Nautkia, and the South

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Re: Nautkia, and the South

Post by Drannin »

(OOC: *shrug* May as well)
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

(Sounds good)
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Brother Miguel and Sister Rose were up early for Matins. Neither had slept well, despite (because of?) the almost oppressive comfort of their lodging. Both had had unpleasant dreams; almost identical dreams, in fact. They'd been riding in their wagon (full of uneaten food from the dinner) until they got to a cliff, then watched in horror as someone got out of the wagon and jumped off, landing with a splat in a river below. In Miguel's version, the person who jumped started as Father Egbert and turned into Brother Kelso. Rose's was similar, but even worse: Egbert turned into Kenny. She looked at Miguel, Miguel looked back, head shakes were exchanged, but neither said a word as they entered the worship hall.

Matins were the most "scripted" regular rite of the Veracian Church, even the Reformed branch. There was a reason for this: even the most disciplined, ascetic monks were still human, and still groggy before sunrise. The more they could do by rote at that hour, the better. There was accordingly little opportunity for the priest leading the rite, an older man that Miguel and Rose didn't remember seeing the night before, to work in any mention of Kelso's sad fate, but he finally said something about it just before the final prayer.

And nobody even noticed, Rose thought. Several of the priests and one of the nuns looked to be only about Kelso's own age, and there were two sleepy-looking novices in the room as well. One would have thought that at least somebody would have been close enough to the dead man to react emotionally to the request to pray for the eternal rest of his soul. But no. The entire crowd (nobody except church people; this was far too early for laymen) displayed no more emotion than they would have if the celebrant had called for prayers for the Anuban swamp beast that had been consumed at the fancy dinner. And that wasn't all. The Reformed branch didn't enforce a vow of silence, and there should have been a hushed buzz of conversation in the room before and after, and maybe even during, the ritual. Instead, the priests and nuns kept resolutely to themselves, scarcely deigning to notice each others' presence in the room, and ignoring Rose and Miguel entirely.

The two visitors emerged together as the other participants filed out of the room in silence, each going their own separate way. "That was weird," Rose breathed softly to Miguel, getting a nod in return. "I don't understand the dynamic here. I also didn't see the -- person we need to talk to. Presumably they had the good sense to sleep in. Let's go see if our fellow travelers are ready for breakfast yet, and catch up to that person when we can." They headed back to the guest house.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Sorry for the double, but to tee up the day's adventures:]

"I hope Lisebeth is all right," Sister Rose murmured to Brother Miguel as they headed back for their quarters. "People who know anything about our ... client have had this unnerving tendency to have bad things happen to them. I hope she isn't -- oh, wait, never mind." Lisebeth, or at least a young maid who looked like her, was waiting outside the guest quarters. She stepped forward as the two approached.

"I thought you'd be at Matins," Rose said as she verified that the maid was indeed the person they'd talked to last night. Lisebeth shrugged. "I was." She pointed to an open window on the second story of the temple; presumably it looked out from the choir loft, which hadn't been used for Matins. How had she got from there to here, in time for this encounter? Rose decided she didn't want to know.

"I can't spend much time with you today," the young woman said. "The shit is hitting the fan over the death of that idiot priest. For now, link up with these people in town." She handed Rose a slip of paper with an address on it. "They're almost trustworthy, which is more than you can say for most people in this hell hole. Stay in your cover as priest and nun, and you shouldn't have any problems with them."

Rose and Miguel exchanged glances, and Miguel said, "It isn't cover. I'm a priest in Kiyoka, and so is --", but Lisebeth had already turned away and was trotting briskly toward the dining hall. Well, maybe they'd see her there at breakfast -- or at least she'd see them. "Let's see if the others are ready to eat," he said, and they entered the building, the sun now peeking above the horizon.

A duet of snores was coming from Argus' room; Rose raised an eyebrow until she realized that she'd heard Harker snoring once before. Lillith sounded like she was up and performing one of her weird rituals; at least there was soft chanting coming from inside. That was a bit indiscreet given the likelihood that the rooms were bugged, but Rose guessed that any listeners had other things on their minds at this hour. Cit's and Sasha's doors hadn't been opened yet this morning, from the looks of things, and she wondered if Cit was even on the grounds. That might be something to look into, but first things first. She tapped gently on Lillith's door and said, "Let's get some breakfast." Presumably Argus would follow when he woke up, and as for the other two -- well, one thing at a time.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Morning meditations complete, Lillith rose and stretched, then dressed. She was felling considerably better for the rest, the meditation... She didn't know what it was about the place. Ostentatious it was, and yet somehow, underlying all that, it really did seem a peaceful place. Even with the murder last night.

She sighed, and slipped the paper out from under the foot of the bed, stuffing it into her blouse. She'd go see the people she'd been asked to visit after breakfast. She had to wonder what would be desired of her. Clearly, it was her faith that was prompting this. But did they simply want to talk to one of her own? Or was she recognized as a soon to be priestess, and they desired her guidance? She could hardly guide her own life, how was she to advise others?

She shook the thoughts off. That would come soon enough. Breakfast first.

She wondered if it would be possible to make breakfast as overdone as dinner had been...
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Harker."

"Mnnugh."

"Here." Argus handed his bleary-eyed familiar something. A small piece of stone with a message written on it...? Being blackmailed. Forced Assistance. Talk to me in a secured area. A.C. Harker stared up at Argus, his eyes wide. Argus just looked back calmly before turning back over for another fifteen-minutes shut-eye. Harker was already half way to the door.

In the end, Argus was at a loss. His head was still spinning and he really didn't know what to do. Other than ask for help. Odd, how difficult it was.

