Saus

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Saus

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Sure you didn't mean six feet tall? I mean, let's make this thing really menacing... ;) Anyway, /OOC...]

The front door began to buckle as the beaver gnawed away at it. Each of the people in the house reacted to this breach of the peace in their own characteristic way -- except one.

Mildred Hamael retreated to the far corner of the living room, clutching her infant child, and began praying, her entreaties to Luminosia punctuated by loud sobs. Jake the dog joined her in the corner, whimpering.

Brother Miguel's not-that-long-ago military training kicked in. He grabbed a poker from the living-room fireplace, cast a quick Iron Skin spell on himself, and stationed himself in front of the crumpling door, crouched in a combat-ready position.

Argus began working on a spell.

And Hildegard bounded to the kitchen with unexpected dexterity, returning with a heavy rolling pin that she wielded as easily as though it were a serving spoon.

None of them were ready, however, for what the other, previously unseen, human occupant of the house did next.

A small boy, perhaps four years old, emerged from the back of the house carrying a stuffed teddy bear. Just as the door splintered into oblivion, revealing the beaver's huge incisors, the boy's eyes glowed red.

"Bad beaver. Die," he said, with a slight lisp.

The beaver slumped to the ground and did not move.

Hildegard dropped her rolling pin, her mouth agape, and traced the Sign of Luminosita in the air. And despite himself, Miguel did the same thing.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Burrrr.....

Something did not compute. And a distant part of Argus considered that a certain odd religioud cult may very well have been on to something. Still, there was a more immediate concern than his abandoned "stone-spike crush" spell... the one he called "the juicer."

It had to do with the small boy who had just killed a monstrous beaver (of all things)... by telling it to die.

And who had sent out a gargantuan spike of magical energy when he had done so.

A level of energy that Archmages fought and struggled to contain.

All unleashed, offhandedly, by a four-year-old. A four-year-old child.

Great... weave... damnation... the power... Even now, the echoes of that force were making Argus' nerves tingle.

Argus suddenly realized that the boy was looking at him quizzically. "I don't know you, mister. Are you a bad person?"

OH$#@&*$!!!!

"I am a very good person." Argus said levelly, a thin sheen of sweat on his forehead. It was not a total lie.

"Oh. 'Kay." The matter seemed resolved for the boy. With a glance at Brother Miguel, the young lad seemed to decide that if one stranger was okay, they both were, and returned to the back room. The room grew very silent as the sound of footsteps receded.

In the silence, understanding and desperate need to know warred in Argus' head. He looked at Mildred, hunched in the corner and not looking at anyone; at the very dead beaver; at the pale and praying Hildegard and Miguel. Needing to break the silence, Argus spoke:

"Talented lad."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

That broke the tension, all right. Mildred Hamael paused in her prayers, and screeched, in a voice that would shatter fine crystal (and in fact did stop a clock that had been ticking in the living room), "JASON!!"

A moment later, a small head poked around the door frame, looking decidedly nervous. The boy stammered, "Mommy ... w-was I bad?"

Holding the infant with one hand, Mrs. Hamael held out the other to her son, and he rushed to her arms for a hug. "No, you were good -- very good. Mommy is very proud of you. But who taught you how to do that?"

The boy still wasn't convinced he wasn't in a world of trouble, but he thought for a second and quietly answered, "D-daddy."

And Brother Miguel, having relaxed from his ready posture and resumed paying attention to his Truth spell, knew that it was so.

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus got a look from Brother Miguel indicating that the child was speaking the truth.

...Extraordinary. The child had just managed a level-nine grey-field-induction-bio-neutralization effect, with almost no incantation. Incredible. His father had to be a tremendous magic-wielder.

The question was was, what kind of magic? And why did everything associated with Father Egbert turn out so strange? Argus opened his mouth, about to ask for specifics on just what the father had been teaching his son, when...

