Clovius and beyond

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Clovius and beyond

Post by Drusia »

OOC: Desiree wants to go to Snamish because there is currently no better option.

Previously, Desiree was very interested in visiting Therese's home. It sounded rather pleasnt there to Desiree - matriarchal, if nothing else, which is what she's used to in Snamish. Desiree could be fairly easily sidetracked with an invite or other nudge in that direction.

At this point, I'm not sure Desiree would take Therese to Snamish. There'd need to be some further development with that first. Also, Desiree probably wouldn't bring in a non-half-elven outsider without her mother's permission.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC:
Drusia wrote:OOC: Desiree wants to go to Snamish because there is currently no better option.

Previously, Desiree was very interested in visiting Therese's home. It sounded rather pleasnt there to Desiree - matriarchal, if nothing else, which is what she's used to in Snamish. Desiree could be fairly easily sidetracked with an invite or other nudge in that direction.
Now THAT is an interesting idea.

Let's hear from JR, and I'll try to get Drannin to drop in again long enough to speak for Argus. (I think he'll be agreeable to the happily-ever-after plan for Argus and Rose, but won't presume.) A graceful ending for this long-running thread complex seems within our reach at this point, although I'd probably keep Rose going for some fanfic if the game thread itself does end -- I've really enjoyed playing her.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Edit- Ok, now that I've taken a look at the suggestions I think Tamina would leave with the group. Even though she still has a few suspicions about Tim it's a big, wide world out there with a lot of bad men to get the 'scratchy-scratchy'. That, and for the chance to continue her studies with Argus for a while./OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, looks like we have general agreement on a path forward, although I'd still like to hear from Drannin. The thread isn't going to just curl up and die yet, but it's moving toward completion. To that end, and consistent with what has been happening:]

"Should we stop and collect Tim on the way back to the inn?" Sister Rose asked Argus. It wouldn't be far out of their way, and it might be helpful to hear more about what had transpired during the curious, outdoors Matins service. However, before Argus could answer, a surprise arrived, in the form of one of the messenger parrots, the first one Rose had seen in weeks. It gave the code word indicating an unclassified message and kicked up a leg so that she could get the message capsule.

TO: MAJ Nuria-Lucas, Rose
SUBJ: Where are you?
FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY

We haven't heard from you for a long time now. Is everything all right? We worry, you know.

Actually, we are particularly worried right now because of a most peculiar message received two days ago from Father/GEN(RET) Amalric. I am unable to go into the contents of that message using this medium, but a classified parrot will follow later today with more information. Our purpose in sending this bird ahead of the other one is so that you will have it available for a return message, which should be prepared at the LUMINOSITA'S SECRET level. There are aspects to what Amalric said that are classified LUMINOSITA'S TOP SECRET, and from his weird description, you probably have a better idea what they are than we do. However, the parrots are only cleared for use to the secret level, so a full debrief will have to wait until you get back to Emerylon.
(Rose winced at reading this. If she had her way, she wouldn't be going to Emerylon at all ... I wonder about the timing of ... well, things. That subject could wait, however.)

Please reply soonest. We have only an approximate idea of where you are, and understand that it may take this bird a little extra time to find you. Please reward it appropriately; I assume you can find some crackers, or at least C rations, wherever you are. Brother Miguel asks that we send his regards, and that we remind you that you have a wedding or two to officiate at in a few weeks, so don't be gone long.

(s)Bernie
Bogiel, Bernard, Colonel, Army of Veracia and Our Lord Luminosita

-----------

"Here, let me help you with the veil," Therese said to Desiree. Actually, Sister Rose rarely wore the veil of the Luminositan Church; that was one of the things that the Reformed sect was rather more relaxed about than their Orthodox colleagues. However, she kept one handy for the times when she needed to give an orthodox appearance (in several senses of the word). This seemed like one of those times, not to mention the fact that the headdress would conceal Desiree's ears.

She didn't have any specific ideas about how an Orthodox nun would be restricted in how she wore the veil, but there were just so many variations possible on that theme. She set about pinning up Desiree's long hair and getting things arranged ... but it was just moments before she found herself distracted.

"You have the most beautiful hair," she breathed, entirely spontaneously.

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Meanwhile, Tim and his new companions were heading for the inn themselves, making good time on foot. Yona's friend Enoch the Stonemason, who often came along to help his voiceless friend through awkward situations [OOC: the Little Yid to his Blind Benny], sent a note to his shop that he wouldn't be in this morning; whether Tovah had the time and the wish to come was for her to say. Tim was open with his view that there were no guarantees; there just happened to be several skilled healers in town who might be able to do something, and there could be no harm in trying. These healers were not all of the faithful but the Lord could work through them if he wished.

As they walked, Tim talked a little and listened a lot about Yona's own history and the ways of the Faithful community in Clovius. He was already impressed with their steadfastness, and grew only more so as he learned how they managed to keep the strictures and raise their children in the true faith despite a city of irascible heathens all around. He could imagine a great deal that the Church in Veracia could do for these people, from instructional books and apostolic visits to funds for a new temple or to buy the old one back from the gamblers...but he did not touch on these matters now. It was far beyond his authority to promise any such help, and if he started out by asking it, the wrong bishop back home might read this the wrong way, and have him recalled. Better to focus on what really mattered, as these good people had been doing for so long, pick his battles carefully, and improve things with time.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"Here, let me help you with the veil," Therese said to Desiree.