Harker, for his part, walked cheerfully down the hallways in plain sight, looking for Rose and Miguel. Who else would Argus ask for help? He knew his master welll enough. As Harker strolled along, he carefully began engraving the other side of the tablet with a rather lurid image of Sister Rose. A maid passing by looked at Harker in shick, then at what he was carving... and Harker suddenly became invisible to her. It was a common theme, that morning.

Harker could be rather intelligent, sometimes.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Wandering down the hall, Lillith noted the creature that mage carted about with him. Recalling the image of last night, she began to color. "Perverted little piece of..."

Then she saw what he was carving. The face was a remarkable likeness, though she was sure she'd never seen THAT expression on Sister Rose before. He was just completing the detailing on one breast...

"YOU... PERVERSE... DISGUSTING..."

She stomped off in a huff.

As she entered the dining hall, heads raised, took one look at her expression, and turned back to their meals and their conversations, voices just a little louder than they had been previously. Lillith sighed and settled down into a seat, lowered her eyes, and began munching on a breakfast roll liberally flavored with butter and honey. "Goddess..." she muttered.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Let's try Sasha and Cit again," Brother Miguel said. It sounded like Argus was awake now, and Lillith was getting ready for breakfast, but Miguel and Sister Rose were still concerned about the others. This didn't seem like a great place to be a half elf out and about without protection -- the temple itself seemed safe enough, but the world beyond ... wasn't.

Miguel rapped on Cit's door, a little louder this time, just as the maid came by, swearing under her breath in a most un-church-like way. The maid saw Miguel as a good excuse to get the disgusting little creature's "art work" out of her mind and paused. "Don't think he's in there, sir," she said. "His bed ain't been slept in. Mebbe he went into town last night and found somewhere else to sleep, if'n you be knowin' what I means. I just be hopin' nothin' bad happen to him." She didn't wait for a response, but continued down the hall and out of the building, still muttering under her breath.

Moments later, another voice echoed in the hall. "YOU... PERVERSE... DISGUSTING..."

"I wonder what that was about?" Rose's voice came from behind him, referring to the maid, not to the angry Lillith, now escaping through the main building door. She hadn't been able to raise Sasha, either. "For starters, how did she know Cit's bed was unused? I don't think she went in -- hello, what's this?" Here came Harker, carrying a flat rock as a waiter might carry a room-service tray. She accepted the stone from him ... and read the message.

"Oh, my," she breathed, passing the rock to Miguel. (Purely by accident, neither noticed Harker's art work on the other side, although that would make itself known later... But she no longer had doubts as to what Lillith's outburst and hasty exit were about.) "What now?"

"I don't know," Miguel muttered, "but I know I want to get in the wagon and head for town as soon as breakfast is done." And I'll use every Detection and Divination spell I know on it before we get going; not only do the walls have ears here, so does everything else, he thought as he and Rose followed Lillith toward the dining room.

[OOC: EDIT: Retconned.]

Templar771
Forum Regular

Post by Templar771 »

Cit was now walking back down the street from the 'inn' where he had spent the night. He couldn't find his lenses so he had his hood pulled up so people didnt see his eyes. He sat down on a bench. He had a minor hangover and was still quite tired; he took a deep breath and smelled the city. It smelt like most other cities but with a more exotic fragrance. But there was something else that didnt quite fit in. It was probably just the hangover messing with him.

He thought back to the meeting he had with the smugglers; he had bought himself some time to think by accepting their offer but he was meeting them this evening back in the tavern for 'drinks' he needed to talk to the others about what to do but he didnt want to get them hurt. It had happened to many times before. He leaned back and thought about his options.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose and Brother Miguel were on their guard as they reached the dining hall. The breakfast itself, they were glad to see, was buffet-style and "practical" (if still ... exotic ...) rather than the elaborate banquet of the night before. Lillith should be able to meet her peculiar dietary requirements (not so much in content as in "presentation," Rose thought) quite well here, and indeed, there she was, sitting at a table and applying herself to a fine-looking bowl of fruit, with a roll on the side. Rose and Miguel looked at each other, exchanged nods, and joined her, their own selections from the buffet scarcely more elaborate than hers.

The hall wasn't nearly as spacious as what they'd seen in Provatiel, of course, but it was still almost empty. In addition to the three travelers, there were three priests and a nun, all keeping to themselves and scrupulously avoiding contact, not just with Rose and Miguel, but with each other. That was very strange, and consistent with what they'd seen of the priests at Last Prayers and Matins. The only real "conversations" going on were between two pairs of novices, all looking furtively over their shoulders, first at Rose and Miguel, then at the priests eating in isolation. Every now and then, one of the novices would speak to a priest, but the older men and woman just didn't seem interested in conversation. The sinister little man with the pince-nez wasn't in attendance, but one of his large accomplices was, and appeared to be scanning the door as though waiting for someone. Otherwise, none of the lay staff were present, other than a server who was bringing cold cuts and rolls in from the kitchen -- Lisebeth? They weren't sure, and she didn't make contact.

"We have to run into town this morning," Rose told Lillith as they sat down. "Sorry I can't elaborate, and it's probably something that just the two of us should do. Do you have anything to keep you occupied for about an hour while we -- hey, what's that?" Argus was coming through the door, looking unhappy, and the large, thuggish man was rising to meet him.

---------

"From Nikolai," the thug said quietly, handing Argus a slip of paper with an address on it. "Go to town and talk to them about -- schedules." (The man's diction suggested that "schedule" was a longer and more complicated word than he was used to using.) "He says hi to your little girl, and he says don't take her with you." The large man left the room without another word.

---------

And in town, Cit was coming to the realization that he was under discreet, distant, and professional surveillance.