Return to the Southern Continent

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Return to the Southern Continent

Post by Drusia »

"You know this neighborhood?" he asked. "'cause I've got a yen for a civilized meal 'fore we push off into the wilderness again. Like some raw fish, for example."

"That was 'mazing Drusy! We were there, and then we were here and then... oh..."
"Yeah! But towel first." She agreed. "Y'made me wet Drusy."

I remove a towel from my pack and hand it to Tamina. A traveler should always carry a towel.

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself," I tell Tamina. As she dries off, I turn to Udo.

"Sashimi it is then," I agree. "I know just the place...."

Twenty minutes later, after a pleasant walk through the rest of the city garden, we arrive at the Tower. It is notable due to it's location near the edge of the city - and the floating island the city is built upon. We head up the stairs and I get us in to the dining room with only a brief wait. It helps that we're not at a peak meal time.

Our clothes aren't quite up to the standards of the Tower, but a few coins in the right pockets get us a nice table anyway. We're seated out on the balcony.

It is a singular experience, being able to look out over the edge of Tsuirakushiti from a high enough vantage to really appreciate being on a floating island. The Tower is designed to evoke just that. As far away as it is, it's wonderful to be able to see the ocean.

"Hope you like the view," I say, flipping open my menu. Now... what to eat?

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Note: possible new player character being introduced here, depending on the outcome of some PMs. If he sticks as a PC, bio/backstory will follow. If he doesn't, well, it's not like I don't have others to write about ...]

"Welcome," the maitre d' smiled at the three travelers, although he paused to blink at the smallest one; like most people in Tsuirakushiti, he'd never seen a kobold before. A quick calculation went on in his brain. Aha. This strange creature must be a familiar, a particularly unique one from the look of it. That meant that her mistress must be ... significant. His smile turned into an unexpectedly deep bow.

"My name, distinguished guests, is Khoo," he said when he straightened up, his voice showing an accent that was definitely not that of the sky city, although Udo and Drusia couldn't place exactly where it is from. "How may I assist you this fine afternoon?"

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina smiled cheerfully and flapped a hand in greeting at the maitre'd. The kobold turned the menu around in her hands a few times, tried unsuccessfully to pronounce the names of some of the dishes, then shrugged.

"Could I be assisted to the fish this afternoon please? And drink... umm... swog-gles old per-cul-i-ar? Like the apply stuff." She elaborated.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Udo had to admit the hot elf had elegant tastes. He'd imagined they'd end up in a crowded pushy spot where "personal space" lost all meaning. In that case he'd been planning to put Tamina in the middle. Those perverts who lived around here would just love any excuse to be pressed up against her lithe young kobold body, and it was important to spare her from that. By being pressed up against it himself. But here there was actual room.

He pursed his lips in a suppressed grin as Tamina ordered this "Swoggles Old Peculiar." He'd never seen her drunk -- and without Jamie's bad influence, who knew, they might escape the experience without breaking any furniture? She might even have to be put to bed...

He stuck with rice wine for himself, and an appetizer such as might be snacked on while gaming all night, and for the main course - good old raw fish rolls with rice and horseradish. (Hadn't there been some in the wagon where he'd met Tamina? No matter.) He picked a different kind than his companions, in case they felt like sampling from each other's plates.

[OOC: As per the other threads - I might be back very soon or it might be a week; feel free to push Udo along as needed.]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Go get 'em on the surgery. I'd normally use the old theater expression "break a leg," but under the circumstances ... Note that there is a little detail below that may or may not be in accordance with plans. If it's not, it's easily retconned.]

Khoo smiled as he took the order from the strange mega-familiar. "I will have to check to see whether we have any 'Swoggles Old Peculiar' on tap, miss. The Artifex Sashimi Palace prides itself on our extensive selection of beverages, but we don't get many requests for that one."

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"My... umm... friend bought me one in Port Lorrel." Tamina replied, the cheeriness fading in her voice as she remembered Jaime's absense. "S' a cider. S' nice."

Her ears drooped, she turned and took a sudden interest in the artwork on the walls.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

That seemed a rather odd thing for a familiar to say, Khoo reflected as he smiled, bowed again, and retreated to the kitchen to put in the order. However, familiars were odd things. He hoped soon to have saved enough money for one of his own.

Money didn't seem to be an object with that party; it looked like his surmise about the power of the tall, attractive woman was correct. That being the case, a bottle of Swoggles Old Peculiar could certainly be obtained. Magic flared in the kitchen as the chef (who, of course, was far more wizard than cook) fired up a teleportation system that communicated with a restaurant in Tsuirakushita, far below (and beneath...) them. That name sounded like the kind of beverage they'd have down there.

He took a quick pass out among the other tables, almost all of which were now emptying as the Tsuirakushitians went back to their jobs. Good; that would give him a few minutes to study before serving this late party. He had a test coming in his Advanced Thaumato-Aeronautical Engineering class, and that was one he definitely didn't want to get anything less than a top grade in. A Pocket Dimension opened with a snap of his fingers, and he pulled out a textbook and began to read.

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina turned back to the group after the waiter's departure with a depressed expression on her face.

"Not happy." She said bluntly. "Thinking 'bout Jaime, she runs, runs again, she leaves me, and it... hurts."

She turned suddenly and grasped her burly knights protector's arm.

"Is it m' fault? Am I rep-pul-rip-pulse... ugly?" The last word of the question ended in a squeak. Udo's face reddened as he stuttered a reassuring reply from the kobold's sudden outburst.

"N-no, not at all!"

"Do I smell of tillakah*?"

"I don't even know what that..."

Tamina released Udo with a slight ripping of fabric and turned to the pretty elf sitting opposite with a trembling lip.

"Not hiddy-us am I?"

*- a plant native to the southern continent, scent similar to elderberries
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: It went swimmingly and I will be able to game while I convalesce. No one will ever think Tamina's mother was a hamster...though they might suspect her of eating a few.]

Udo cut in - "Not only are you not hideous, you are positively gorgeous, and any man in this town would be proud to be seen with you. And I can prove it, too! After we have our supper, I'll take you to a shop where men pay good money to buy pictures of sweet, lovely kobolds - though not as sweet and lovely as you." He gave her a reassuring pat. "What say?" Comic-shop therapy! Wahoo!
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

The link to the surface worked; by the time the first course was ready, so were the drinks, including a bottle of Swoggles Old Peculiar. Khoo reluctantly stowed his textbook back in the Pocket Dimension, alongside his thesis project, and went to serve the strange might-be-familiar and her party.

Somewhere in the distance, an airship's engines could be heard.