"Thank you," I reply, staying still. It's nice to have someone fuss with my hair again. Anfisa was really good at that sort of thing. I hope she's doing okay.

I'm still not entirely comfortable with this plan, but at least Rose doesn't mind. And Therese is quite good at disguises. I am quite impressed with her ability to look like a man.

She set about pinning up Desiree's long hair and getting things arranged ... but it was just moments before she found herself distracted.
"You have the most beautiful hair," she breathed, entirely spontaneously.

I blush and smile at her in a way most inapproprate for a Veracian nun. "Thank you," I say again. I bite my lip for a moment, and then I turn, lift the veil that Therese just adjusted, and kiss her softly.

-- Desiree
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina saw the display between the 'nun' and the 'man' (although the latter wouldn't have fooled a Killikah gah on any day; Therese still smelled like a woman regardless of how she was dressed) with a faint embarrassed cough and an edging towards the door. It seemed new outfits weren't on the cards for her today.

"What was that?" She said, cupping an ear at an imaginary call. "K! Be right there!"

The door clicked tactfully shut behind her a moment later.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Therese's eyes opened wide at the kiss, and her pulse quickened a very obvious notch. Her blush stood out the more prominently because of its framing with flame-red hair.

Oh, bless the Five Great Mothers, what now? she thought. Her body was giving her one very definite answer, but her mind was giving a different one. Years of conditioning to survive her trips to Goriel were kicking in, notably pressure to role-play the disguises she and Desiree were wearing. Just how far would a traveling young businessman be prepared to go with a nun of the Veracian Church? she thought. (She might have said words to that effect out loud. She might not. Probably not, but who could say?) But I'm not a businessman, and the Mothers know, she's not a nun...

Oh, the hell with it.

She returned the kiss in kind.

-------------

Meanwhile, Sister Rose and Argus were catching up with Tim.

"We've heard from my outfit back home," she said. "They're asking for a status report." <"And they say there's a secret-level message to follow, about Amalric,"> she added mentally, then went back to open speech. "We should think about what we're going to say about ... say, who are your companions, and what's that?" she interrupted herself, with a glance at the paper peeking out of Tim's pocket.

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"We've heard from my outfit back home. "They're asking for a status report." <"And they say there's a secret-level message to follow, about Amalric,"> "We should think about what we're going to say about ... say, who are your companions, and what's that?"

Seeing that Rose was still in her Clovian disguise [OOC: I'm assuming; can rewrite if not], Tim couldn't very well reveal her as his superior, unless she chose to reveal her own identity. So instead he spoke rapidly and with the confidence of a man who knew exactly what he wanted. [OOC2: And had a mandate to move the plot along.]

"These are highly respected members of the Faithful community here in Clovius," said Tim, and he introduced them by name. "Their faith is so strong, that they've kept it, even though they haven't had an ordained priest for over twenty years. And this" -- he drew out the paper, snapped it open, and handed it straight to Rose -- "is my petition to the bishops, whichever can be found, to be that priest myself.

"Now, I could take it home and present it in person, but I don't think these good people should have to wait one more day. And you know my mission and how close it is to the end, and how easy it is to finish without me now. What I want to do is ask my immediate superior for permission to stay here now, starting today, and assist these good people with their spiritual needs, until such time as my petition can be acted on. And since I know you're going to be in Veracia soon -- maybe you would deliver it for me?" He added mentally - I'm saying it this way because of your disguise. Haven't told them anything about you.

"I brought along brother Yona here for another reason too. He has been long and steadfast in the faith and in this community. But you can see his body has been afflicted for many years." He thought the additional words to Rose: Half-elf. "Since we have so many skillful healers with us, before it's time for everyone to go, I though all of us together could make an effort, to see if anything can be done for him. He understands that there's no guarantee we can. And whatever may happen, he's got loyal friends here, and his heart and his soul are on the right path."

He didn't use the mind speech to add the obvious subtext -- that nothing should be done to make this good but crippled man swerve from that path.

[OOC3: Up to you whether Tovah's here.]
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

Therese's eyes opened wide at the kiss, and her pulse quickened a very obvious notch. Her blush stood out the more prominently because of its framing with flame-red hair.
She returned the kiss in kind.

I feel pulse quicken, and for a moment I think she's going to pull away, but instead she brings up her arm and tightens her grip on me.

I gasp softly, excited and thrilled. Since we lost Anfisa, I've nearly died twice and risked my life at least once; I'm so far away from home. All of that anxiety disappears, if only for a moment. I want to be held, to be touched, to be loved.

I want Therese to haul me down, tear off this habit, and bare every inch of me.

... instead, I hold myself back. I keep my rhythm gentle and unhurried, maintaining the kiss, deepening it only slowly. She is torturously gentle with me in turn. I lean into her shoulder and let my fingers gently trace the side of her face.

This is absoutely wonderful. I could keep this up for hours....

-- Desiree