"Honey, I'm home early! Incident at the mine... hey, what happened to the door...?" And Wilbur Hamael stepped into the house, took one look around, and froze.

There was a deep silence. Wilbur was actually the one to break it: "What... what happened here?!" Given the gigantic, dead beaver, shattered door, and room full of pale strangers, it was a fair question.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Hildegard's housekeeping instincts took over as her breathing returned to normal, with commendable speed. "I don't know, but let me help with this mess." She and Argus moved the dead beaver out of the doorway so that Wilbur Hamael could at least get into his own house.

After introductions were made (with the boy Jason conspicuous by his absence) and the recent events recounted for Wilbur Hamael, there was a brief pause while Hildegard and Mildred Hamael tried to bring order back to the living room. "I never seen anything quite like that," Wilbur said. "The old timers say there used to be problems with these things, but they ain't been seen around here in many a moon. This probably needs looking into. But I can't do it."

Mildred was still recovering from this assault on her house, but she asked, "Why not, honey? I --"

Wilbur cut her off. "Well, that's why I'm home early. The boss up at the mine says there's somethin' goin' on that he wants me to make a run into Emerylon to get some help for, something about a rockslide or some such. I just come home to get a change of clothes, and then I gotta get on the road. It's real important, he's even letting me take his best horse."

"But you --" Mildred started, then stopped in mid-sentence. Her husband, who'd looked mild-mannered enough (if understandably surprised) when he first came home, had undergone a change in demeanor that Argus and Brother Miguel found downright shocking. How could such a mild-looking man glower like that? Mildred got the message. "Whatever you say, honey. Let me dig you out a shirt and some traveling plants. Excuse me..." She went to the back of the house.

Odd, Miguel thought. His Truth spell was still active, although about to gutter out, and he was pretty sure that he was detecting some deception in what the man was saying -- maybe not an out-and-out lie, but something about this story was definitely not on the level. He was just about to ask a polite question or two when Jason poked his head around the corner, and father and son exchanged a knowing smile.

And Miguel decided that, while there might be circumstances where it would be a good idea to question a man whose son had just killed with a word -- and had said he had learned the skill from his father -- here and now probably wasn't one of them.

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

It was roughly fifteen minutes later. Argus and Brother Miguel stood side-by-side, watching Wilber Hamael ride down the road on a very well-built horse. Things had gone very quickly. Argus and Brother Miguel had politely excused themself, and Wilbur had given them what amounted to a polite brush-off. Neither had been willing to press things. Not with a man who possessed a literal death-gaze. And heaven knew what else.

Back inside, Mildred and Hildegaard were tidying up, while Argus and Brother Miguel disposed of the beaver corpse. Tossing the body in a hutch out back (for eventual skinning, apparently) caused Argus a pang, much to his surprise. Old memories. Hmph. But there was a more pressing issue.

"I'm worried that Mrs. Hamael may have decided to clam up," said Argus, struggling with a massive beaver corpse. "Still, If we stay polite and keep our questions about Father Egbert, about his past, and roots, I think we can still get some information."

Miguel looked stunned. "Argus, are you suggesting we just forget what happened here?!"

Argus shook his head and looked at the sky. "Not on your life. Not in a million years. This is connected somehow. But we can't be too forceful. Wilbur Hamael didn't bother with us because he had bigger things to attend to; otherwise, he may have taken a closer look at us, and that could have been very uncomfortable. Just a hunch. But if we talk to Mildred Hamael, she may let something slip about her husband. We could also make discreet inquiries about his place of work. Don't think we can question the townsfolk, though. Seems to be a taboo subject." He fell silent a moment. "I didn't like the look he gave us, Miguel. His eyes flashed in a way that gave me the creeps. When we get to Emerylon, let's make inquiries about him. Carefully. I have no intention of being told to die."

Argus trailed off, because Mildred Hamel had just walked outside, with a frail smile plastered weakly over a smile of total uncertainty.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"So ... do you still want to talk to me?" Mildred Hamael asked as she watched her husband ride off.

