Clovius and beyond

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Re: Clovius and beyond

Post by Drusia »

Therese leans over, ostensively to pick up what Tamina dropped. Instead - or in addition - I feel her breath on my ear. For a fraction of a second, she just breathes me in - and when she speaks, she tickles my ear in a most pleasant way.

"I think we're safe for now, but we're going to have to be careful in the morning. It sounds like these people are expecting you to commit ritual suicide, or offer yourself to the trolls, or something, and they might not take it well to see you walking around with no intention of doing it. You'll want to avoid being recognized tomorrow. Before we go out, I'll help you get into a disguise." She smiled roguishly, unsure whether Desiree could see it. "I got pretty good at those doing my work in Goriel."

Ritual Suicide? Why on earth would anyone ritually commit suicide? Oh, never mind.

I'm not adverse to the idea of Therese helping me disguise myself. However, not being run out of town takes precident.

"Perhaps it would be simpler to return the gifts and explain that I'm not in mourning?" I suggest softly. "I could say that I'm wearing bethrothal colors from my home town and that I thought they were wedding presents?"

-- Desiree
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim, meantime, had gone back to the inn. He thought it best to trust to common sense and the kobold to bring the girls back there after they finished their supper. By it should be apparent to anyone that the customs of this city were a crazy trap for anyone who didn't happen to know them all.

He'd wait up a little while to see if they returned, so he could talk about what was going on in the morning - and try to enlist their aid, or at least Tamina's. Tovah had admitted she knew about his morning meeting. Just because she'd pulled him out of a bad situation didn't mean she wasn't the enemy -- she might be saving him for some weird pagan dawn sacrifice or a carefully prepared ambush. The more backup he had, the better.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I could say that I'm wearing bethrothal colors from my home town and that I thought they were wedding presents?"

Therese thought for a moment. "Problem is, I don't know who gave you that money purse. I'm not even sure he's still in the room." This was a fair observation; several of the more elderly diners had cleared out when "Tovah" had sounded off like a drill sergeant. Interesting analogy there. She also has that military bearing, that command presence. She's tall and hatchet-faced. She couldn't be related to Amalric ... could she?

"No, I think we're better off just going for a low profile, and disguises, tomorrow." She smiled. "Trust me, I can make them work." The possibility of an ulterior motive was genuinely not in her mind at the moment.

[OOC: So on to morning? Or do we want to play the interaction with Tim in real time? Or does Desiree want to try to talk Therese into going and looking for the guy? Or, for that matter, into something else?...]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: As of yet I don't know who's doing what in the morning. Tim is hoping to recruit Tamina and maybe Therese for overwatch, or at least let them know what he and Rose will be up to, and that he does not trust his alleged co-believers, and also arrange a signal or two - like "if I hold a hand up like this, it means help!." So I think we should at least talk about it before skipping forward.]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: OK, fine. I'll let Desiree and Tamina take the lead in talking to Tim before bedtime, although Therese will obviously chime in where appropriate. Meanwhile, Rose is asleep until morning.

Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"No, I think we're better off just going for a low profile, and disguises, tomorrow." She smiled. "Trust me, I can make them work."

"Okay," I reply. "And, I do. Trust you, I mean."

I give her a confident smile. If she thinks she can make this work, then so do I.

-- Desiree

OOC: I too would like to see where things head tonight.
We can skip to the end of dinner, though, if everyone likes. I know Desiree would like to get out of there ASAP.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, that works. So on to the end of dinner, with a small encounter that's half wrap-up, half set-up for the morrow:]

"And, I do. Trust you, I mean."

Therese responded with a squeeze of Desiree's hand. "Thank you," was all she said, her natural reserve starting to return.

The restaurant may have been a "happening place" by Clovian standards, but it was still starting to roll up the sidewalks by the time the three women were done with their meal. Two rather dowdy middle-aged women were bustling about the place clearing dishes, and one paused at the table, giving Desiree the same look of horror and sympathy that she'd received earlier. "Oh, I'm so sorry, my dear," she gasped, "please let me express my--"

The other woman harrumphed. "Leave them in peace, Hagit. Miss Tovah said to."

The first woman's mouth fell open, and she gasped again. "Tovah was here? Tovah Dragonslayer?"

"The same."

The first woman's face was full of awe now as she backed away from the table without another word.

Therese looked at her companions. "Well, we seem to have gained the protection of a celebrity ... although I have no idea who, how, and why. Let's get back to the inn while that lasts."

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"A celebrity?" Tamina echoed, turning to Therese as the trio got up to leave. "That's great! Be a big help! Erm... what's a celebrity?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Someone who is famous among their people for something they did, or the way they live, or the money they have, or something," Therese answered Tamina. "Sometimes for no good reason at all, except that people think they should be famous. Judging from this woman's nickname, it sounds like she got famous for killing a dragon, and people remember and respect her for that." She chuckled. "Better something like that than for just being filthy rich and spending money in ridiculous ways."

I do wonder about that "Dragonslayer" nickname, though. That thing I saw was almost holding its own against at least four adult male trolls. If she could really take one of those on, well... "celebrity" would be a title well earned, I'd think. She headed for the inn.

[OOC: Tim, I think it's up to you from here. He's been pretty well dusted off and left to fend for himself by "Tovah Dragonslayer," although that interaction promoted him onto the level of People You Don't Mess With in Clovius and he should have no trouble getting back to the inn.]

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC I'm good to skip to a last conversation with Tim at the inn if everyone else is. Got a few days off now so I should be good to write some longer entries. :)/OOC