Nautkia, and the South

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Viking-Sensei
Evil Admin Overlord
Twitter @: Kallisti_x

Re: Nautkia, and the South

Post by Viking-Sensei »

[OOC: I think there was some confusion as to where Sasha was... I had her more than half-way down the hill, but it appears that she moved up without my realizing it... I have re-edited my previous post to compensate somewhat, adding that she fell half-way down the hill and that Compassion cast featherfall, not on Sasha, but on the armor, so that it would at least slow her down to probably non-fatal speeds.]

"Hello, fish." Sasha thought. "What are you doing out of the water?"

"I'm not out of the water." The fish replied. "You're in it. You're also an impulsive moron."

"Hello, Compassion." Sasha replied, still thinking out loud. She started trudging impassively towards the shore, and emerged a little ways away from the boat. With the calm emotion stone firmly slammed into the other half-elf, even a second's worth of contact was bound to take the fire out of his fire attacks and hopefully make him manageable. That, and she probably knocked him silly. She did not feel so good, however... and took a moment to throw up before staggering over to the rest of the party.
How could a plan this awesome possibly fail?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Part of the problem was that there's no "hill" as seen from where the main party is, just this sheer cliff with a sketchy trail angling down it, no room for trees on that. But it's all fixed now. "Staggering over to the rest of the party..." Which party? The half elves down below, at water level, or Rose, etc., far above? Either way:]

Now it was Brother Miguel's turn to envelop Lillith in a silent, comforting hug, an experience he found strangely agreeable; Lillith shared certain -- attributes -- with Sister Marilyn ...

When he looked up again, he could see the half elves boarding the ship, far below. One looked like he'd been hog-tied, and was being carried by two of the others; the madman who'd cast the magical destruction, probably. A short woman and the apparent leader of the half elves were engaged in an animated conversation; presumably Lucy Kankaniel and the half elves were working out terms. Lucy didn't look too distraught at the news that her cargo would be the group rather than her brother; they probably paid better... A short distance downstream, debris from the decoy was floating slowly along, carried by the river's none-too-vigorous current. Well, that seemed to have worked, at least. The tall half elf waved at the party atop the cliff, then boarded the ship, followed by Lucy.

He turned his attention away from the scene, and from Lillith, as Sister Rose and Argus approached, her face unreadable (now that was a rarity for Rose), his still showing signs of fatigue. They watched the boat in silence until it pulled away, then Rose gave voice to a question that had been on everyone's mind:

"Well, now what?"

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Sleep, Argus almost said, but restrained himself. Weave, he was tired. A ways away, he saw Harker making his little way towards them. Well, seemed like there was no trouble there.

"So... Egbert?" Argus had a sinking feeling there. Sister Rose closed her eyes and shook her head. Damnation. So their primary objective was gone. Which was a hell of a title for Father Egbert, but there it was.

"...It's your show. But if you want... we can follow the Father's trail. See where he was. Where he was going. Get some answers." Argus shrugged.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose nodded uneasily. "You're right. I think it's important for us to know --" for me to know, anyway -- "just why Egbert did what he did. At the same time, we're going to have to report all this." She had no way of knowing that the death had already been "reported" by and to others with even more of a stake in Egbert than the Veracians had. "Let's head for Lorenzel and then Ramanzel. Lillith, if Luminosita smiles, we might even find someone there who'll be willing to help you get home..."

[OOC: And on that note, it may be approaching time to bring this topic to a close, since it's now at our usual maximum length, and start a new one. However, it isn't essential; the thread isn't that long. Is there anything anybody wants to do before a "Lorenzel" thread is set up? There'll be opportunities while we're on the road to Lorenzel for us to fill in backstory, stuff that happened off line here, interactions among characters, etc.]

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

(OOC: Seems like a good stopping point to me. If you want, we can do a 'filler' thread just describing some interactions while we head to Lorenzel. Or we could just have all that be the first couple pages of the Lorenzel thread. Your call, GB)
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]I'm good with a shift. In fact, I'm going to get really radical here and make a wild suggestion. Right now, both threads are facing points that could result in days...nay... weeks of travel with nothing really to interrupt it unless we break out the "random encounter" charts. It's quite possible for plotiness to take place during this travel, but it's equally possible for nothing important to take place. This being the case, it may be interesting to do a Fast Forward, starting a new thread for each, wherein a fast summary of travel and minstrel eating takes place before the groups both wind up at someplace of note.

Just a thought. The movers and shakers that are weaving the tapestry of fate may have other ideas...[/OOC]
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sareth wrote:[OOC]I'm good with a shift. In fact, I'm going to get really radical here and make a wild suggestion. Right now, both threads are facing points that could result in days...nay... weeks of travel with nothing really to interrupt it unless we break out the "random encounter" charts. It's quite possible for plotiness to take place during this travel, but it's equally possible for nothing important to take place. This being the case, it may be interesting to do a Fast Forward, starting a new thread for each, wherein a fast summary of travel and minstrel eating takes place before the groups both wind up at someplace of note.

Just a thought. The movers and shakers that are weaving the tapestry of fate may have other ideas...[/OOC]
OOC: That's feasible here, although it occurs to me that there is one loose end to be tidied up in Nautkia that I'd forgotten about. However, I would prefer not to fast-forward the other thread, at least not yet. For one thing, I'm making an attempt there to get Layla into the action, at least from a distance and possibly up close. For another, there is linkage between this thread and the stuff going on in the other one with Elke, which is intended partly as backstory and partly to create a "hook" for introducing new characters. This one can advance immediately, but if you don't mind, let's allow just a few exchanges of snark in the other one before advancing it.

Short contribution here to address that loose end shortly.

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: The promised loose-end tier-upper...]

"I don't know what was going on behind the temple," Father Nestor said to Sister Rose and Brother Miguel. "I don't want to know. Neither do you."

Rose and Miguel had called on Nestor to express their thanks for his "cooperation" in their quest; it just seemed like the kind of thing that should be done. They were really hoping he wouldn't ask too many questions, and they seemed to be getting their wish, in spades. I think I understand now, Rose thought. He's not explicitly part of the smuggling gangs, but he knows exactly what's going on here. He also knows which side his bread is buttered on, and why he's got this ridiculously wealthy temple to preside over. Luminosita's Nethers! Is there anybody in the Church down here who hasn't been touched by corruption -- or worse?

She put the thought out of her mind as Nestor sighed -- he really did look saddened by what had been happening -- and continued, "Now, if you will excuse me, I must tend to Brother Kelso's funeral. What a very sad affair! Sergeant Rogeriel, who is responsible for such things, tells me that the tragedy has been officially ruled an accident. How horrible for him, to have to conduct an inquest on the death of his future son-in-law..."

"His what?" Rose and Miguel chorused incredulously.

"His future son-in-law," Nestor repeated. "The man's daughter Lisebeth works here at the temple part time. She and Kelso met in the military, and they were engaged to be married. I haven't seen her since the death of her fiance. I'm sure she must be just devastated."

She certainly didn't look "devastated" when we saw her last night or this morning, Rose thought. Now didn't seem like the time to make an issue of it, though -- to put it mildly. Sympathies were exchanged, blessings were received, and the travelers returned to the wagon, to put Nautkia behind them, the sooner the better.

Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: OK, so new topic is open for business. I'll leave this one here for a while, and unlocked at least for the rest of the day, so that people can wrap things up here if they want to. The new one involves a fast-forward, so retrospectives of the road can also be used for finishing up hanging threads in this topic.