Nautkia, and the South

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: Nautkia, and the South

Post by Graybeard »

"Your skill at manipulating inanimate matter is still famous, even following the ... unfortunate events ... of times past," the little man said. "By chance, have you ventured outside the temple to see your immediate environment?" Argus' blank look was a clear negative, so he continued, "Our temple here is perched at the top of a great sea cliff that rises above the Lorenzel River. The good Father Nestor tries not to advertise that fact; some of the worshipers would find the view -- unsettling. And so would some of the people who travel the waters below; they prefer to conduct their business without worrying about prying eyes. Confidentiality is a key ingredient of certain sea-faring businesses, you see."

He pointed to a painting on the room's wall that Argus had noticed before, but hadn't found particularly significant (or well done). As Nikolai had been describing, a massive cliff wall rose above a river, its rock given a rather garish color by what Argus guessed to be a setting sun. The water at the cliff's, and the painting's, bottom showed sailing ships. "The temple is about here." He indicated a spit of land with a copse along the top, protruding from the cliff and overlooking the water. "It would give a fine, commanding view of the water below, if it weren't for the hedges. But alas, all is not well on this bit of land. The rock at the top is becoming weathered with age. Large pieces break off suddenly and without warning. It would be a terrible tragedy if one of those boulders were to tumble down upon a merchant vessel, don't you think? But of course, it would be ... less ... tragic if it landed on ... some ... vessels than on others..."

--------

Meanwhile, Lillith was hearing a knock on her own door.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

[OOC]Weird. I could have sworn I just posted a post which had Lillith leaving the room to go to the garden. But I can't find it, and so...[/OOC]

Lillith put on the last of her clothing just as there was a knock at the door. A surprised look crossed her face. She hadn't been expecting anything, as late as it was getting. Perhaps Sister Rose had wanted to check the garden further as well?

"Yes?" She called out as she padded to the door, unbolting it. "Who is it?"
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Yes?" She called out as she padded to the door, unbolting it. "Who is it?"

"Miss? I believe I may have something that belongs to you," a timid-sounding female voice came from beyond the door. Lillith opened the door just wide enough to see who was in the hallway ... and suddenly stood rooted to the floor in mortification.

A dainty woman in a maid's outfit was standing in the hall. And she was holding what could only be a goddess pendant, almost identical to the one Lillith had in her own bodice.

"Oh, I'm sorry, how silly of me," the maid said softly, almost inaudible as Lillith gasped. "I see that this pendant isn't yours at all, since you're quite obviously wearing your own ... which must make this one mine." And she smiled shyly.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Stiffly, Lillith, shifted her feet a little, then suddenly she opened the door. She looked out in the hallway to see if any others were there and then, assured there were none, stepped aside. "Would you like to come in?" she asked.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I really can't," the maid smiled softly. "I live in town rather than here at the temple, this isn't really my kind of place. Our kind of place... And it's getting late. The roads out here can be dangerous to unaccompanied women. I'll be okay if I leave now, but I don't want to push my luck."

She reached into her frock, pulled out a slip of paper. "If you'd have any interest in a matched set of these pendants, though, here's an address in town where you might find some tomorrow. I'm sure the people who own them would be glad to see you." She walked away without another word, leaving the paper in a dumbfounded Lillith's hand.

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Mind whirring, Lillith carefully thought. She didn't want to leave the note where it could be found if the room was searched for some reason. But leaving it on her own person might prove risky if she ended up being searched personally, as might happen if they decide they don't like her wandering.

And wandering she planned to do. She wanted to know more about the garden, and the death of the young man that occurred earlier. That meant going out, somewhere that might attract a lot of attention from whoever was watching them.

Quietly she slipped the paper under the foot of the bed, then walked back to the door and stepped out into the hall.
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus opened his eyes and stared at Nikolai. He wants me to be his blasted assassin. And all for the sake of 'protecting' a daughter he didn't even know he had before now!

...A remarkably effective strategy, Argus had to admit. The bastard had certainly found his weak spot. Cirella had once called him a big softy, and while Argus took issue with that... there were certain elements of truth.

This certainly had something to do with the obvious smuggling going on around here. But this fellow was an acquaintance of Kitaura... so was he trying to protect the smuggling... or stop it? Or was this something else altogether.

"What kind of ship would be... less tragic... would you say?" Argus' mind spun with all that was going on. Nikolai smile warmly, with strong undertones of condescension. Weave, Argus had always hated that expression.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"What kind of ship would be... less tragic... would you say?"

"I would not say, Dr. Cleiviein," Nikolai said, his face back to that flat, reptilian look, the bonhomie gone. "Things that you do not know cannot be squeezed out of you. It is better to think not in terms of 'who' but rather of 'when.' One of those 'whens' is expected tomorrow. I am reliably informed that a negotiation is in progress to settle the details. It is unlikely to occur before afternoon. That should give you the morning to consider how to accomplish your ... beautification and stabilization. Such a thing must be done carefully, no doubt."

