Douaga: the search for Brother Dalton

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Re: Douaga: the search for Brother Dalton

Post by Alberich »

Anfisa kept extremely quiet -- a survival art where she'd come from, for sure -- and kept hold of Desiree's hand. She'd have held more than that, only that would've made their clothes rustle.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

If Therese noticed the contact between Anfisa and Desiree, she ignored it, because something else that had fully engaged her horrified attention was happening in the clearing.

The two men carrying the sack lowered it to the ground and untied the laces holding it together, revealing what was within: a girl who appeared to be perhaps ten years old, bound, gagged and wearing a white shroud. She whimpered as the men picked her up again, with a curious gentleness, and placed her in front of the twisted statue. Meanwhile, the woman with the staff reached into her own clothes and produced a large, wicked-looking knife.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Anfisa's grip tightened only slightly. She wondered why these strangers had come all the way out here to perform their cruelties. Back home, if the clan was going to torture or execute someone, they did it in public -- in the feasting hall or a public square. That was especially true if extra cruelties were going to be involved. People needed to see it happening and whisper about it for days or years to come. Out in the wilderness away from everyone? It missed the point. Yes, maybe they had their clan idol out here for some reason (silly place for it, easy for strangers to deface or steal it), but still they should've brought a crowd, or at least the children.

Selfishly she hoped Argus or Mordan rather than Therese would carry out the inevitable magic-powered rescue. It wasn't as if this tiny group would stand a chance against any one of them.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

I squeeze Anfisa's hand and look between Argus and Therese. Isn't someone going to do something?

I mean, I could... try something. But if it doesn't work, I'll be in serious trouble. Plus, I'd reveal our position. I'd want to discuss the option with the others first, but there isn't time and we can't make any noise anyway.

So I look at Therese and Rose again, eyes wide.

-- Desiree

OOC: I can't remember, did Desiree ever get a Mind Speak lesson? I remember there were lessons, but I can't remember if Desiree took part in them.

OOC2: Right, sorry. Your 'narriator voice' sounds very similar to Rose's voice (for obvious reasons, since she's your main).
Last edited by Drusia on April 3rd, 2013, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC:
Drusia wrote:OOC: I can't remember, did Desiree ever get a Mind Speak lesson? I remember there were lessons, but I can't remember if Desiree took part in them.
When this came up before, it was left with the answer "it's up to you." It really is your call, but I think it would make sense for her to be able to do it. The level of magical proficiency required isn't that great -- after all, Jon and Sarine spoke telepathically in Errant Story itself, and Lillith figured out how to do it before she realized that she did have some magical aptitude -- and Desiree is otherwise very good at communication. ;) Finally, Rose originally didn't know how to do it, but she learned very quickly from Drusia -- who's Desiree's mother, let us not forget. I think it would be safe to assume she could do it, but it's your call.

Two points, however. First, Rose isn't at the pass, she's back at the temple in Gona looking for clues, because her church ruled the sinister village of Yona completely off limits to church members. Second, Therese cannot "speak" telepathically, although she can "listen." There's something about the concept that she simply does not get, and not for want of trying. So any telepathic conversations at the pass -- which btw have been treated up until now as "one on one," a character can't just broadcast his/her thoughts and have them understood by everyone around except under very unusual circumstances -- will have to be initiated either by Argus or by Desiree herself, as I doubt if Mordan has any experience with the skill (although I could be wrong about that).

Browncoat
Errant Scholar

Post by Browncoat »

As harmful intent became clear, Mordan felt he had to do something. This coincided well with his natural inability to sit still for long periods of time. Disregarding stealth, he launched himself out with his battlecry.
"Hey! Look at me! I'm a target!"
Unfortunately, the section Mordan launched himself through was Argus's work and he misjudged the strength. Consequently, Mordan flew right over the procession.

[OOC: Next poster please have him snap up his shielding....And take advantage of the distraction :D ]
They kicked me out of the asylum. I miss the jello.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Anfisa's free hand flew to her mouth -- whether to cover a gasp or a laugh would be hard to say.

The six cultists turned Mordan's way - only to see his shield go up just as he hit the ground. If they knew anything about magic, they'd know he wouldn't be an easy one to rush. But what they didn't know yet was who was behind them...
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

For a moment, the six Yonites simply stood in the clearing, their mouths hanging open as they looked at this startling apparition in their midst. Then an excited, high-pitched conversation followed, in a language that neither the party nor their translator gadget understood. Mordan, at least, was able to get the sense of it: "Who 'dat?"

Well, if we can't understand their language, then they can't understand ours, Therese reasoned. "Mordan!" she called. "Act god-like!" (That probably wasn't exactly the best thing to say, but nothing better came to mind on the spur of the moment.) Then to Argus: "Help me with an Earthquake spell!" She began gathering energy and focus; with some luck, these villagers could be scared away, leaving their sacrificial victim behind.

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Mordan!" she called. "Act god-like!"

So much for giving away our position. And I doubt this Mordan knows how to act god-like. Fortunately, I do.

I let go of Anfisa's hand and slip out of my dress. Then I exit the shelter through the hole that Mordan made.

I call upon the power of Anilis, letting her radiance flow out from me, making me appear more beautiful than normal - an uneartlhy, godly beauty. It's a spell for festivals, for bringing the divine to the masses, but as I learned when Tim was about to be killed, it also works to enrapture the weak-willed.

So, time to act like a radiant goddess.

I walk forward, arms outstretched, as if to let them bask in my presence. They... don't move. That's a good sign. Now, to try to walk forward and take the girl's hand. They want to sacrafice the girl to a god? This goddess is here to pick up her sacrafice personally.

-- Desiree

OOC: This is actually the plan that I would have been mind-speaking to Argus and Therese about, had Mr. Mordan not moved events forward rather quickly. If it works, or not, I leave to you all.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Yes, I was rather expecting something like that. And now the intruders will react as I had expected them to...]

If the ritual group had been startled by Mordan's appearance, their reaction to Desiree went far beyond merely being startled.

Eyes wide open, they looked from Desiree to their leader and back and forth and back and forth, as the woman with the staff gasped with her mouth wide open. After a few seconds, a decision was made, and the translator gadget was unnecessary for understanding what it was.

"GAAAAAA!"

The six who weren't tied up fled back into the forest at a dead sprint, leaving the bound and gagged girl struggling at the base of the statue.

Therese allowed the collected magical force to disperse as she spoke to Argus. "Guess we won't need that Earthquake spell after all..."