Clovius and beyond

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Clovius and beyond

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Rose would be back in her normal form, but it probably doesn't matter for what has happened. Tovah has some other business to attend to for the moment, although she'll be back in the picture soon.]

Sister Rose heard Tim out, both verbally and mentally, thinking all the time. He's serious about this. Good for him! There's a need, and he's enthusiastic enough about filling it. Besides, I think the church would be better off with a few more young priests and nuns who see what the world is like beyond Veracia.

When he had finished, she turned to the Clovians, smiling gently. "I'm Sister Rose of the Church of Our Lord Luminosita, with a special dispensation to oversee outreach work beyond the borders of our country." That was true enough, and now wasn't the time to split hairs regarding the difference between Orthodox and Reformed denominations. "I think we have a way to expedite this message." She wasn't going to explain that that "way" was the parrot that she'd had the foresight to place in Argus' custody for the moment. "I'll be glad to forward it with my endorsement, and Luminosita willing, there may even be a response before we head south." She turned to Tim. "First, though, we must confer about some things. Please meet me back at our lodgings when you're done learning about your new flock."

[OOC: Gonna have to think about what to write for Therese and do that in the morning. Her reaction will be positive, but ... conflicted due to her natural caution in an unfamiliar place. Sorry to make Desiree wait, D. ;) ]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim knew enough about his "new flock" already to know he wanted to stay with them, and as for really learning the community, that would take time. He understood that to mean Rose wanted to carry out some other business and speak with him alone.

So he stopped off for breakfast with Enoch and Yona, encouraging them to tell him more about their lives and the other members of the community. He then proceeded with them the rest of the way to the inn. There he asked them to wait downstairs, while he went looking for Rose and the others to see what might be done for Yona.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Afterwards, Therese could not be sure how long the kiss and embrace with Desiree had lasted. Time had seemed to stop while they were in contact, although the pounding of her heart (and... other things) left very little doubt that the clock was still ticking forward. She did, however, know two things. First, she knew that her natural caution when in an unfamiliar place had kept this moment to kiss-and-embrace levels of intimacy, rather than the ... greater intimacy that she was becoming sure she wanted. Well, let's see what we can do to find a time for that.

The second thing she knew was that the lengthy embrace ended when there were sounds of footfalls in the hallway outside the room, and Rose's distinctive voice echoed (softly, of course) in the hall. Yes, becoming more, well, intimate would have to wait. "We, uh, we'd better talk to Rose and see if your outfit meets with her approval," she said, straightening her own shirt and tucking her hair back up under her traveling hat.

Then she added one more thing. "I'd really like for you to come with me to Refuge-Nouveau. I think you'd like it. It's a place where women are free to live satisfying lives as they wish, a place where we can be comfortable, where ... where ..."

She didn't complete the sentence, but applied another, almost chaste kiss to Desiree's mouth before opening the door.

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

She breaks the kiss. I sigh softly at the cessation, my hands falling away from her as she steps back.

"We, uh, we'd better talk to Rose and see if your outfit meets with her approval," she said, straightening her own shirt and tucking her hair back up under her traveling hat.

I take a moment to straighten my own outfit as well. And to readjust my veil.

"I'd really like for you to come with me to Refuge-Nouveau. I think you'd like it. It's a place where women are free to live satisfying lives as they wish, a place where we can be comfortable, where ... where ..."
She didn't complete the sentence, but applied another, almost chaste kiss to Desiree's mouth before opening the door.

"I'd love to," I tell her. I'd like to say more, but the door is open and there is Rose and it's time to go.

Okay then. Time to be... Luminosan. Strangely, I find the idea easier now. Summoning up an air of absolute tranquility, I walk forward.

-- Desiree
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose started to ask "Am I interrupting anything?", but she caught herself before the words came out; it really didn't matter whether she was or not. Instead, she cast a professional eye on Desiree's disguise. "Not bad, not bad at all," she decided, as she made minor tweaks to the robe. "The mixture of Orthodox and Reformed ways of doing things might raise some eyebrows back in Saus, which is where the largest number of people in my denomination live. Out here, no problem; there probably isn't another Reformed nun, or even follower, within a hundred miles, and they're obviously not picky about the way their 'lay brother' priest looks. That's good." And they're growing. I wish the stiffnecks in Emerylon would take the lesson to heart.