Argus and Brother Miguel exchanged a look, then Miguel said, "Um, yes, if you don't mind. We still need your help in locating Father Egbert."

Getting back on task seemed to help the small, still-pale woman. "I'll do what I can. I owe Egbert some favors. See, he was the one that first introduced me to my husband. From what I understand, Egbert and Willy were in the military together a long time ago. Neither of them ever talked much about that, but they were pretty good friends. I -- yes, what is it?"

Jason, of the lethal eyes, was tugging on his mother's long, conservative skirt. "Mommy? Why is Daddy going away on Silver?"

Mildred started to growl at the boy, but Miguel had an unsettling thought, and interrupted. "Jason, who is Silver?"

"He's Daddy's horse. Why are they going away?"

Mildred had had enough, and shooed the boy back into the house, with typical exasperated-mother-to-small-child scolding and body language to match. That gave Miguel time for something to sink in.

"Daddy's" horse. But Wilbur wanted us to believe it was his boss' horse ... and I think this boy is more inclined to be telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth than his father was.

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus noted the deception, but did not press the point. It was not the time to press the woman, and never mind her son's capabilities. "So, your husband and Father Egbert were both in the military together?"

Mildred Hamael came back to them with a start. "Oh, yes... they were good friends, as I said. Egbert brought Willy home one day to visit, and well... things just went from there." She shrugged blushing slightly.

Hm. Sounds innocent enough. "I understand they didn't talk about it much, so you really wouldn't know what they did in those days." Commented Argus. "Er... sorry... where are you and your brother from originally?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"A small town called Ramanzel," Mildred said. "You've probably never heard of it. It's close to ... that place."

"'That place'?" Brother Miguel said, puzzled. What "place" might be so repellent as to cause Mrs. Hamael to use that particular circumlocution? Ah ... Lorenzel. He remembered the wedding license. Time for some sympathy ... and sympathetic probing. "Well, I certainly can understand why you'd want to move here, then, to get away from that place. Do you still have any connections to Ramanzel?"

"No," she answered, with a hint of a shudder. "Our parents died years ago, and we got out of there as fast as we could. Some things aren't worth going back to."

Miguel nodded. "I know the feeling... Does your brother feel the same way? Would he have anything to go back to there?" She considered Miguel's question for a moment, then shook her head silently.

Dare I risk one more probe? Miguel thought, decided to risk it. "How about your husband? Is he from around there too?"

"Oh, heavens, no," Mildred said, brightening perceptibly. "He's from just down the road a piece, between here and Saus. He grew up on a farm up toward the Sleeping Sexton -- that's that mountain ridge you can see behind our house," she added for Argus' benefit. "I hate to say it this way, but his was a much more healthy, honest upbringing. Truth to tell, I felt mighty honored when he asked me to marry him. People from Ramanzel don't get many offers like that. And then to move to this nice place..."

Miguel took this in, looking around at what he could see of Heamish in the fading light, and getting the idea that life in Ramanzel might have been a bit ... primitive. In fairness, Heamish seemed nice enough; there weren't any mansions of the mighty to be seen, but neither were there any hovels like what he'd grown up in, down on the Southern Continent. Such houses as he could see looked at least comfortable.

Mildred interrupted his reverie. "Funny you should ask that, though. Just the other day, that girl ant-- anthry-- 'anthropologist,' I think it is, was asking me that very same question."

[OOC: Paging Viking-Sensei -- feel like introducing "Sasha" some time soon?]

Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Post by Viking-Sensei »

Meanwhile, about 1/3 of the way to Ramanzel, a dirty, dusty, muddy, and exhausted woman slowly emerged from the woods along the road. She held aloft a makeshift sign that read "Ramanzel or Bust", then looked into the distance towards Saus while slowly resuming her long hike towards the outskirts of civilization.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?