The little man stood up. "It was a pleasure to meet you, and to bring you the news of your larger-than-expected family. Your lovely daughter is out taking a walk. You might join her; it is a fine night, warm, comfortable, just the kind of thing for a family reunion. Others of those who look after her well-being may also be out walking -- but so, alas, are those who may wish her harm. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes, isn't it? Good night, Dr. Cleiviein." He slipped out the door without a word.

----------

"That's quite a piece of information," Brother Miguel told "Lisebeth." "How do you know?"

The young woman fixed him with a glare; she'd decided (incorrectly) that she outranked Miguel. "Look. I thought I'd made it clear, but either I'm not as articulate as I thought or you're dumber than I thought, so let me try it again. Do you know what 'sources and methods' means? And this place isn't a damn bubble."

Miguel retreated, abashed. "Bubble" was the military shorthand for the unique facilities where top-secret information could be legally exchanged. "Sources and methods" comprised one of the main kinds of information that was held at the "Luminosita's Top Secret" level, to protect the people who risked death (and worse) to get "actionable" intelligence. Of course she was right that she couldn't say anything about sources and methods here. He apologized briefly and let her continue.

"The main thing is that your guy has booked passage with one of the smuggling outfits in town that I'm here to sniff out, and if you say anything about that to anyone, my ghost will come back and torment you for eternity, because I'll be dead as soon as you say it. They're still working out the details, and I've got a guy on it, but I'm pretty sure it'll be some time in the afternoon. Now let's wrap this up before I'm missed. I'll be back in touch tomorrow morning, bright and early. See you at Matins."

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

Lillith angled herself towards the gazebo from earlier. She could see the spot where the murder had taken place earlier, but had refrained. She didn't want to be *too* obvious in her interests. They were being watched, and those familiar with her faith might recognize what she was doing. But why make it *easy?*

Upon entering the gazebo, she drew forth a small wand, and quickly and efficiently consecrated its circumference. The shape made for a natural circle, which only aided her in her task. It didn't take long for her to drop down into a seated position and begin reaching out...

It was easier here. The surrounding natural spirits, the night noises, the cool breeze... Harker was quickly forgotten as she settled in and began to gently commune with the world around her. She quickly found herself embraced by the spirits.

This was a calm, peaceful place, she found. The spirits had little care about smugglers, or the expense of bringing their plant forms to this place. They had their own place in the world apart from the world of men, and they had little to complain about here. The murder had temporarily bothered them, but they had settled down from it, and really didn't care to bother with it any further. There was little to be gained from them in practical terms.

In spiritual terms, there was much to be gained. The communion did her good. She felt lifted and recharged, and gratefully thanked the spirits for their gentle, tickling touches as she broke the circle. Laughing gently she began walking back to her room, knowing full well that she'd be able to sleep well this night.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"What do you think?" Sister Rose asked Brother Miguel, as they made their way back to the guest quarters, the night now almost pitch black.

Miguel hesitated for a long minute. "I'm not sure what to think. I'm almost certain that she's on the level, but at the same time, nothing around here seems to be exactly what it looks like. I also don't know how good her information is." They could just barely see Lillith on the way to the gazebo; they waved, but she didn't seem to notice -- already deep in meditation, probably; she seemed to do that a lot. (Or maybe it was just too dark.)

"I think we're going to have to find out, though," Rose sighed. "This is certainly the best lead we've had yet on Egbert, even though we thought he was heading for Homontel. Does it bother you at all that the other person who said something about him here got dead?"

Miguel snorted. "What do you think? I -- quiet, out of sight," he barely whispered the last part. A small man was heading in their general direction from the guest quarters, his silhouette visible by the light from a lamp at the front door. With luck, he wouldn't have seen them; they were in greater darkness than he was. The two slipped around the corner of the building as he passed.

"The guy with the glasses," Rose breathed. "And he's heading for the formal garden, and Lillith. Should we follow? He gives me a queasy feeling, and let's face it, Lillith does have enemies." Miguel nodded, and they followed the man at the longest distance that limited light permitted. He seemed to be making a bee-line for the gazebo, all right --

-- But then he passed by, seemingly unaware of its occupant (or the odd ceremony that she was doing). And headed for the hedge.

And stepped through the concealed gap.

A few seconds later, there was the click of a door closing somewhere beyond the hedge.

The light was almost gone now, but there was still enough of it for Rose and Miguel to nod at each other. "That clinches it," Rose said. "We have work to do tomorrow morning. Let's turn in; I want an early start." Miguel nodded, and they returned whence they had come.

[OOC: Fast forward to morning?]