) She didn't follow them all the way to their destination, but there was only one place they could be going, and it clarified what they were all about.

"Tsuirakuans," she told the others when she got back to the memorial, drawing a startled -- indeed anxious -- glance from the other tourists in the atrium.

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus frowned. "Now that's odd... what could all this be about?" Curious, he opened the envelope.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Anybody want to guess what that was all about?" Therese asked.
"No," said Tim and Anfisa in unison. Then they grinned at each other for a moment.
"Let's just enjoy the day," added Tim. "If they find out about it, they'll hate it."
"Like when your lover jilts you," said Anfisa absently. "You're supposed to get revenge by being happy..."

I open my mouth, and then close it again thoughtfully. Of all the things I was expecting, Tim and Anfisa grinning at one another like that was not one of them. Tim... well, when he isn't being all scary and religious, he's a pretty nice guy. Anfisa could use more nice in her life. When she's ready to try men again, Tim might not be a bad option.

Oh the other hand, Tim was practically in a panic when he thought I'd seduced him while he was drunk. Anfisa, meanwhile, tends towards passivity, unless goaded to an agressive stance. I fear that neither of them would make a first move on their own - and that Tim might react badly the day after.

Ah well. They'd be cute. Plus, I bet Anfisa would help losen Tim up a bit. When he isn't all stressed out over 'sin' and stuff, he's pretty cute. There was a reason I was attracted to him when we first met... before I got to know him.

"Go ahead," Therese says, "I'll be right back."

I watch her go regretfully. She looks really good in that dress. I bet she's tracking those three Tsuirakuans - judging by the crystal orbs and swearing - to see what's upset them. I sigh softly and go back to looking at the boring memorial.

Ten minutes later she returns. "Tsuirakuans," she tells us. I keep my face neutral - we already knew that, didn't we? Never mind, move on.

"So they were upset about the Memorial because it celebrated the deaths of their countrypeople," I say softly. Well, it confirmed my earlier guess anyway. "I wonder what news they got - it certainly upset them." No way to tell, I guess.

No one else seems to have a better idea than I do. I shrug. "Oh well - what now? I think I'm good on war memorials for the time being."

-- Desiree
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim nodded. "I agree," he said. "And you're probably not that big on church architecture." And I'd rather not have the brothers around the local church eyeing you instead of the icons. "So - let's try the Farmer's Market." The worst that would happen there would be a few untoward jokes about vegetables that had grown into rude anatomical shapes. And those jokes were older than the Scriptures, and hadn't brought the world to damnation yet.

On the way there, Anfisa's step was lighter than before. Maybe she had had a bad experience with Iokim, and maybe for the moment she felt it was "no men anymore ever" - but the simple fact was she was still a pretty girl, out in public, and getting noticed, and noticing that she was getting noticed. She wasn't flirting with the passerby - she'd never been that kind of "mistress" anyway - but who could blame her for liking it? Only she really wasn't looking her best, was she? When she spotted a foreign-looking hairdresser, she took one of Desiree's hands in both of hers and gave her a pleading look.

An hour later, Tim, Therese, and Desiree were still waiting. Enjoy this. They'll hate it, thought Tim. Enjoy this. They'll hate it. Enjoy this. They'll hate it. There was something to be said for the celibate life after all...

...but from the sounds of things Anfisa was feeling happier by the moment. Now all she needed was something to wear for the Court of Inquiry.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

Only she really wasn't looking her best, was she? When she spotted a foreign-looking hairdresser, she took one of Desiree's hands in both of hers and gave her a pleading look.
An hour later, Tim, Therese, and Desiree were still waiting.
...but from the sounds of things Anfisa was feeling happier by the moment. Now all she needed was something to wear for the Court of Inquiry.

OOC: One small ret-con - you didn't consider Desiree's own thoughts on the matter. :p /OOC

I follow Anfisa's gaze to the hairdresser and sigh. Well, it isn't like this brown gown is doing anything to stop people staring at me. Screw it - let's give them something to look at.

"Sure, why not," I say brightly. I turn to Therese. "Care to join us?"

-- Desiree

OOC: Tim can still enjoy his wait - and I'll leave it up to Graybeard whether Tim is waiting for two or three young women to get their hair done.

OOC2: I have no idea what kind of style Desiree is going to get. She has a simple braid at the moment... thoughts?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Therese hesitated over the invitation for a few seconds. When not traveling in disguise, she normally wore her long, flaming red (save for that one incongruous streak) hair loose, or tied modestly with a single band in back, with no attempt at styling; it would be thought pretentious in Refuge-Nouveau. On the other hand, they weren't in Refuge-Nouveau any more, nor in Goriel where she'd have to keep her hair well hidden. So why not? And if this young priest thought it would help her with the interrogation tomorrow, and help her blend into a foreign city that she didn't know, well, all the better.

"Thank you," she smiled at Desiree. "I will." [OOC: Women's hair styles aren't exactly in my usual area of knowledge. Drusia, please feel free to get Therese set up with whatever makes sense, given her general Bernadette-like demeanor. Incidentally, I've always pictured Desiree wearing her own hair long and loose. /OOC:]

--------------

Sister Rose started back toward the cells with Argus, to see what was in this glowing letter, but Brother Merton held up a hand. "Uh, ma'am, he said this was for Dr. Cle-- Clei-- Clay-vine's eyes only."

Then why did the ninny give it to a Veracian priest? she thought. He's still hostile to Veracia to this day, to the point that I'm astonished he consented to be a guest of that panel. With that kind of attitude, surely he'd be expecting it to be "inspected," never mind that I don't think this man has the magical skill himself to do it. Equally surely, he could find someone who would, though. So what was Kitaura thinking?

But then the only possible answer became obvious. There must be some kind of magical defenses on the thing. Kitaura doesn't fool around, either. Whatever they are, they're probably serious. And yet ... I'd really like to know the contents, not just as a servant of Luminosita, but also out of concern for ... my ... friend ... husband ... love ... whatever Argus is to me.

I'm going to have to resolve that.

<"So what are we going to do about that limitation?"> she thought at Argus, hoping he'd have a better idea than she did.

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim, of course, had no input whatsoever on how the ladies should wear their hair. I like being a priest. I like being an officer. It is doubly a life of duty. Duty is its own reward. Dear Lord, get me out of this hen pen...

Anfisa was very much at home discussing styles for all three of them, and fussing over the other two, with the touchy kind of fussing that had first signalled to Desiree what Anfisa might be game for. She definitely thought they should do a little shopping after this - "We want to make a good impression, don't we? How do they feel about off-the-shoulder? I know it's not a local fashion but they know we're not local, don't they? And maybe if they aren't looking us right in the eye they won't be so scary..."
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus sighed. <"I think Kitaura set some defenses so it can only be read if I read it by myself. So screw him. Give me about ten feet and I'll read it out loud. Well, through mind-speech. You know what I mean.">