She grinned. "Let's go look at the old, abandoned temple, which Tim is hoping may become his permanent assignment. I have to warn you, though: right now it's a den of sin, un-Luminositan behavior, and corruption, so don't be too shocked at what you see... Sister Rae." And I just wish I had a camera, to take a picture of Tim's face when he sees you in this outfit...

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Just assume Tamina's around and in search of chicken if she's needed for anything. :)/OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Waiting patiently for Tim and Desiree to react to the stuff about the temple (and to each other), but since Tamina is on the loose, the following little vignette, which is in character for the town, and may or may not be connected to events to follow:]

Most of the workers heading for the fields, forests and mines were already out of town by the time the Matins service ended, but the store fronts themselves were only starting to wake up, and that included most of the places to eat. It was one such place that happened to be in the path of Tamina's wandering journey to find some chicken, and two elderly women, both with thick glasses, were already installed on the front porch, drinking something that might have been called coffee, eating something that might have passed for bacon ...

... And watching passersby. One peered up through her glasses at Tamina. "Ooh!" she exclaimed to her companion. "Looks like a troll child! Isn't there supposed to be a troll trading party coming to town this week? Maybe they're here already!"

The second woman squinted in turn at Tamina, and she got a look of astonishment. "By the Mountain King, it is!" She turned toward the kobold and called out. "Come here, child! We won't hurt you! We're friendly..." Her voice developed a crooning tone. "You're so CUUUuuute..."

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: Oh, didn't realize.]

Tim had left Yona and Enoch on the ground floor of the inn he shared with Rose and the others. He was on his way up the stairs when he saw them making their way down, on their way to the profaned temple.

His reaction was all they could have wished for. Anyone who considered shock, outrage, and anger to be funny would find Tim's face hilarious at this point. Anyone who didn't, wouldn't.

He stalked up to the party he saw there, and hissed a whisper: "What on earth is this? It's sacrilegious, it's insulting, and on top of that it's stupid, that's what it is!" His tone and looks suggested that Rose's preferred "Shut up, I outrank you," wouldn't shut him up at this point.

The way was narrow enough that they couldn't just walk by him. Tim knew they could get him out of the way with violence, of course -- some among them had done that before -- but they must make the choice whether to talk or to push. He figured they'd all be against him, and they had all the magic and muscle, whereas he had only his voice, his power of moral suasion. But he meant to use that to the fullest before this disgrace went out in public.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC I appreciate the hook Grey, but I'm having trouble picturing how these women could mistake Tamina for a troll, given that with the disguise she has on she could easily pass for human, and even without it kobolds don't look anything like trolls./OOC

"Come here, child! We won't hurt you! We're friendly..." Her voice developed a crooning tone. "You're so CUUUuuute..."

Tamina had found herself drifting in the direction of the old ladies prior to their greeting due to the smell of delicious bacon emanating from their location. At their hail the kobold uttered an involuntary squeak and pulled the hood of her coat around her face a little tighter. Nevertheless, she responded to the call with a polite wave with a glove-covered paw and strolled over in the most inconspicuous manner she could manage.

"Umm... hi!." She said. "Is that..umm... ba-con?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose held up a hand, smiling. "Just relax, Tim. Some kind of disguise is needed after what happened last night. By the way, that wasn't your fault, nor was it Desiree's. Just culture clash." And you'd better get used to it if you're staying here. "But events of this morning say it's the right disguise. It's nice to know that our church is well enough thought of here that Matins this morning could be out in public. Even in some places in Veracia, that isn't the case." Some of which we may be passing through on the way back to Emerylon. The thought did not fill her with pleasure.

"Besides," she added, "remember what it says in the Book of Wisdoms: Luminosita looks not on the outward appearance, but on the heart." In the interest of avoiding further conflict, she'd only quoted the part of the verse that Orthodox and Reformed liturgy agreed on, rather than what appeared in the Reformed Book of Wisdoms, as preserved by her many-times-great-grandfather: "Luminosita looks not on the outward appearance, but on the heart ... when He can bear to."

[OOC: Remember, these two are blind as bats, JR.]